Any experience with Shadowblade & Rakrath? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Any experience with Shadowblade & Rakrath?

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has some gaming experience with either of the special characters (shadowblade & Rakrath) ?

Generally we try to stear clear of special characters in our games, so Ive never used one. Since Im his only regular opponent, he has hinted hes getting bored with the same old thing (I think it might be getting tired of losing though). So Im trying to think of ways to keep things interesting. One idea is to have a game with special characters..

Do you think these 2 are good? Good but too expensive? not good and too expensive? etc

Any actual examples of what the 2 S.C's have done in games would be great.

Cheers

Last edited by Manu_Forti; January 29th, 2007 at 02:07.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

I have used Shadowblade on a number of occasions.

Its a hard one to call as to his usefulness.

His forte over other assasins is primarily his gifts of khaine and his ability to deploy hidden in the enemy army.

The stats on a standard assassin are rediculously high anyway and the extra one weapon skill initiative doesnt make a whole heap of difference (in most circumstances).

Most of the time, assassins are used to sway combat resolution unexpectedly and/or chase down enemy characters, mages and war machines.
    Shadowblade is probably better in that respect as he can get his points back quicker and serve as a useful disruption. However, if he is left unprotected for a turn or charged, his 5+ ward will only offer minimal protection and against semi-elite opponents his weapon skill wont be much of a deterrant either.

I like to use him in 3000+ battles. In 2000 points games, your lack of any other lord choice on the board is suspicious and people tend to realise that something may be afoot.

In a 3000 points game you can still field another lord choice and it makes shadowblades entrance all that much more surprising!!

We (my friends and I) have always had a little bit off confusion over the trolls blood item he carries, whilst we understand that it lasts until the opponents turn we have never worked out whether or not it is a 'once only' item. It doesn't say it but its a fairly nasty item and we werent sure.....

As to his expense....

360 points is a steal when he is used properly. I use him in the following roles,

- Hidden in my units as a challenge acceptor and/or combat res booster (7 attacks at str 7 with poison, killing blow and weapon skill 10!!!)

- Hidden in enemy units for demoralization, tying units up and combat res

- Chasing down enemy mages

- Hidden in enemy war machine crews

- Zooming about with a unit of scouts (enemy scouts go 'surprise' and i go "SURPRISE", hehe)

Shadowblade has a little more chance of surviving combat due to his small base size, weapon skill and ward save but remember that he can still take a fair amount of missile fire (not magic missiles) as he is a single target with a ward save...

In short, Shadowblade is great!!!

I have never used rakarth, sorry.

As to your friend, i was weened on the dark elves playing against chaos (tzeentch and slaanesh to be exact) so i had to learn very quickly. As a result my friend and i are now very closely matched and even though every game goes more or less the same way (only minor deviations) it is still fun...

What we do to stay ammused though is as follows:

- Make up rules for special scenarios, stories and campaigns (fighting a war on a number of fronts similiar to a game of risk but with warhammer armies)

- I own almost all the armies books, just play a game with different armies every now and then, not swap armies but use totally different ones.

- Play with two of the same army each and swap one of them, i.e. we will both have identical 750 point DE and HoC armies at the same time....

- Play with more than one army at the same time (all the different ones, like lizards and vampires, etc)

- Play coldsteel

- Have a character bash

- Play with reinforcements so the game is more or less continous

Anyways, hope this has helped in some small measure,

Regards

P.S. DONT GO EASY!! It will take the fun out of it for you and him. I would prefer to fight hard and lose in a great game than win easily!!
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares, your a mile away and you have his shoes!!

Chuck Norris invented water

Blood & Souls for Khaine! flameseeker574's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard something about someone having his general in a chariot and someone deployed Shadowblade as the other crew member and on turn two shadowblade pops out and ROFLBBQPWNS the general. might be something to think about if he likes to put his general in a chariot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

I have no idea what ROFLBBQPWNS means :wacko: but I can take a guess.. :shifty:

Unfortunately he plays Dwarves who dont have chariots, and Tomb Kings who dont have extra crew in a chariot if theres a character.
    Maybe Shadowblade in a warmachine crew will be the way to go.

Cheers for the feedback
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

If I told you that, I'm afraid I'd have to kill you
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Shadowblade once took down 2.5 units of 16 Empire Halberdiers.

Rakarth...? never played him.

Attila
    Worshipper of Dice
    Last game: Victory Dark Elves vs High Elves & Orcs & Goblins
    WDL: Dark Elves:37/6/8 Space Marines:7/3/3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't played with either of them... but I think that the beastlord isn't good at all.
    his abilities as a spec char doesn't make ou for the pts. The beast lord ability rarely kicks in as you don't encounter that many monsters... there might not even be one in every battle you fight and his weapon is just a unreliable one turn "ring of darkness". His stats are worse than a noble and he takes a lord choice.
    if you take a regular highborn with vanilla weapons and armour + a dragon it'll be about his pts and take the same amount of choises. The highborn will be way more usefull than the beastlord IMO.
    So unless you know you're gonna fight many many monsters (uh yea right like that's gonna happen) stick to the highborn+dragon rather than the beastlord.

Tullaris in a unit of executioners would be a better deal against monsters. Executioners axe + killing blow against any model (except swarms) and 4 attacks... that's pretty good. Although he isn't THAT cost effective, he is still one of the better special characters.

Shadowblade might be worth the pts... but despite that he has been uppgraded he still looks like a suicide machine to me, so he might kill alot but you'll defenately loose lots of pts too.
    Last edited by zhaf; February 1st, 2007 at 01:15.

Podhammer - The Warhammer Podcast

+ Reply to Thread