War Hydra and its uselessness - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

War Hydra and its uselessness

ok, now for my beef on this creature. In a 2k game i can take a War Hydra or an extra 2 RBT for 20pts less. The 2 RBT are a combined 12 str4 ranged shots or i could take a Hydra for 20pts more and get a str3 flame and a large target. The deal is why for 20 extra points i get a pin cushion that goes down turn 1 or 2 gets a str3 flame large target and 2 guys that if die give my beast the possibility to sit their. for less a dwarf can field 4 bolt throwers, 2 cannons, and almost 2 organ guns that can take it down in a snap. I personally think the Hydra is the most useless piece of poo in the game. But 1337malekith it causes terror and is good in combat. well its not good to cause terror or combat dmg when its dead, its just to easy to kill.

what solutions for the hydra do you have?
    heres what i have.
    1.lower the points
    2.apprenticies get light armor or somthing
    3.str 4 breath(eh eh)
    4.just take the extra 2 RBT for 20pts less
    5.even the cauldron of blood is better (trust me, a unit of executioners with redfury, and a hydra banner can do something to your enemies face , liek thiz :x )

Darks Elves 6000ptsWood Elves 500pts (WIP)
    Imperial Guard 5000pts
    http://mr-godz.mybrute.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

The breath weapon is about the most insignificant reasons one would take a Hydra.
    The most significant reasons? Terror, and quite probably the nice extras you can get from the Hydra variants.
    Use Light, Beasts, Metal instead of Heavens
    NecroLords: Use at least one Death Mage
    Brets: Use Peasants&Damsels
    Skaven: Don't use Skryre SAD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah but those extra hydras cost more, 1 is better in combat, 1 is pretty much only good against highelves, and 1 is random in how good it is. still not worth the points
    Darks Elves 6000ptsWood Elves 500pts (WIP)
    Imperial Guard 5000pts
    http://mr-godz.mybrute.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Well consider this, when everything in your opponents army is firing at that crappy hydra they arn't firing at your dark riders, cold one nights and your other better units, so when combat hits they will be at full strength, and the only thing your missing is your crappy hydra. Also have you tried hiding it better like going thought forest so it's harder to hit with missile weapons?

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

1337Malekith your beef seems not to be with the hydra specificaly but with large targets in general.

Your logic can be extended to Stegadons, Bone Giants, Slavegiants and the like. All are equally dead when pummled with artillary.

The Hydra is awesome - terror, good in combat, just generally rather mean.

So i'm guessing the problem lies not with the Hydra itself, but with your inability to effectively field one...:ninja:

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

I agree that its expensive & vulnerable to shooting. but as the others have said, that does atleast keep fire away from other things.. I take one in a list with a dragon.. so if they shoot the hell out of the dragon & ignore the hydra, they still have a terror causing monster breathing down their necks.. and if they do the opposite, they have an even worse terror causing monster eating their necks.

I also agree that the breath weapon isnt a significant factor. it is good against TK & other 'vulnerable to fire' targets.

I think the idea is to just give your opponent so many good targets that he will either pick the wrong one, or atleast shoot the hell out of of 1 and leave everything else untouched. DE are fast, so they should only get 2 turns max of shooting at you if you attack. Or maybe even 1 turn if youre lucky enough to get first turn

cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

I think the hydra is valuable especially for its ability to draw fire away from Chariots, which are subject to autokill while the hydra isn't. Also, if you play with some 'larger-than-large-targets' forests or buildings (just agree what is what with your opponent beforehand), I find the thought of a large predator scuttling from hideout to hideout before springing for the kill to be quite amusing. like lions in tall grass...

While we are on the subject, where do you find the rules for the hydra variants? Thanks,

Koosh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sun never sets on a badass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Think of it this way. Your one of those limited armies that even get fantastical beasts like that. Second your one of only two or so that get them and dont have to flop a character on them as well. As far as I know it doesnt count as a character itself either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

well, im going to agree with you.

against a full ranked unit of say, orks, 5 attacks wont cut it, esp if they have a war banner, and those apprentices wont do a thing.

terrors a nice bonus, but since its ld based, you cant rely on it, and aint worth the points.

since they've brought it out, a DoW Giant is much much better value. 20 points cheaper, hardly breaks from combat, heaps of wounds, still couses terror, still M6.

this, and also bolt throwers are better too, means we may see very few hydras out there. plus i think the models look crap.

cheers tim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast