Is this worth it in a 3000 point game? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this worth it in a 3000 point game?

I can't quite decide whether to financially invest in this, unless I get some advice whether its worth actually taking in a 3000 point game or not...

Dark Elf Highborn, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield
    Black Dragon
    Draich of Dark Power, Heartstone of Darkness

However clocks up a terrifying 558 points...

What does everyone think? I've noticed a lack of dragons in 100% of the fantasy games I've played, and never seen anyone use one (except in a dogs of war army, and it got smacked down quite quickly...by uh...me haha)

Its got a lot of strength 6 attacks, causes terror, and pleanty of wounds. I think there's several benefits to using such a figure;

1. Absorbs pretty much all the enemy fire/magic until its dead.
    2. Looks pretty
    3. Takes up 500+ points of an army- that's very hard to kill
    4. Its fast, brutal and causes terror.

Downsides...

1. its 500 points
    2. I've never really seen them being used...there must be a good reason
    3. a lucky round of crossbows, and I've lost a huge chunk of my army.

What does everyone think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally I don't like dragons... bot the mini nor their profile. They're way too easily killed and it requires alot points. I've accually never seen dragons win back their points in any game. Well unless you wanna convert a dragon to impress by your converting skills then I have to say leave the dragon at home... The highborn will do just as good on a dark pegasus or manticore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that they are a lot of points, but is it really that hard for something this powerful to take out 500+ points worth of figures?

Get round the back of an empire army for example, take out a couple of war machines and a unit or two of shooty stuff-

Ok so it might not quite be 500 points worth, but the impact of having a dragon behind enemy lines, not to mention the ability to save that group killing hundreds of points worth of my stuff?

I've used tooled up chaos lords in 40k before, and they don't usually make up their points in kills- but I've had them win me games before because of the amount of stuff that my opponents waste trying to kill them, and the amount of beserkers that get ignored as a result.

I don't always agree that a 500 point figure has to kill 500 points worth of stuff to be "worthwhile".

Yet... It is a lot of points, and I do need to have a think about it more- thank you very much for your input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

really the dragons gets killed real fast... the fastest time I've seen are by two boltthrowers in turn one. And two boltthrowers are what 200pts in DE chase. Ok they doesn't go down that fast all the time... shure terror is good but both the manticore and war hydra have terror, and generally a manticorre survives just as long as a dragon at only (almost) half of the dragons cost and are about equal in effectiveness.
    I know that a model worth 500pts doesn't have to take out 500pts woth of enemy models (I play nids in 40k... I know very well how to use Lictors and gaunts to be effective even if they doesn't win back their points), but what I'm saying is that a manticore or even a dark pegasus can be just as davestating as a dragon... and if your opponent can't see that then he/she gotta learn not to underestimate these creatures. There is a reason why dragons arn't used very much... and that reason is just that they gets killed way to fast AND they're very expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for all the feedback guys, I think I'll go ahead with the dragon on the grounds that I really like the figure and have some nice ideas for a highborn model.

As for using it regularly in an army; I think that it will be a rare occurance, and that ultimately I should think very carefully before using it at all.

Thank you all, I appreciate your help.

Matthew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

draich isnt worth it IMO. Get the gauntlet of power and sheild of mystic light or whatever. That allows you to dish out strength NINE attks. which is fairly good when you rush into ironbreakers or whatever.

in the cupboard under the stairs at my house
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i love dragons500 Vp's for a lucky warplightning spell?

how does a ratling gun sound to you?

etc.

dragons arent the be all and end all take manicores/ hyrdras - more for your money and the hydra is just as good if not better.

and it keeps your t3 highborn safer if he isnt sitting ontop of a giant arrow magnet...

Lord Foamy

return of the mighty SNAKE MAN!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by THE.
    draich isnt worth it IMO. Get the gauntlet of power and sheild of mystic light or whatever. That allows you to dish out strength NINE attks. which is fairly good when you rush into ironbreakers or whatever.
    The Mystic Shield of Light doesn't provide +1S so The highborn have S8 with the gauntlet.

I'd like to go with god'ol Shield of Ghrond to make him T4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ooops my bad, strength 8 is pretty damn high anyway. :p

+ Reply to Thread