Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Playing a game this upcoming Thursday against a friend who runs wood elves. Wondering which units people would recommend. Hydra is must as my opponent runs a treeman. It's only a friendly game, so double-hydra list is out. I just got a Cauldron of Blood, and after using it in the past two games, it's awesome, so it's a must.
Other units I was thinking of fielding were:
Big block of spears (I usually run 50 with an assassin and supreme sorc using Lore of Shadow with sac. dagger in them)
2 Bolt Throwers, just cuz they're always handy
Small unit of crossbows with muso so they can quick reform to shoot any glade riders that sneak around them
Master on a dark pegasus or master/dreadlord on manticore to take care of any glade riders or wild riders. Probably armed with deathpiercer to negate any forest spirt ward saves.
20 Black guard, I don't know the points value off the top of my head, but if it's possible I'd give them banner of eternal flame and maybe throw in a master. Use them to chop dryads into nice tiny bite size pieces.
Small unit of dark riders (7 is the size I usually run and they work out well)
Maybe another sorceress with fire magic
Knights I find relatively ineffective, especially as my friend likes to run a lord using the bow that fires as many times as he has attacks, with arcane bodkins, which negates armour saves. The last time he played his lord snuck out and popped off 3 of my 5 knights right at the start of the game.
Debating taking corsairs, as the sea dragon cloaks would be handy against missile fire.
Usually I like to run one large unit (the spears) with a smaller auxiliary unit of 20-30 models (maybe black guard or corsairs), then have a few smaller fast units to help out where needed, i.e. Master or dreadlord on manticore or dark peg, dark riders, the hydra... Backed up by one or two units of 10 xbows, reapers, and the hag/cauldron BSB there to buff everything.
Anyways, if you guys have any tips or tricks to kill those wood elves that'd be awesome. Also, what's the best way to kill a treeman? Don't say with a big axe...
I've never played wood elves, but based on some background knowledge about them...
A big unit of witches with the flaming banner could be a good thing to have. Lots of attacks and their poison will bypass high toughness. And of course they will cause problems for his flamable units. ItP and stubborn around the cauldron is pretty nice too.
I would consider metal magic instead of fire on that 2nd sorc. Metal still counts as flaming and the damage attacks bypass the toughness and armour of the treeman (and whatever higher armoured foes the wood elves have). That flamable T6 and 3+ armour of the treeman is a perfect target for searing doom. Metal also has some nice buffs. (edit: now that I think about it, I'm not sure scaly skin counts for figuring out metal magic "to wound" roll so that might make this idea useless)
Not sure where deathpiercer negates ward saves. Killing blow still allows ward saves. If you want to try and get around ward saves, take the Other Trickster's Shard on your flying lord.
Well, like I said, I don't have much experience against WE...so just are just a few thoughts that popped up in my head.
Last edited by JL177; December 12th, 2010 at 15:00.
The treeman is about the only thing in the woodelf army with an armour save better than 5+ (except for a magic armoured noble/highborn). Which makes metal relatively ineffective when you're wounding on 5's or 6's for everything else. The buffs are nice, but there is no guarantee I'll roll them with a lvl 2.I would consider metal magic instead of fire on that 2nd sorc. Metal still counts as flaming and the damage attacks bypass the toughness and armour of the treeman (and whatever higher armoured foes the wood elves have). That flamable T6 and 3+ armour of the treeman is a perfect target for searing doom. Metal also has some nice buffs. (edit: now that I think about it, I'm not sure scaly skin counts for figuring out metal magic "to wound" roll so that might make this idea useless)Treemen, Dryads, Wild Riders and Treekin have the "Forest Spirit" special rule, which provides them with a ward save of 5+ Ward Save. However, this ward save is cannot be used against magic attacks (Spells, magic weapons, etc...). Therefore, a master or dreadlord armed with a magic weapon could easily hunt wild riders, rear/flank charge dryads, or help support attack a treeman.Not sure where deathpiercer negates ward saves. Killing blow still allows ward saves. If you want to try and get around ward saves, take the Other Trickster's Shard on your flying lord.
I'm torn on the witches...they put out a lot of attacks, but they also get shot to pieces, even if I do put the 5+ ward from the Cauldron on them. Almost debating taking corsairs instead, just for the guarantee they'll make it across the table in one big stabby piece.
Wood Elves play totally different in 8th, a lot of their choices have become semi redundant but several are immense,
1. Treekin are hard as nails in big units and tricky to shift if run in MSU
2. Treemen are good against us because we lack the uber war machines of other races
3. Lore of Life Spellweavers can ruin your day by buffing their own troops to T7+, or dwellers...
4. Glade Guard massed fire brings the pain against all elves, and banner of Eternal Flame can help them even bring down the mighty Hydra at range!
So are we screwed, in short no
1. Witch Elves with flaming banner are AMAZING against multi wound flammable targets
2. Lore of Shadows is your friend, lower archer units BS, lower forest spirit toughness and Dryad Initiative and break out the old mindrazor, our units generate so many attacks that you can tear through any of his units.
3. Glade Guard are weak, firing volleys of RxB shots at them will net you many easy kills (particularly if you lower their toughness first)
4. If he is running a life mage, he is target priority number 1, in my experience competitive Wood Elf armies rely heavily on this magic lore!
Hope this helps!
How do you expect to defeat me when I am forever and you are just a man...
kinda late post, but i play wood elf myself so i have some tips for you.
1. Your opponent will most likelly send in at least one unit of tree kin and tree man. That combined with a lore of Life magician and you have a nearly invincible fighting machine. Combine that with flanking attacks from dryads and Wardancers on units withered down by glade guards.. Ouch!
Consentrate on killing the mage FAST, and use as much flamin as you can as the tree kin and man will dropp very quickly and if it's magic they lose some more saves as well.
2. The archers aren't that dangerous on long range if you move right. keep your hydra AWAY from them especially if they have flaming banner.
3. gang up on his tree kin/man as hey can rip through almost anything they face alone. the strike last, but they have massive saves and can take a punch with 3 and 6 wounds respectivelly. and with 18 s5 attacks from the tree kin and 6 s6 attacks from the tree man + thunderstomp and stomp! Not even the might hydra can take all that, and most units will lose lots of troops. if these two units are out of the game he's pretty much beaten.