new to the DE - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new to the DE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new to the DE

Hey guys i've started warhammer FB very recently and i immediatly took a shine to the DE. now i was wondering i have 2 boxssets of 16 warriors and was just pondering how many to make into spears and how many into Xbows.
    i feel like 20 spears in a 5X4 rank and 12 Xbows in a 6X2 rank, what d'you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by CoW-MaN View Post
    i feel like 20 spears in a 5X4 rank and 12 Xbows in a 6X2 rank, what d'you think?
    This is the most frequently chosen set-up. It'd be a good choice.

-Koosh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow thnks for the quick reply
    hmm if i were to invest in more dark warrior regiments to suppoose i should go for moreXbows or more spears,
    i personally was thinking spears as darkriders would be a better choice for shooting as they have more versatile movement but its nice to hear other peoples thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x3)

S3 shooting doesn't do a great deal to many units. A little bit is helpful against enemy missle troops and fast cavalry. A lot tends to be a waste of points, IMO. Depends who you are playing of course, but there are so many armies with T4 troops or substantial armor or both that the shots just don't seem to do that much.

I'd go with more spears. Eventually, I'd try and get at least 2 blocks of 25, but that doesn't have to happen immediately.

-Koosh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well to be honest the army i'd most be playing against ios the high elves and all of their core units have T3 so shooting might be worthwhile
    on the otherhand i dont want to build up too many ranged units as i'd prefer more melee then a shooty army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by CoW-MaN View Post
    well to be honest the army i'd most be playing against ios the high elves and all of their core units have T3 so shooting might be worthwhile
    on the otherhand i dont want to build up too many ranged units as i'd prefer more melee then a shooty army
    Also keep in mind the wierd HE/DE special rules. Dark elves get hatred against HE, so they definately want to be in CC. HE get immune to panic against DE, so shooting at them is less effective. So you basically have a double incentive to get into CC with them quickly.

So I'd definately stick with mostly spears against HE. The shooting is only worthwhile to hurt their cavalry/thin out their rank bonuses a bit.

Koosh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but surly in CC HE would have the edge over DE due to their warriors and spears fighting in 3 ranks. if this is the case then wouldn't shooting be NEEDED to compensate for the HE CC superiority?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

but surly in CC HE would have the edge over DE due to their warriors and spears fighting in 3 ranks. if this is the case then wouldn't shooting be NEEDED to compensate for the HE CC superiority?
    Not necessarily,

Because of hatred, the rerolls afforded about make up for the HE extra rank of models. Its funny, but hatred is really just the equalizer needed to make the competition fair.

HE spearmen are some of the best core infantry in the game, hatred merely takes away our disadvantage.

Also, its probably a bit early at this stage but aim for 5 boxes of models!!!!!

I know, i know, expensive, but in game terms its actually not too much. It works out at 3 units of 20 spearmen and 2 LINES of 10 crossbowmen.

Works out at 775 points which is a fantastic infantry core for 2000 points battles.....

regards
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares, your a mile away and you have his shoes!!

Chuck Norris invented water

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I think DE spearmen are best in blocks of 25. You retain the third rank if you lose a model and also have a better chance of the outnumber bonus. Remember someone has to get it so it might as well be you. Something a lot of people on LO forget about

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Snowball View Post
    Not necessarily,

Because of hatred, the rerolls afforded about make up for the HE extra rank of models. Its funny, but hatred is really just the equalizer needed to make the competition fair.
    yeah i just my rulebook again and realised that HE spears dont hate DE like DE hate HE which is very useful means our spears can do some seroius dmg to them with re rolls like you said
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Snowball View Post
    I know, i know, expensive, but in game terms its actually not too much. It works out at 3 units of 20 spearmen and 2 LINES of 10 crossbowmen.

Works out at 775 points which is a fantastic infantry core for 2000 points battles.....

regards
    i think i'll go for 3 boxes at the moment then build up my core as the rest of my army builds this way as my points go up i wont have to drop the eccseeive amounts of DE warriors that i would get at 5 boxes, i dont rlly see the pint in getting models if your not going to use them

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast