Is a Crossbow heavy/exclusive list a viable build for Dark Elves? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    95 (x2)

Is a Crossbow heavy/exclusive list a viable build for Dark Elves?

Just curious really.

When I say Crossbow heavy, I mean replacing ALL the Dark Elf Warrior units with Crossbowmen.

Other stuff, like Knights, Black Guard, Bolt Throwers and so on remain, but what I want to know is do you think an army of about 1k points based around say...3 groups of 20 Xbowmen (with shields so that they can double up as warriors with hand weapons in an emergency, but not actively seeking combat) focussing 120 shots on a single enemy unit (prioritising those that'll do most damage first then moving onto weaker ones) is a viable build.

Thanks

Last edited by Blackadder; April 11th, 2012 at 19:41.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Viable, Xbowmen are supposed to make fair backups to spearmen, however it's much easier tons more spearmen at the cost of xbowmen. I mean 3 points difference per model adds up quick. At 60 Xbowmen that's 180 points more than spearmen. Plus if you use a sacrificial dagger I always like to have one unit of spearmen, makes me feel less guilty. Also striking with an extra rank of attacks instead of just 2 ranks helps combat resolution too.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

95 (x2)

I know what you mean about cost - 10pts per model is certainly not as good as 6

Thing is though, I'm not really worried about debating the pros & cons of Xbowmen/Warriors as the core troops choice (although that question does feature heavily in the discussion) but rather, whether or not you think a list consisting entirely of Xbowmen for it's troop choice would still be able to win games - not necessarily in the same way, or as effectively, as one based around warriors, but still, viable and effective in it's own right.

Thanks

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

That's basically what I field. There might be a couple small handbow units but I'm mostly crossbows. They work unless my opponent has a lot of heavy armor (WoC in particular). The main strategic issue is they can't hold the line by themselves once combat begins. Plan accordingly.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

It is viable....depending on points and if you are willing to drop Hydras etc for Reaper Bolt Throwers, which people surprisingly are not (I myself love Reapers....never leave home without at least 2-3).

At 1k, it's doable, and viable if you back up the 60 Crossbowmen with 2 Bolt Throwers and a lvl 2 Sorceress, then spend the rest of the points on a dedicated combat unit to protect your range units.

I've ran an all-shooting army at 3k. The list had a total of 15 Dark Riders, 5 Harpies, 7 Bolt Throwers, 76 Crossbowmen, 10 Shades, a pair of lvl 2 Sorceresses and Morathi.
    Total of 42/7 Bolt Thrower shots and 202 Crossbow shots with 11 spells (one Sorceress has Tome of Furion with Shadow, other has Metal).

I used it once against an opponent I expected to have WoC....instead he ran High Elves with Teclis, who was sat in a 50-man Seaguard unit. Turn one I turned Morathi, the Dark Riders, the Shades and 7 Bolt Throwers on it: 43 died from shooting (Morathi didn't get a spell off thanks to Teclis) and the unit promptly fled off the board, taking Teclis with it...leaving him a lvl 2 to deal with my Magic Phase. One unit made it into combat with me.....4 Swordmasters managed to charge Morathi (I'd forgotten about them...), and they fluffed their attacks and Morathi and Sulephet pormplty beat the snot out of them.

An all shooting list is therefore viable, and taking Crossbowmen exclusively is viable if you back them up with more shooting/magic.

Well....it's viable until you face Dwarves....
    Fantasy - Dark Elves, Warriors of Chaos \/ 40K - Word BearersChaos Space Marines

Vargarna i Vinterkylan
    Chaos Warriors Army Project

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

95 (x2)

Thank you everyone - particularly Ravenblade.

- Do you think in place of the sorceress it's viable to take a Dark Elf Noble instead? - It's just I do prefer the general fluff and so on that the noble has over a sorceress, and he could also accompany the Combat unit to protect the Xbowmen.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread