Dark Elevs Army Help Needed - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i used to collect dark elves, but i got bogged down with lots of small units of DE spearmen, and i had a very thin army which only had 10 witch elves, and a reaper bolt thrower and some other models i cannot recall,
    I was a bit shocking at army building and tactics, but now im a bit more experienced i would like to have another shot at such a tactiful army.

my ideas are to have a lot of magic - dark elf magic if i can remember correctly is actually quite potent, and when u have a sorceress on a pegasus, M 20" u can deal some real damage.

the porblem i have is thinking of special choices:

cold one riders
    witch elves
    (cant remmember what else )

also should i go for a war hydra, or get two reaper bolt throwers?

what i do now is that i need to get the warhamer armies book, becuase i think that might help a bit

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by draken_thor21@Mar 16 2005, 20:25
    i used to collect dark elves, but i got bogged down with lots of small units of DE spearmen, and i had a very thin army which only had 10 witch elves, and a reaper bolt thrower and some other models i cannot recall,
    I was a bit shocking at army building and tactics, but now im a bit more experienced i would like to have another shot at such a tactiful army.

my ideas are to have a lot of magic - dark elf magic if i can remember correctly is actually quite potent, and when u have a sorceress on a pegasus, M 20" u can deal some real damage.

the porblem i have is thinking of special choices:

cold one riders
    witch elves
    (cant remmember what else )

also should i go for a war hydra, or get two reaper bolt throwers?

what i do now is that i need to get the warhamer armies book, becuase i think that might help a bit
    [snapback]354203[/snapback]
    hm... cold ones and executioners would be decent tactics wise but theme wise I'd go for witch elves and shades! Have lots of smal Dark Riders regiments and let your sorceress ride with them, only high sorceress can ride a dark pegasus in 6th ed. Although a magic themed army you'll need a Noble for a good cc fighter.
    For rare choises reapers! I haven't tested the war hyrda yet but they seem pretty cool, you'll need hard hitting units if you decide not to include cold ones.
    So for a Magic themed army I'd go with something like this in unit choises:

Lords:
    High Sorceress: first priority put her on a dark pegasus or manticore, I'd take Morathi as high sorceress if you want to use special characters.
    Highborn: May consider taking one since they have the best Ld

Heroes:
    Sorceress: First priority ofcause and must be on dark steeds for better effect
    Noble: Good in smal games for a good CC fighter.
    **Warning** Never ever give a sorceress a cold one, fear seemes pretty good but at M7 and stupidity, you never get in range for good magics and stupidty ARE going to be a bitch!
    Beastmaster: Cool in larger games when you can put him on a manticore.
    Assassins: Are cool looking and fit into the theme very well, but before you really know how to play them, they often don't do so good.

Core:
    Dark Riders: These are the main core choise, I'd give each sorceress a own regiment of 5 riders. Never go without them
    Corsairs: To have as standard troops, for 10pts they're very good.
    Warriors: I don't feel warriors will fit in (but everyone will say that you should get at least one big block of spears).

Special:
    Witch Elves: First priority... for the theme .
    Shades: They're really good for taking out warmachine crews, if you have the points thake Mengil's Manflayers they are really cool.
    Cold One Knights: Everyone's gonna tell you to take these for hard hitting unit.
    Cold One Chariots: They're good if you have a noble or highborn in them... and are cool for cavalary themed army.
    Executioners: Everyone's gonna tell you to take these for flankers.
    But then I don't think Cold One Knights, Executioners and Cold One Chariots fit in the theme.
    Rare:
    Reaper Both Throwers: Take them! They fit in to the theme AND they're nasty as hell.
    War Hydras: I have no experience with them but since they fit into the theme... take them.
    Culdron of Blood: No experience in those either but if you include witch elves then take one of those too... for the theme again .
    Black Guard: Noone seemes to play well with them... I don't think they'll fit into the theme so I'd say don't take them.
    Dogs of War: Never ever take them... since that's not very dark elvish and they would never fin into the army ;P

if you follow my advice you'll have a very cool looking army... but I don't know how good it's in the battlefield.

Podhammer - The Warhammer Podcast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks a lot for ur advice zhaf, with what u have told me at least i know in what direction im going the the models i am going to buy.

in larger point games would malekeith be better than morathi? (this is just an after though, im not going to include him in my army)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by draken_thor21@Mar 17 2005, 08:15
    thanks a lot for ur advice zhaf, with what u have told me at least i know in what direction im going the the models i am going to buy.

in larger point games would malekeith be better than morathi? (this is just an after though, im not going to include him in my army)
    [snapback]354689[/snapback]
    Dunno... I don't think Malekith is worth the points. He IS very good for fighting troops and such but it's not likely that he's gonna kill troops for 1000pts just for himself. He's not That good at character hunting, a decent lord can give him trouble and kill him about 50% of the time... and loosing to a ~300pts lord isn't very good. I'd consider taking malus or any of the other old/new special characters.
    Usually I don't like characters that costs too much. 500pts is tops for me, I just don't think that they'll win back the points if they go higher.
    But I like using special characters models as lords. Malus works fine as a mounted highborn and Morathi works fine as a high sorceress on dark pegasus... exception is malekith... bouth him and his dragon are just plain ugly :/...
    I'm gonna gonvert a highborn on a dragon with black guard champion top, malus darkblade bottom, lizardmen cronosaur as dragonbody and lotr balrog wings as dragon wings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey, thanks again zhaf, lol, that conversion sounds awesome!
    tell me how it goes (if u remember )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by draken_thor21@Mar 18 2005, 19:47
    hey, thanks again zhaf, lol, that conversion sounds awesome!
    tell me how it goes (if u remember )
    [snapback]355580[/snapback]
    np... I'm currently doing some heavy converting on most of my tyranid big guys so I kinda don't have time on converting DE right now... but it's a planned later project... I've already bought all parts I need
    anyway good luck with your army.

+ Reply to Thread