Malekith - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Malekith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Malekith

Hiyo,

I hate to sound similar to "when will dark elves be done" but i am currently composing an article based around the questionably good witch king of the dark elves, Malekith.

I plan to compare him to models such as tyrion, vampires, dwarves, chaos etc using historical (fluff) for support, realistically how useful/less he is in a game etc.

The plan is to send it to the games developer/white dwarf team. Maybe, just maybe, games-workshop will reconsider going over malekith and ironing out the wrinkles or it may get a mention in whit dwarf (i know...overly optimistic).....i mean he has less attacks than the Kouran (his captain) for crying out loud, not to mention a lower weapon skill than tyrion!!
    Sure tyrion is DESCENDED from Aenaerion but malekith is his son and he does't even benefit from the curse of Aenaerion.

Now, i know you have probably all heard similiar rantings before, but i will be very carefully researching battle reports, forums, statistics etc so as to present a convincing argument.

Any suggestions or thoughts on Malekith himself would be appreciated,

Regards

p.s. no nasty comments like "your stupid, they will NEVER listen to you!!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

I dont have any experience with malekith in games. Im still doing my lord on dragon, once its done i might use him as malekith once just for the fun of it.

My general opinion of him though is that his points cost basically makes him unusable unless you have like 5000 points worth.. but let's face it, who has that much...
    OR, as i said, play him just for the fun of using him, & probably expect him to kick ass but to lose the overall battle.

I think if his cost was carved down to say, 800, he might be a more realistic option.
    I also think standard black dragons are too expensive. Manticores are almost as good and cost almost half the points.. Black dragons should either be dropped down to 280 points, or changed so that they dont take up a hero slot. Or improved to make them worth their points.. I dont think their stats really accuratly portray how powerful a dragon would be. Perhaps a 5+ invulnerable save, to make it less vulnerable to cannons etc.

If you really want games workshop to listen, having the opinions of others to back up your argument would help.. such as a potition signed by A LOT of gamers..

good luck to you
    Last edited by Manu_Forti; August 11th, 2006 at 08:58.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I think Malekith is probably about right for his points cost. I mean just look at his magic items. Whether you want to pay that much for a character is down to the player i guess. A similar argument can be made about Lord Kroak and various other expensive characters

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Unlike lord Croak however, malekith is not souped up with the 'generations' rules nor is he quite the potent mage that Croak is.

I admit that outwardly Croak is much like Malekith in that he seems to be to highly costly (pointswise) to be effective much like Zacharias the everling.
    (and you must remember, Croak IS dead after all.....not a bad effort for a dead guy)

What i am trying to say though is that when you compare malekith to (in particular) Tyrion, Archaon and vampire lords, he just quite measure up.

Even a slightly higher ward save (3-4+) that saves against everything + one more attack would make him so much more potent.

Also, read the history in the dark elf book, apparently he had the circlet of iron, and i quote "a talisman of great sorcerous power" fused to his helm and yet it isn't mentioned at all.
    Now, before you say....he IS a lvl 4 wizard after all, Malekith is not an overly exceptional wizard, in fact, as far as wizards go he is just that, a lvl 4 wizard, nothing special about him (definately not as good as teclis and yet it is told that he held his own against him, the greatest sorcerer in the world until teclis unleashed the power of his magical staff).

Anyways, yes, i might just start such a petition.....would LO permit one to be presented online do you think or should i keep it written?

In the case of the latter, i will simply post an address i want everyone to send a signed copy of a petition i will post online.

I am really hoping to get a lot of support for this because i cant tell you how much i want Malekith made into the character he is supposed to be.

Keep the opinions coming guys,

Regards

P.S. even if he becomes too powerful to use, i would still gain immense satisfaction from the fact that this all powerful figure was head of my dark elven legions.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

To be honest i really don't think GW are going to change Malekith. I for example wouldn't sign the petition as i don't think he needs a revamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain.Snowball
    Unlike lord Croak however, malekith is not souped up with the 'generations' rules nor is he quite the potent mage that Croak is.
    Yeah but Kroak doesn't ride a dragon (and he costs more points)

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that Malekith is not nearly as potent as he should be for a 5,000 yr old elf lord. His stats are good minus maybe needing a higher WS but cmon, he should have LOADS of extra bonuses for his magic as he's had that much more time to perfect it. Dragons are a bit pricey too although I love them just because they're really cool. I got ahlod of the Rakarth model which is not bad at all coming in at 470 pts all told. I could even just ditch Rakarth who isn't that great and put my own lord on there.

Malekith is way too many points, doesn't have enough magic power and really does need a re-tool.
    The sun never sets on a badass.

+ Reply to Thread