new to DE making an army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new to DE making an army

hi im startin a DE army ive only got a sorceros and the book and about $200 to spend
    help please:cry:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

weeel, what kind of army are you aiming to make?

Obviously you have no core choices as of yet and so the first thing you will need to purchase are the compulsory core choices (for small battles you will need 2).

Spearmen are an excellent defensive unit and are also the cheapest unit available to you (points per model). Dont bother with corsairs at the outset as they are too expensive (money-wise).

With only 200 to spend i would suggest going with 2 boxes of spearmen and a repeater bolt thrower to start with.

This will give you 32 warriors that can be made (i would suggest) into a unit of 20 spearmen and 12 repeater crossbowmen. The bolt thrower and the sorceress just serve to augment a more static defensive force.

This will cost around $140 Aus (am unsure as to the currency your using) leaving you with enough to indulge in a hydra or some such thing.

You would end up with a list looking something like this:

Sorceress
    - Lvl 2
    - Miscellaneous magic items

20 spearmen
    - command
    - shields

12 crossbowman
    - command (if desired)
    - shields (if desired)

Repeater bolt thrower

Total = Approx 550 points + magic items (i didnt include command for the crossbows)

This is a good starting point for a DE army and a great place to expand from with cavalry, chariots, elite infantry and monsters...

Regards
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares, your a mile away and you have his shoes!!

Chuck Norris invented water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds great and yeah its aus currency.
    thnx. it would still be greatly appreciated if more senior druchi were to assist in tactics and army plans.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by WraithDude66 View Post
    sounds great and yeah its aus currency.
    thnx. it would still be greatly appreciated if more senior druchi were to assist in tactics and army plans.
    There are at least four other threads on page one of the DE forums which could help you.

Try adding a bit more input to your posts than just "im startin dark elves help plz":rolleyes: You may find we can offer better advice if we know what you want

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok ok im just looking for a small force that can play games and be tactically effitiant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by WraithDude66 View Post
    ok ok im just looking for a small force that can play games and be tactically effitiant
    Well so the sorceress isnt wasted, we'll keep her included.

-Level 2 sorceress, Darkstar cloak, powerstone - 170
    -20 spearmen, shields, Musician & standard - 175
    -10 warriors with crossbows, shields, standard, musician - 135 (sorceress here)
    -5 Dark riders, musician, crossbows - 127
    -1 Reaper bolt thrower

Total = 697

Thats a decent 700pt starting list. And it works out nicely to 2 boxes of warriors. Theres $100.. Bolt thrower, $35. Riders, $80 approx.
    Thats only a little bit over your budget. Wash a few cars or something ^_^

If you ever expand beyond that. Dont take anymore crossbow warriors, but definately more spearmen & a second Bolt thrower. And 5 cold ond Knights for flanking.

& yeah as Stonehambey said, theres a lot of threads from other newbies which could help you.
    If all these newbies I help knew about the reputation system, I'd probably be a freakin mod by now :lol:
    Last edited by Manu_Forti; December 21st, 2006 at 07:20.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

about $228 but it looks worth it!
    cavalry, missiles(crossbows), a large number of spears and a dark magic user!:shifty:
    looks like a great starting force!!

thnx ill look at the other forums for more tactics and ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Yeah but use Death magic, its better than Dark magic now.
    Doombolt is nice but I never seem to get it.. I like Death magic because the basic first spell (whch you can always have)Dark Hand of Death, is the same as Chillwind but S4 instead of S3 :yes:

And then theres Wind of Death, which is 2D6 S4.. nasty! And easy enough for a level 2 to cast. :shifty:

Dark magic is probably better for High sorceresses, because they have a better chance of actually getting the 3 good spells, and able to cast the big one (Black Horror) which is very good.

umm, as for tactics:
    Spearmen in the middle.
    Crossbows deployed in 1 row of 10 if you have room (if not then 5x2), right on the 12" line.
    Bolt thrower where it has good line of sight.
    Dark Riders on the flank

-Spearmen stay put for your first turn. If your opponent hasnt moved forward yey because you got first turn, then move your crossbows forward just far enough to clear the 24" gap when they shoot, same for your 24"spells. (move them back once the enemy comes forward a bit).
    This often means only moving half an inch if the enemy is right on the 12" line.
    if you win the roll, its often a very good idea to let your opponent have first turn, if hes going to advance, that way your crossbows can shoot him on their first turn without having to move..
    (dont give him first turn if he has a lot of shooting though, or if he has cavalry either, they will charge you on his second turn, leaving only 1 turn for u to shoot at them. Take first turn in those situations).

