Black guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Black guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black guard

Hey guys, give your tought on the black guard plz....Good in combat,worth a rare spot or the points they cost?

Let slip the dogs of war.
    Bretonian (over 5k points)
    Tomb king (over 5k points)
    Ogre kingdom (4.5k points)
    Tyranid (3k points but not even half assemble,new army)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

From what I've read in the other Black Guard threads, they are not so much a combat unit as a roadblock. You deploy them somewhere and they slow things down for a long time, giving your other units time to deal with a situation.

With their eternal hatred rules they do ok in combat, but they are primarily a shield for the rest of your force. A unit of as small as 10 can buy you a lot of time.
    Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

I havent used them but i doubt they are worth their points.. spearmen are good enough at defending and they are half the cost. & executioners are good enough at offense & also alot cheaper.. If BG were more like 14-15 points each then they might be a more tempting choice.
    The other main reason not many people field black guard is because they have to compete with RBT's for a rare slot..& RBT's are simply too good

cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

I find they are usually only worth their points in larger battles of say 2500+.

In anything smaller and they are understandably targeted by masses of missiles and magic.

Howwever, in larger fights there are many more units to shoot at and they can usually actually get the chance to get into combat. With their stubborn rule they are unlikely to run from a fight due to their nive leadership. Their superior initiative means they will strike first in the majority of combats and eternal hatred is good for that added effectiveness.

My personal favourite in big fights is to give them the dread banner (they can carry a 75pt banner) which means you have a stubborn, hatred consumed, high initiative fear causing infantry unit with semi decent strength attacks.....

The only drawback is their rather high points cost.......

But, they can be worth the points as (as Kooshlord said) roadblocks. They are probably more combat efficent than most unbreakable troops and chances are they will end up killing the unit they were supposed to hold up......

If your opponent allows it, add kouran to the unit (rules on the GW website) for his added bonuses in deployment, first turn etc as well as the extra attacks.

Regards

p.s. They also look really cool!

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Yes the fact they are stubborn high ld means that they can be used in a similar way to unbreakable troops (as long as the dice gods don't frown upon you)

I think it is for this reason they are 0-1, rather than actually being combat monsters

Ciao

Stonehambey

+ Reply to Thread