New to DE, wondering about prices - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to DE, wondering about prices

Heya, I'm new to DE and warhammer in general, and I was just wondering if it would be reasonable to aim to build an offensive infantry-based 2k pts force with $230 USD. (excluding paints and all of that, just the models)
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Hi, Welcome to Dark Elves & Librarium online.

Dark Elves are probably one of the most expensive armies in Warhammer. Warriors are the only plastic models we have. Everything else is metal, which unfortunately means more expensive. Especially with big sqauds of infantry.

The only way to reach 2k with an infantry style & that budget would be to get mostly Spearmen. If you were planning to take Corsairs, Witch Elves, Executioners, or any of the metal infantry, no you probably wont afford that. The only way would be to spend a lot of points on characters to fill out the 2000 points with less models. But its going to leave you with a less effective army.

The good news is that infantry arent the best way to play to Dark Elves. You need to take a few big blocks of spearmen or Corsairs. It gives you something expendable in an otherwise elite & fragile army, it also gives you something to hold enemy units in place while you flank them with your elite units.

For a 2k cost effective list, I would say take 2-3 squads of 20-25 spearmen & 1 squad of 10 crossbows. Take a tooled up Highborn (lord) & Nobles (heroes) to soak up a lot of points = less figures to buy.
    A highborn on a Dragon can take up around 550 points. Thats 1 idea to consider..
    Sorceresses would be more effective at being expensive & saving models, but it doesnt suit the attacking style which you are aiming for. (You can easily take up 800 points of that 2000 by using sorceresses with a lot of items. A level 4 & 3 level 2's).

I dont think its a good idea to settle for a less effective army for the sake of saving money though. Maybe it would be wise to either aim for 1500pts, or wait until you have a little more cash to fund an effective 2000pt army
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.
    One more thing I was wondering though, what would be the cost of getting a decent 2k pts army going? I really like Dark Elves so I think I'll just either wait a bit or go with an army I like just as much.
    Thanks again for the long reply man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

You can just buy the army book, make up whatever list you want. Then go to Games Workshop's website online store & add up the prices. (www.games-workshop.com)

Post the army list here first so you dont waste money on an army that's no good.

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

+ Reply to Thread