-Dark riders will move up, keep them safe from being shot, and start annoying the enemy by shooting & march blocking etc. Dont forget these guys should declare a flee if they get charged.
    -Bolt thrower should prioritise targets. Shoot the things that the low strenght crossbows & spears cant really hurt, like tough monsters or well armoured troops/cavalry.

If the enemy is advancing, keep doing the above for as long as you can without getting the crossbows charged. Once they are too close, move the spearmen to take any charges. In the mean-time you shouldve set up the Dark riders to hit the flank of whatever charges the spearmen next turn.
    Hopefully they can hold out for a turn or 2 while you shoot/spell other units that arent in combat.

You can use your Riders for Decoy tactics but its a bit tricky even for veterans so dont worry abuot it for the time being.

Magic:
    If you get stuck with a high-level spell, wait for a good opportunity. Cast your low spell (dark hand of death or chillwind) with 3 power dice. to make him waste his dispel dice. Then activate the power stone, giving you 4 power dice to cast the high spell (black horror, drain life etc).
    To be very Dark Elf :shifty: , do NOT tell your opponent you have a powerstone (even if he asks what she's packing).. then when you roll for spells, swap 1 for the 1st spell (dark hand of death or chillwind).. & if you get the high level ones, make a scene of acting all disappointed and complain that you cant really cast it with a low level wizard.. Then your opponent wont hesitate to use his dispel dice on the low spell (thinking its the only 1 you can cast), then next spell, BAM, power-stone :shifty: = Black horror or Drain life :yes:

The list lacks a lot of high strength attacks, apart from the bolt thrower. So getting off those big spells will be the game winners for you. Getting a good flank charge with your Riders against a unit fighting the spearmen will also be a game winner.
    I wouldnt even bother playing against Dwarves with this army though. They will just out-shoot you (since you dont have enough for the option of launching an advance), and the extra dispel dice shuts down your magic. Just letting you know so you dont give up on DE if you happen to play them first ^_^

Cheers
    Last edited by Manu_Forti; December 21st, 2006 at 13:00.
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have just started building my army up
    I have

Shades x5
    Witch Elves x 22 (old Style)
    Warriors with Repeater Bows x 18 (old style)
    Warriors with Spears x 31
    Repeater Bolt thrower x 1
    cold one chariot (but lost the cold ones... not good)
    planning to but the sorceress on foot later this week

Can anyone think if i need anything else.
    points dont matter too much as my mate has a huge army and can make them and big or as little as to what i am fielding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkElfTrinity View Post
    I have just started building my army up
    I have

Shades x5
    Witch Elves x 22 (old Style)
    Warriors with Repeater Bows x 18 (old style)
    Warriors with Spears x 31
    Repeater Bolt thrower x 1
    cold one chariot (but lost the cold ones... not good)
    planning to but the sorceress on foot later this week

Can anyone think if i need anything else.
    points dont matter too much as my mate has a huge army and can make them and big or as little as to what i am fielding.
    5 Dark Riders or 5 Cold One Knights are a much needed flanking option.
    1 more box of warriors to give you 2 units of 20-25 spearmen. or you could use 8 of the crossbows to proxy spearmen, and have 2 units of 20. (with 1 proxied by a witch elf or something).

& of course, a character or 2. (A Noble & a sorceress)
    That sucks about no Cold Ones for your chariot. Try the trading area. I have 1 spare one, but that doesnt help much.

Easiest to get the army book and make a list, then post it for us

Cheers
    W L D
    21 5 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast