Sac Dagger in 8th Ed.? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sac Dagger in 8th Ed.?

Should be nasty if I'm not wrong. I mean being able to find ways to minimize the risk of rolling low, and or getting over 12 PD should be a great way to make magic more reliable and in some cases, absolutely game breaking. I haven't actually fully looked through the book as I haven't gotten to the store yet, but my understanding is that scrolls are just extra DD now. Therefore they're only defense is now DD. That means that if your oppponent has at best 1 less DD than your PD, an extra 4 PD go an insane way to bring yourself back into advantage, or if you have 12:6 suddenly become 16:6. Devastating no? And its allowed because you've used up dice in the spell so you can never run a risk of it being useless as there are always empty dice spaces to be filled. Can also save you from a one die failure and a subsequent loss of spellcasting. So you can 1 die low level spells and PoD with no fear of it ever failing. I mean that makes it fricking amazing for 25 points. So any way, based on rumors, I'm seeing the sac dagger and a small unit of fodder to be absolutely essential as well as crushing. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

I still dont like the Dagger for the simple fact that Dark Elves dont really have any 'fodder' units to sacrifice. Unless you run a unit of 30+ Spearmen
    There are 3 other great arcane items which I prefer to use first (Cloak, Familiar and Tome [which imo is awesome in 8th]).

The Darkstar cloak gives you 6 powerdice for the game at same cost as dagger. For the dagger to give you 6 PD, it costs you 25 points plus minimum 36 points in sacrifices.

The Familiar is great for increasing the range of your spells, and keeping your sorceress safely hidden behind terrain.

The Tome is great for the fact that it gives you a better chance of getting the spells you want (which is absolutely crucial). Also if you roll a high number of PD, it gives you something to actually use them for. (example, a level 2 with only 2 spells doesnt really need 10-12 power dice.. but a level 2 with 3 spells? different story)

I might use the Dagger if we had access to something like a 'Slave' unit, at 3-4pts/model, but sadly no.

Cheers
    Last edited by Manu_Forti; July 15th, 2010 at 05:13.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well first off, I'd only ever use this on a lvl 4. I do see what you're saying but assume the maximum of 5 sacrifices in a phase. That's 35 points (I shield the warriors, they already die enough from the sorc, ha) The thing is, those 35 points should almost definitely go to killing ATLEAST 5 fold their value, if you choose wisely. Plus, in most cases, most castings do not warrant a sacrifice. However it's great insurance for 1 die casting that can help put a ton of pressure on your opponent if it goes, and result in no real loss if you need to sacrifice to avoid an auto fail. I just think the gains can be freaking huge and help to get around the balancing measures they implemented this edition. I'm not trying to unbalance the game, but if you're doing something, you want to do it well and having a potential 4 PD extra on an already big roll makes for a basically unstoppable magic phase, if you time it all right.

Anyway, I completely agree on the tome, I'm running a lvl 2 with the tome which will be great in this edition. I was initially worried about this ed. but I think it could work out to be good fun, hopefully. One thing for sure is we are without a doubt a huge glass cannon now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I either use 2 level 3's kitted out or 1 level 3 and a kitted out Dreadlord, I also use a level 1 with Darkstar Cloak while the level 3 has the Seal of Ghrond, now that the new 8th ed. has come out the magic has got a bit more random, it could either go excellent or really crap for you which I like personally!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree with Manu. those are pretty much the only 3 items I ever take with my Sorceresses. Sac. dagger is pretty iffy where as the other items recommended have seriously good benefits for their points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the familiar lost a lot of use, seeing as terrain offers a lot less cover now. More just for added range now. Also, with true line of sight, you can bunker your dagger sorc behind your battleline and cast over it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

If you play with buildings the FF does have some interesting uses, but for the most part its not the nearly auto include on certain builds it once was.

As I play mostly 2k, I can't bring 2 full supreme sorceresses like I want to, so I bring one Lvl 4 and a lvl 2 with tome. As for lores, I think dark magic is still good for the lvl 4, but I haven't settled on what I want the lvl 2 to use. Probably shadow or metal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd recommend shadow, it's a great support lore for DE. when you can reduce other peoples Str, suddenly they're the ones struggling to kill T3 models. Also the basic spell is insane. So is the last one, str 8 warriors? awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sac dagger with level 4

I thought the major point of the dagger was to cast a spell on a single die (casting level 7 or less), two dice (casting level 8 - 11), three dice (12 - 15), four dice (16-1, etc... and if the spell fails you sacrifice a spearman. That way you will fail almost never as you need 3 with two dice, 8 with three dice, etc...

If you use the Lore of Death you might get 4 spells off with a single level 4 even if you roll low for the winds of magic and quite possible 8 spells with 2 level 4's.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Sac Dag

is great at the 25 pts but its is very very situational

i tend to run a lv3-4 with sac dag in my unit of 40 spears (2k)
    and 2 x Lv2 one with tome one with cloak

also i run dark magic on my 3/4 and death on both Lv2

Dark magic is awesome last game i got 3 bladewinds (thnx to the errata to ignore the re-roll for duplicates on dark) and black horror

my lv2 with tome got sun of xere and soul blight that drops S+T by 1 and final spell was Fate of Bjuna which is 2d6 hits minus targets T wounding on 2+ with no armour saves allowed

my other lv 2 got soul blight and purple sun

now thats 2 x purple sun to pop off thats very evil and soul blight droping the enimes S + T makes it harder for them to wound me and easier for me to splat them fate of bjuna is a snipper spell for killing hero's and lords in units hit by soul blight as it targets a single model
    my regular oponet will generally pop his DD to try and stop the 2 suns from getting off which is fine as it leaves me the 3 BW's to pop un interupted which can deverstate most units using the dagger to force myself over the min cast if i just fail by a couple of pts the only risk the dagger actually has is that the extra dice it gives can cuase IF/MC which as i tend to use the Lv3-4 last as death gives extra dice if ur lucky per wound cuased to the PDP which ofc makes it easier to cast the next spell the IF porton is not needed as my opponent will gernally have no DD left and the MC is most unwelcome at any time

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast