War Hydra tactical question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

War Hydra tactical question

hey i just had my local store order me a war hydra (gotta support the store so that i have somewhere to play at lol) and i plan on useing it in almost every game i play because it looks like it can be very effective and from what i've read on the forums people seem to advocate them quite alot. But what i'm wondering is how i should use it... Should i have it running around by itself? or maybe use it in my formations as a unit to have on one of my Corsairs' flanks (normally its two 5x4 warrior units since my command squad is based on makeing my 6x5 unit of corsairs a power house) with my 5x3 unit of Black Guard on the other flank? Or is their another unit i should use it in conjunction with (preferably not another hydra since i can't afford another one right now lol)? i don't really know alot about Hydras despite what i've read on these forums, so any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

They're fine on their own usually.

Six attacks from the beastmasters
    Seven attacks from the beast itself
    2D6 breathing into combat if you don't shoot
    1d6 Thunderstomp at S5
    Two 4+ saves on top of that to survive with 5 wounds.

Very little will get through it without ganging up on the poor thing. If there's a mass combat chances are you'll have more units there anyway.
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

Just be careful thinking that its invincible, its good but can still be taken down, quite easily if your opponent expects it.
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hydra is great, but be careful, it can be fairly easy to loose the combat just on CR if you go up against a big block. Usually the only way I loose the hydra is being cut down. You are fast and fairly agile with it, so make smart decisions about combat and you should be able to use it well, especially if you come up against just average shooting.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The nice thing about the hydra is its versatility. Unless it gets flanked by something like white lions, or something else ridiculous and unlikely to happen, it stands up rather well (though beware heroic killing blow brets...) In this regard it makes a great stand alone monster, but in my experience a better anvil. It -almost- always holds for the first round, and by golly with 2d6 S5 (if your lucky) + 7 S5 + d6 S5 with hatred, and 6 S3 with that same beautiful rule...it does enough damage as to not loose to bad due to static combat res. Whatever is left standing can be mopped up with a secondary charge by just about anything, CoK's if you can make them work in 8th, black guard, execs, etc.

Of course its raw killy power makes it a nasty hammer... Hold up a unit with a giant block of spearman (I use about 30-35), and then charge. Voila, minced whatever. I mean if it eats through that many spearman to negate this... it probably should have been killed with magic anyways (I'm looking at you Chaos Knights..).

Personally, I run two in just about everything at 1500 points, but at my club people accepted that I'm going to bring something nasty that I'm rather good with tactically so I don't really get cried cheese on too often. Of course I have to do the same in return, but you get the idea.

The bottom line is, add the hydra, and use it until it either gets nerfed or re(read properly) costed in the next book. You'll never leave home without it.
    Last edited by Kura; January 12th, 2011 at 03:01.

+ Reply to Thread