Master BSB on foot- Which magic banner to take or should u take one? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Master BSB on foot- Which magic banner to take or should u take one?

i am wondering what magic banner to take on my BSB on foot, or should i take one at all? and what unit would you recommended i put him in. I was looking at magic banners and the only one i really like is the Banner of Nagraythe, and im not sure if it is worth the points. I am playing 3000 point games and dont have alot of points for heros left since i am including shadowblade, just because i want to try him out. So any advice for this will be helpful, Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Banner of murder is always good. In a unit of Spearmen it helps them and the same for a Black Guard unit. More failed armor saves means more combat resolution.

So, put him in the BG or a strong unit of spears.
    40K: Tyranid, Necron, Space Wolves
    Fantasy: Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

duplicate
    Last edited by Romulus; August 12th, 2010 at 16:58.
    40K: Tyranid, Necron, Space Wolves
    Fantasy: Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    Banner of murder is always good. In a unit of Spearmen it helps them and the same for a Black Guard unit. More failed armor saves means more combat resolution.

So, put him in the BG or a strong unit of spears.
    Except those unit can already take those banners... You don't exactly need a magic BSB to do those things. The only DE book BSB banners I consider are the banner of Nagarythe (which is a huge effect and can effect other unit's combats) and the hydra banner, which increasing the number of attacks on particularly hard hitting units is good. Don't have the main book in front of me, but I imagine there is a few worth taking there.

The real question is how bad is a BSB going to get hurt when he can be picked out in CC and has no magic items? Depending on the unit and banner this is a pretty importnat question, but only you can answer that.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I find I'd rather use a normal BSB for leadership instead of high-end buffing like he did last Edition. The Hydra Banner was great fun with a Cold One unit but, now that Stubborn is everywhere, I no longer see the point. It does no good to kill 20 models on the charge if the survivors merely test on Ld 9 or 10, probably with a reroll, and then make me test on something like Ld 5 in the second round.

I'd advise against the Banner of Murder for our Core units. I see a lot more 1+ saves than 2+ so I don't think it's worthwhile unless the unit is naturally S4.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take a Bsb with the Hydra Banner on foot, then stick him in my 13 strong Black Guard unit which already have Banner of Murder and voila that's 31 attack at strength 4 AP-2 striking first at I.6 and always re-rolling .. Massacre

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Massacre? Assuming no casualties before combat begins, since there's much more shooting these days, your opponent will likely be steadfast and certainly be able to hit back (unless he's wiped out). Against any big block, or medium block of heavy armor, I don't see that unit doing what it did last edition.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I play most people I just lie and say this unit is shocking and so-so then got into combat with 12 Chaos Warriors and put 24 wounds on them.. That is nasty shame he rolled double 6 on the Eye of the Gods before hand.. :/

If I told you that, I'm afraid I'd have to kill you
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

When I tak one, which is no often, I give him Hydra Banner (as all banners of 50pts> can be, as previously stated, taken without a BS. and put him in an already hard-hitting unit like the black guard, although they wouldn't be quite as good as darkelffanatic indicated, they cut through most infantry. Or I'll give him an ASF banner and put him with the executioners, as they have little defence of their own and usually suffer severe casualties. Plus the hero himself offers some good attacks.
    Worshipper of Dice
    Last game: Victory Dark Elves vs High Elves & Orcs & Goblins
    WDL: Dark Elves:37/6/8 Space Marines:7/3/3

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

The only wa to get a BSB with Executioners is to put it on a Death Hag becuase of the khanite rule some people seem to liek to try and forget about this.

if i take a BSB on foot its always gonan be the Hag anyway as i can tool her up ith giftsof khaine as long as i dont take one of the two magic item ones and then throw her into executioners or witch elves and always the hydra banner as the ASF one is notr worth the points any more only army we dont go b4 is highelves maybebut thats fien as they loose their re-rolls and we keep ours

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast