Corsair questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Corsair questions

Hey team,

So couple questions about corsairs. I usually run them as a horde of 30 with SSS and Dreadlord/crown of command. I try to pair them with a unit of 35 spears and BSB.I haven't had much luck with them as of yet. Perhaps it's because I'm using them wrong (My last game they were facing off against a horde of 40 BSB'd, warrior priested, wizard speculumed halberdiers. Normally I would expect the frenzied corsairs to butcher them, except the halberds had Speed of Light cast on them: extra attack, I10, WS10 and the corsairs were down -2 WS, -2I due to Mystifying Miasma). The halberds also had a detachment of swordsmen, which was engaged by the 35 spears and chased down. In retrospect I suppose it would've been better to charge the halberds with my spears, take the swordsmen counter charge in the flank, then charge with the corsairs into the halberds (allowing 5 corsair models to contact 5 halberds, 6 models fighting, minimizing the halberd attacks coming back at the corsairs).

The main point I want to ask is, are hordes of corsairs effective? They should be used as a hammer unit, and being in horde formation makes them relatively unmanouverable and difficult to charge flanks.

Thoughts, comments, welcome and appreciated. Cheers!

Last edited by bkde; August 10th, 2011 at 04:00.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Lo,

If you look at it its easy to see why you lost combat and its not so much to do with the combination in your unit. You had lost every advantage you would normaly have against halberdiers due to the spells cast on them. They ended up with higer Int, higher WS, 3 ranks all with 2 S4 attacks. Then there was a warrior priest who probably made them unbreakable or stubborn or whatever his bound does now. There isnt much any unit would have done agasint them.

Hordes i find are good, if your trying to get in the way or have throw away unit designed to cause dammage or die. Somthing that isnt going to effect your game massively if they die, i.e. chaos marauders are excelent at this as are empire due to there cheapness. You will be hard pressed to find a general in a horde unit except maybe ogres for the very reason that they are unmanouverable. Using them in the way you seem to is an all or nothing gambit, and in this case it didnt pay off. Elves are not cheap as it is and you would be hard pressed to find many hordes except spearmen unit or unacompanied corsairs, but they wouldnt be used as the brick holding the army together.

Alot of elf armies tend to field there units just 6 or 7 wide and rely upon there better stats (except T) to win fights and fall back on occasionaly these days having more ranks than the enemy. You may not get the extra rank with only 6-7 wide but you do get some more attacks than the basic 5 wide rank and remain manouverable.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

If you look at it its easy to see why you lost combat and its not so much to do with the combination in your unit. You had lost every advantage you would normaly have against halberdiers due to the spells cast on them. They ended up with higer Int, higher WS, 3 ranks all with 2 S4 attacks. Then there was a warrior priest who probably made them unbreakable or stubborn or whatever his bound does now. There isnt much any unit would have done agasint them.
    Okay, well obviously that makes sense. It was a Storm of Magic game; which is absolutely brutal by the way, magic is incredibly dominating and almost causes the game to see-saw back and forth depending on who's magic phase it is. Additionally, due to the Arcane Fulcrum rules and being able to deploy within 6" of a friendly fulcrum, the corsairs and halberds were almost within spitting distance of each other. Anyways, that's all info I should've included in the original post.

The main point is hordes of corsairs, good or bad? Originally I thought of a horde of corsairs as an anti-horde unit. But they really haven't worked for me. So I'm almost thinking, is it better to field them as a block of 21, or 18? But then they seem almost too small to be a combat unit and often get shot to bits before they reach combat. Using corsairs in conjunction with spears is a must, 5x7 "slavetrained" spears, tie the enemy up, pound them in the flank with a smaller unit of 21 frenzied corsairs?

Although Saltrock you make a good point, having a dreadlord with crown of command in with the corsairs seems to contradict the strengths of the unit. They aren't suppose to stand around and be forced to rely on stubborn, they should hit hard with a boatload of attacks, re-roll the (hopefully few) misses with hatred and win the combat. As soon as corsairs lose and are forced to rely on the dreadlord/crown's stubborn ability, they'll have lost frenzy as well as hatred, which is the unit's main advantages...

p.s. And luckily during the storm game I had the item on the dreadlord which gives the unit different bonuses depending on the lore in ascendency. Shadow was in effect that turn, all attacks against the unit (except magical) require sixes to hit, probably the only thing that kept the corsairs alive...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could always do the super nasty gunline version of corairs w/ handbows. I usually take a unit of forty with 2 ranks. When the enemy charges they're facing 40 shots at 4+ to hit. Add in something like the guiding eye for rerolls to hit and this unit is just plain scary to charge. The best part is there might not even be a combat if the opponent misses the charge or flees from the casualties inflicted.
    nothing like inter species cooperation!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Corsairs are good at what they do (hacking enemy infantry to pieces), however often suffer when they are put up against a non-horde situation (a unit of 18 can only take down something like 2 and a half Chaos Warriors in one round of combat whilst they will suffer significantly higher losses). The other use of Corsairs is as a small flanking unit that makes use of the Slaver rule to break enemy infantry and let you run them down easily with the -D6 flee dice.
    Also, how did he get both -2 I and WS from Miasma, did he have 2 wizards casting the spell on the one unit. In which case that is like me saying, Corsairs are great if you've just cast Mindrazor on them (like virtually every other unit in our army is). Also, you were playing a SoM game, one that focuses a lot less around hordes of infantry (which Corsairs excell at hacking apart) and a lot more around Monsters (which excell at hacking Corsairs apart). A unit of Witch Elves would probably be a better bet here as they can take down both infantry and monsters and are really great at fulcrum defences thanks to Witchbrew.
    "Take their gold, burn their homes, kill their familes and enslave their souls. Show them no mercy...oh and could you post these letters while you're out?"
    -Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

Just pointing out, Speed of Light doesn't give an extra attack, just WS and I 10.

Miasma cast on the highest casting value is a -D3 to all of the stats, not just one.

I run a Horde of Corsairs for fun if I fancy doing something different, but I prefer to run units of 20 for flanking or for taking out a small fragile unit, hopefully causing a few panic tests. I prefer Witches over Corsairs, I only take Corsairs if I need an extra 250pts of Core or if I'm running a Corsair army.
    Fantasy - Dark Elves, Warriors of Chaos \/ 40K - Word BearersChaos Space Marines

Vargarna i Vinterkylan
    Chaos Warriors Army Project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I havent had much luck with my corsairs either bkde i run them in a horde 10x3 with the sss and a master in there and i lost combat trying to take a watchtower from 12 dryads.. it was awful
    Warhammer Fantasy: Orcs and Goblins, Warriors of Chaos, and my newest Dark Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Grey Knights and Dark Angels
    Lord of the Rings: Haradrim

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyfizzle View Post
    I havent had much luck with my corsairs either bkde i run them in a horde 10x3 with the sss and a master in there and i lost combat trying to take a watchtower from 12 dryads.. it was awful
    That was probably because you were trying to take a watchtower with them...I personally leave that to my Black Guard or any unit with an Egglord in it, still with around 30 attacks from the unit you must have rolled fairly badly unless you weren't getting eternal hatred.
    "Take their gold, burn their homes, kill their familes and enslave their souls. Show them no mercy...oh and could you post these letters while you're out?"
    -Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth.

+ Reply to Thread