CMC About Cold one knights - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About Cold one knights

From what I have been able to read on various forums (including this one), most people prefer banner of hag graef on their CoK. Was just wondering if anyone would explain why this is a good choice for your CoK? From what I can tell they already have a high initiative and can reroll their hits from hatred in the first round of combat (they only deal lance damage the turn they charge, so having always strike first will only make the following strength 4 hits reroll).

I figure that you would use your CoK as a hammer that breaks stuff on the turn they charge right? Otherwise you might aswell get executioners if you want prolonged effectiveness over several rounds of combat.

Also, how would you run your CoK? small numbers like 5-7 ? or with ranks like 10? (5 wide, 2 deep)

- Thank you

2. ThanksStrassa thanked for this post.
  3. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

Generally, I think most people run CoK's in one of two ways. Either 5-7 with the Banner of Eternal Flame for monster hunting, or 10-12 with FC and the ASF banner. I play Beastmaster themed armies so use both set ups frequently.

The ASF banner is really useful if your big unit of Knights gets bogged down in combat, and will usually allow you to re-roll your failed hits in subsequent rounds of combat - even the Cold Ones will get the re-rolls if your enemies I is low enough. With most units gaining steadfast and with the BSB re-rolls if they fail, it is not gauranteed that you will break your enemy on the charge, though, if you somehow fail to win the combat in the first round something has gone horribly wrong. The Banner of Hag Graef is particulary useful if you run a BSB with the Whip of Agony in the unit, as even he will get re-rolls after the first round.

The ASF banner is a good fail-safe if YOU get charged. Even with my Cold One mounted BSB in the unit, there are times they fail there stupidity check after I've spent most of the game lining up the perfect charge... Only to then be charged in my enemies turn, ASF comes in handy in thse situations as well...

So, there are times when that banner is very handy!

MG

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it
    I get your point with hag graef banner, and I reckon I should try it out just to see the effects it might have. I actualy thought about running my bsb with armour of midnight, great weapon and luckstone with my warriors (1+ save with a single reroll hitting with strength 6) and then have a small unit of CoK with my General on one of the flanks. Was just wondering if gleaming pennant banner is a viable banner for your CoK aswell? Makes you reroll the first failed leadership test (stupidity) and with a dreadlord nearby with LD10 that should only happen once (unless its really not your day). I know most people prefer having their bsb nearby their CoK, but I reckon that warriors with rerollable steadfast isn't too bad either?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

I prefer the Ranger Standard on my Knights....it's amazing how many people think their flanks are safely anchored by terrain. I do take the Standard of Hag Graef on Knights, but only if there is a character in the unit. I've been running two units of 9 recently (one with Ranger Standard, the other with Malus and the Standard of Hag Graef) and it's been working out (except for one game where I failed about 5-6 Ld tests on Turn 2 for a unit of Dark Riders being destroyed....cue entire army fleeing in turn 2...).

As for giving your BSB a great weapon, give him a halberd instead. It does mean you lose a point of Strength but you hit with I7 instead of going last. Dark Elf characters are better with Halberds than Great Weapons, I7/I8 is too good to waste.
    Fantasy - Dark Elves, Warriors of Chaos \/ 40K - Word BearersChaos Space Marines

Vargarna i Vinterkylan
    Chaos Warriors Army Project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Gleaming Pennant is a good, cheap option for small point games - perfectly viable!

I agree with Ravenblade, Initiative is too good a stat to waste. I have two set ups for my BSB:

Armour of Darkness, Dawnstone, Halberd
    Whip of Agony, Dawnstone; Cold One, full mundane equipment

Depends on whether I want him with my COK leading the charge, or on foot anchoring my battle line! Also depends on whether I take Knights or Black Guard, since I generally play 2,000 points I can seldom take both.

Would much rather take a level 4 Sorceress than a Dreadlord, but each to their own

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool. Thanks for the advice guys. I see there are several viable builds for the cold one knights, but thanks for listing the different competitive options. Very useful!

+ Reply to Thread