Black Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Guard

What do you think about the Black Guard?

I know they're stubborn and great in combat, but they cost loads (pts)!

Help is aprreciated...

Do you play chess? Join the chess clan! Also part of The Musician Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Erm, I can't remember how much they cost now, but I remember it being fairly expensive (especially to get a fairly decent sized unit!). However, if you heard of a unit that had S4, I5 WS5, Re-rolling all failed hits in combat and was stubborn on Ld 9 (or is it 8?) then you would expect them to be expansive!
    I think the main problem is them competing with RBT's and being fairly hard to use effectively to make back their points (I am guessing, never used them before). I would however be interested to hear the opinions of anyone who actually uses them.....
    ....He is coming for YOU....
    "Master Bungle is right" - Stonehambey
    "Get out of my house Master Bungle!" - Victim

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

They are kool, but I'd rather ue my Rare slots for a third or fourth RBT. I like Executioners a bit more. Higher strength and less points with killing blow, but the Black Guard's reroll is a nice feature.

I think it comes down to..

"Why use Black Guard when you have Executioners?"

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is true. Blackguard would make a fairly good holding unit, but they are both fragile and expansive in points.....hmm....Maybe they aren't all that useful...
    To be fair I would never use more than 2 RBTs in a 2000pts game, so I COULD take Blackguard, but I have never felt that they would fit into my list in any way (or my battleplan for that matter!). I personally feel that Executioners are the better choice (although, I prefer to use them as flankers in units of 12 (2 ranks of 6) with maybe a Draich-Master). Killing blow and S5 is always to be feared! Just don't expect them to take units on there own unless in large units, but I don't think they are cost effective in larger units than 12.....although I know I could easily be argued wrong on that point as I haven't used them that often....

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

I really, really rate BlackGuard. I used a 10 man unit in a tournament recently and they were superb. I once used them as a securing unit to hold a refused flank and they ended up charging into half a skaven army (the other half had been xbow'd to bits on the other flank) they ended up destroying a Plague Monk unit and holding up a clanrat unit that had charged them in the flank. They were eventually wiped out by Censer Bearers but not before delaying the skaven for 2 turns and letting me secure the rest of the table and maul all the other units trying to get past them with RBT fire.
    They also went face to face with a Dwarf clansmen unit that outnumbered them 2-1 and brought them down. They've held the line when every other unit pooped their pants at a chaos cavalry attack. They've brought more enemy units crashing to a halt than I can remember. So often players see a small unit and think they can run right over it only to find Ld 9, stubborn troops standing next to the BSB don't go anywhere.

So, yes, I think they're quite good, actually. Executioners may be a more nasty shock unit than BlackGuard but only BlackGuard have the resilient staying power to really screw with enemy plans.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I never thought about taking them in small units. That sounds pretty good! (Although do they not die quite easily? Also, do you try to get flank charges with them, or do you find they hold units head-on (obviously depending on the units)).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Except most non-cav units you should be able to get the charge in. This allows you to move a second unit up the flank to set up a flank charge(I like big spearmen or corsair units for this). Since the black guard charged in their turn and are always stubborn odds are good they'll hold until it's your next turn and you can throw the flankers in. A small unit is all you need to hold for a turn or two and big units get expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm...that sounds like a very sound tactic (and something the enemy probably wouldn't count on....I mean come one, how much could a unit of 10 guys really do :shifty: ). Just out of interest, do you have them arranged in 2 ranks of 5? Or 6 and 4 (more attacks)? I think my next game with Dark Elves may well include some Black Guard....If I can find the points . I just want to try them out now .

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

I just played a game proxying 12x Black Guard (6x2) with a Master and Standard bearer.....

I think I'm going to have to buy the models now.

Their staying power is nuts. They held up a unit of 20x Saurus Warriors for 2 full turns and I got a rear charge with my Noble on a Chariot and it wasn't pretty.

Eternal Hatred + Stubborn= JUICY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

743 (x8)

See what I'm talking about? I only use 10 because I use the older models and that's all I've been able to rally up (I've actually got 11 but that's a silly unit number). I use 2 ranks of 5 as that usually gives a reasonable amount of attacks and the unit looks fairly flimsy, which is just what you want the enemy thinking...

and as an aside- always accept challenges. Who cares about over-kill? Justa as long as someone survives. Just be careful of fear causing enemies- they still ruin your plans.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast