DE Magic at 1K Pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DE Magic at 1K Pts

Hello All,

The purpose of my post is to find out what other DE generals thoughts are on Dark magic at the 1000 pts level. I'm currently in a build campaign that will be at the 1000 pts level for the next 4 weeks. I have been building various lists to use before the 1000pt tournament at the end of the 4 weeks and have had a hard determining whether or not to include a Sorceress (or two) in any of my lists.

So the question: What are some of your thoughts as to how effective a sorceress can be at 1000 pts? Would it be more benetiful to take a Noble instead?

**Note: I can only take 25pts worth of magic items in these lists.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't that helpful...hehe but;

In a thousand point game I field this;

Sorceress, Level 2, Dark Steed, Wand Of Kharaidon.
    = 182pts (you can't field this, since WOK is a 40pt item)

It's a big point sink, but she nearly always proves worth her points.

Level 1 and 2 dark elf Sorceresses(sp?) in very small games can be pretty deadly, but I've found that the basic first level spell is pretty awful, so you're praying for DoomBolt or Word Of Pain at that points level.

A Level 2 Mage, with maybe Darkstar Cloak would be useful, and mounted on a dark steed could join a unit of dark riders for mobility.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

I would take a couple of sorceresses, give one of them a power stone and pray for black horror. Or give her the staff that allows her to put as many casting dice into a spell as she likes. If you get black horror of it can rip a unit in half and ruin your opponents day completely. Likewise dominion can be pretty useful if your opponent has few units.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to totally disagree with Lurch here, praying for a natural six at the start of the game is a really bad idea.

If you roll a 1, you're left with a sorceress with a black staff doing nothing all game. Plus, lets not forget the fact that in 1000pts a lot of armies will have a dispel scroll tucked away somewhere, and relying on one spell to win you a game is a really bad idea in general.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

I also mentioned getting dominion, which can be incredibly useful. Or word of pain, or doombolt. Lets face it whatever you roll for a level 2 sorceress she is going to get something useful. If she gets black horror then all the better. Alternatively give her the tome of furion so a level 2 sorceress gets 3 spells instead of 2.

Don't seem to recall mentioning praying for rolling a six either, nope just reread it and there is no mention of asking any deity if they would be so good as to ensure a 6. Unless you class saying "if you get" as praying, which wouldn't exactly be that sharp.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome advice and great discussion. Many thanks to all that have reply.

Just to give you a little feedback, before anyone had replied to my post, I played a game with 2 level 2 sorceress's, one equiped with the darkstar cloak. It was wonderful!

One sorceress had chillwind & word of pain. The other with the darkstar cloak had doombolt and black horror. I was playing against a skaven horde and punished them with spells. Pay you mind that I was very lucky and only failed to cast one spell the entire game. One major highlight was black horror killing 17 clanrats in one spell!

I really liked how at 1000pts two sorceress's worked and I believe I'll use them again. At least until I get burned!!!

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

If you take a Sorceress, upgrade her to Lvl 2, and give her that magic item which gives her an extra spell (I don't have my book with me), there is a good chance you will get atleast 2 spells worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

+ Reply to Thread