Need some advice on how to further expand my DE army. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x3)

Need some advice on how to further expand my DE army.

Hey guys,

I just recently acquired two battalion box sets and would like to ask what are the next models/units that I need to purchase? Do I need to grab some Black Guard, a cauldron, witch elves? Any help would be appreciated. Also, I have the character models I need.

Thanks
    Daniel

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Guard are always useful, and since you're limited to 20 they are a relatively painless way to expand your army. Hydras are also good, but people know how to deal with them... If you're going to be running the corsairs from your battalion, then executioners and BG would be the obvious way to go for troops that can dish out a little more high st. attacks. I like executioners over BG just because the ST6 reliably gets rid of high T high armour troops...It may not be a popular choice, but running them in a horde with a hag BSB who has the ASF banner is a great way to mess up most units in the game. BG also do a good job, but I see them as more of a killy anvil unit. So that's essentially your choice. Shades and haripes are also worth considering. If you're wanting to deal with warmachines, they are pretty much a must.

Really depends on your play-style though. I tend to avoid the COB, and that's just a personal choice. I haven't found that it does a lot for me.....it's very useful, but at the end of the day, I see it as more of an expensive crutch. Start without one, and buy one later.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x3)

Alright thanks! Executioners here I come.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

Executioners are a good choice, but they really don;t need ASF to be effective. The Death Hag BSB is about 180pts of 5 WS6 S4 Poisoned attacks, with 2 wounds and T3 with a 5+ ward....

The problem is, anyone with half a brain will go "Oh look, your Executioners go at I5? Well then, I'll just snipe/pick out that scantily-clad funny wifey who's making them go before my troops.". Then they're going last. Like they were before, which is about 180pts spent for one combat phase with a throwaway unit or no combat phase at all. If you're running them as a horde then you don't need to give them ASF, the massed return attacks will mince anyone they touch. Also, they work better in a unit of 20-25 as a supporting unit, hitting the flanks/rear of a pinned enemy unit.

Executioners are great, they don't need ASF to work. Simple.

Bolt Throwers are actually pretty damn good (contrary to popular forum thinking) although you do need at least 3 for them to be effective.

Black Guard are always a great investment, but don't be tempted to go Banner of Murder/Cauldron KB and then run into 1+ armour knights. They'll bounce. Send them in against light units and with S4 AP they'll rip enemy light infantry a new one (Banner of Murder is the best banner for them).

The Cauldron is most invaluable for giving your slightly fragile elite units a modicum of protection with a 5+ ward. I actually rarely use KB or +1A. Plus the 12" Stubborn bubble it gives to Khainite units is near invaluable at times.

Hydras are probably one of the best options in the DE book, because they are cheap. Yes, people know how to deal with them, but people also know how to deal with Steam Tanks, Dragons, Warsphinxes, Swordmasters......in fact, people know how to deal with every unit in the game. It's kind of a pointless statement to make. Funnily enough, Searing Doom is one of the best ways to deal with a Hydra, but you'd be surprised how many people don't take Metal. Any unit you take in your list is a risk, the trick is making them pay off and work.

Chariots are also a good investment as a supporting unit to infantry blocks, but the lack of model is a downside.
    Fantasy - Dark Elves, Warriors of Chaos \/ 40K - Word BearersChaos Space Marines

Vargarna i Vinterkylan
    Chaos Warriors Army Project

+ Reply to Thread