Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
hey guys, i am knew to DElves, and so far have bought units pretty much as the mood takes me. i have 10 corsairs im probs not gonna use because i built them so they dont rank together well. i have a master on foot (or dreadlord) with hand weap and shield, again cz i like the look of him. and finally i couldnt resist some cold ones, but havent completed them yet and thought i had better sort that out before i waste more money.
heres where you lot come in. i have several questions.
1) i am thinking of running a squad of 10 COK's with master BSB, with at least one magic banner (+d3 combat rez one) , full command. master could be equipped with basic banner and magic weaps ect. and also ring of hotek for anti magic.
2) what should i do with my corsairs? i would like a unit of them at least, and am eyeing the battalion box as a route to cheap armydom. so the 10 i have need not be the ones i use, but what do YOU guys use them with/for.
3) Supreme sorc... what to give her? Dark magic or Shadow?
4) dark riders with Xbows? i know at least one gun line empire fanatic and am sure there are other gun liners in my local store, where we are quite competetive and most of them dont see the shame of powergaming. should i use some to screen COKs ?
5) shades, are they worth it? and how do you use them (also how many do you use)?
for some helpful info, my army is going to be 1500pts, and im probably going to have Xbowmen cz i love RXBs. also i hate basic warriors, and wouldnt even be contemplating Xbowmen due to the models if the idea of repeater bows werent so cool.
i know this is a lot to ask, and feel free just to pick little bits, any and all advice is appreciated. thank you
1) I currently run 5 CoK's @ 1000 points and they are more than worth their points value, So I'm planning on running 10 of them at 1500-2000+ points and i was also going to run them with the BSB (converted from CoK box set) so it would be something like this: 9 Cold one knights, Musician, Standard Bearer, Dreadnight(ironcure icon), Master, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance, Cold One, BSB, Hydra Banner. Totaling 498 points
Reasons CoK's get shot to hig heavn by the big guns becuase they are scary so Ironcure icon which gives the whole unit a 6+ Ward save Vs Warmachiones is a must especially with the BSB in the unit and you would be supprised just howmany 6's you do actually roll. Hydra banner is a bargin +1 A to everything in the unit EVEN MOUNTS! Ring of Hotek isnt really worth taking for a unit as you wont be using it to hunt down enemy wizards due to its erreta, "Page 102 – Ring of Hotek
Change to “Any Wizard (friend or foe) attempting to cast a
spell within 12" of the wearer must roll on the Miscast table on
any roll of a double, but will only cast a spell with irresistible
force on a roll of double 6.” " it is how ever worth giving to a master/dreadlord on flying mount to use to hunt down enemy caster's and or warmachines.
2) Corairs are great do not let teh nay sayers convine you otherwise two things to remember about them however Do NOT! give them hand bows 8" range you should be charging into melee combat make use of the slaver rule and the horde rule where possible im taking a unit of 30 at 2000 points just for this. Basicly 20 Corsiars + FC + Sea serpent standard thats 3 A's each for the front rank 4 for the unit champ then 1 each for the back ranks so my unit of 30 (ofcourse depending on if they reach combat) will be chuccking out a maximum 51 attacks ok they are S3 but with High I and great WS, Oh and dont forget RE-ROLLS to hit (1st round of combat unless Vs Highelves) that makes them an absolute awesome combat unit add on to that the fact that you can force them to re-rollt he distance to flee making them easier (in theory at least) to over run and kill.
3) The Supreme Sorceress now this depends on if you are going to mount her or not. I have now play tested all of the magical lores we are allowed to use and i tend to roll really bad for power so each has been tested fairly mostly 3-4 PD per phase with the very rare 6+ PD. this is what i have found Dark magic is GREAT but due to relativly short range she needs to either be mounted or put into a unit that is going to be moving very fast across the board (see corsairs above). Shadow has some very very good Buff's and debuffs and has moderate range so she'll be fine on foot. Metal GREAT spells some great buff's +1 to hit at range and in melee and some even betetr debuffs Plague of Rust -1 Sv for the entire game and its cumlative even against lower sv value armies this is killer as you can remove armour completly from your enemy in 3 turns i complety removed the armour from dwarf warriors in my last game then i charged them with my CoK's Fire Ignore this lore Death Needs to be Flying due to range and how the purple sun works. all in all from the two lores you suggested Dark magic if mounted ground or flyer shadow if on foot in a large unit. on a side note if on Foot Sac Dag is well worth it you can 1Die PoD then and if it fails just spike a spearmen and get it off
4) Dark riders HELL TO THE YES Xbows as fast cavlery they can march and shoot thats 18" march then 24" shots even with a unit of 5 thats 10 shots with an effective range of 42" (including movement from deployment zone) as to screening its now only hard / soft cover modifioer to be shot at but a -2 to hit the CoK's will get them into combat a lot faster and safer
5) Shades are assassin bunker for warmaching hunting - 5 shades AHW - Assassin - AHW, manbane, Rending stars ok the reasons shades being scouts deploy on the enemys flank After all other deployment so you know exactly where his warmachines are. Assassin will jump out and throw the stars into warmachine now this is where the combo comes in S3 assassin manbane Doubles S to one higher than targets T to a max of 6 so Vs a T7 WM your now S6 Rending stars are added after manbane your now S7 so your now wounding them on 4+ and as the modified S is used for amour calculation its now a -4 save even Dwaves are now dying with no save for the crew
if you would like i can write you a competitive list based around the battalion and the 10 corsairs you alrdy have as your local store contains many beards just drop me a PM
thank you very much for your help, and appreciate your offer of help with an army list, i will drop u a PM once i figure out how lol
For 1,500 points this is a bit excessive (perhaps even for 2,000). Plus the BSB cannot take magic weapons. But a unit of 5-8, say, with either the BSB or a master with a ring of hotek isn't a bad idea.1) i am thinking of running a squad of 10 COK's with master BSB, with at least one magic banner (+d3 combat rez one) , full command. master could be equipped with basic banner and magic weaps ect. and also ring of hotek for anti magic.I use them with the two hand weapons. Generally they attack mid-level enemy infantry blocks.2) what should i do with my corsairs? i would like a unit of them at least, and am eyeing the battalion box as a route to cheap armydom. so the 10 i have need not be the ones i use, but what do YOU guys use them with/for.Dark magic is my preference.3) Supreme sorc... what to give her? Dark magic or Shadow?Dark riders without repeater crossbowmen are basically warriors on horses, in my opinion. It gives them +1 to the As, sure, and +1 S on the charge, but they'd get cut to ribbons anyway. But due to their fast cavalry status, they have a massive line of sight and in addition to being useful as ranged units, they're not so expensive that you would be particularly devastated were they to be annialated.4) dark riders with Xbows? i know at least one gun line empire fanatic and am sure there are other gun liners in my local store, where we are quite competetive and most of them dont see the shame of powergaming. should i use some to screen COKs ?I use up to 8 (low AS + T3 +relatively high points value = cannon fodder). Sometimes I use great weapons - on the charge they can be devastating.5) shades, are they worth it? and how do you use them (also how many do you use)?Take a hydra, they're like tanks, and having a T5 unit is useful in an otherwise uniformly T3 army.for some helpful info, my army is going to be 1500pts, and im probably going to have Xbowmen cz i love RXBs. also i hate basic warriors, and wouldnt even be contemplating Xbowmen due to the models if the idea of repeater bows werent so cool.
Worshipper of Dice
Last game: Victory Dark Elves vs High Elves & Orcs & Goblins
WDL: Dark Elves:37/6/8 Space Marines:7/3/3
I always take the Ranger Standard for my Cold One Knights. Cavalry charging that unit who thought they were safe in the wood? Thank you. I sometimes run a unit of 14 led by Malus Darkblade.
Also had good success with a Lvl 4 on Dark Pegasus with Death magic. Hope you get Soulblight and fly behind the enemy army, cast on the highest casting roll, and al enemy units within 24" are -1S, -1T. Perfect for picking them off with Caress/Fate. Never really used Shadow, Fire is a bit to unsubtle for my Dark Elf tastes and Metal I've had mixed joy with. if you're just starting out I'd recommend getting to grips with Dark Magic first, then branching out to the other lores.
Corsairs are good. I have 2 units with 2HW and 1 unit with handbows (mainly cause I like to have a unit with each option in my armies). Handbows are not to be underestimated, you can ALWAYS stand and shoot with them and move and shoot, pop the Banner of Murder/ Banner of Eternal Flame on them and you're good to go. As mentioned above, 20 corsairs with FC and Sea Serpent Standard is pretty much a must if your taking a corsair unit with 2hw.
I use a 5 man unit of Shades with the afore-mentioned Assassin to dance around the enemy, slipping through their lines. Had fun in one game with a tooled up Chaos Lord and his guard of Knights. Kept moving round out their charge arc while he kept turning to face me, all the while killing them off with the S6 rending stars.
ALWAYS TAKE BOLT THROWERS. I've seen a lot of hate for them, which I don't get, as they have never failed me (well, once, but that was against Dwarves.)
Hydra needs no explanation.
Personally I'm a big fan of Spearmen. In 7th ed I used to run a block of 30 (5 wide, 6 deep) and had great success. In 8th tried running a horde of 40 and had no success, until I stuck a BSB with the Banner of Nagarythe in there. Now run 2 units of 35 spearmen (5 wide, 7 deep). Nearly always Steadfast with auto +4 CR (+5 on one unit which carries the War Banner). Those units are going nowhere...until Plague, the Dreaded 13th Spell or Dwellers Below hits them (I hate Skaven and Lore of Life-spamming ethereal Slann).
But hey, these are just my opinions, it's up to you what you put in, theres no right or wrong way to build your army. Unless you put the Ring of Hotek on a Supreme Sorceress....that cracked me up. My opponent wasn't amused as I laughed when he revealed it in a DE vs DE match.....
At the end of the day, you've picked a great army to start playing with.
Ty. It hasn't failed me yet. Touch wood.