hero choices - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hero choices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hero choices

well i'm about perfecting a 1000 point list for an upcomming GW tournament and i was curios to how many heros you guys take with your 1000 points

karmoon: cow-man... you really should poke girls with your udder >_<
    Dark Elves Record Sheet
    W8 D2 L3

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Generically, Noble is the most bang for your buck.
    Decent melee power, and Ld to your troops in a small game where any squad breaking could be the diff. between a win and a loss.

If you can only take 1, then Assassin is out {can't be general}, Sorc is worthless {base dispel vs your power generated is a terrible ratio}, and a Beastmaster is only really worth it over a Noble if you stick him on a Manti which in a 1K fight is just asking for death to the rest of your army {too many points in the unit}.

So with 1 Hero Noble wins out.

Even if you have MORE then 1 hero, 2-3, Noble should still be one choice pretty much always. Reasonably two of your choices unless you go double Sorc to try and make magic work at 1k.

If you have 1 hero I say
    Noble

if you have two I say
    Sorc Sorc or Noble Noble or Noble Assassin
    {of which I slightly favor N+A over N+N if you know how to use the Assassin to kill enemy characters, and S+S is just too risky for my blood at 1k so it's 3rd}

if you take three I say
    Noble Noble Noble or Noble Noble Assassin
    {favoring N+N+A}
    I could see having the points for 2 Sorc, AND a 3rd hero, and the rest of your army fighting for a damn

If you have more then 1 Noble, also consider one as a BsB.
    -
    Making Sisters of Battle into Women of Battle
    -
    Give a Rep Star if you like what someone said. Especially Me. I'm an unabashed Star whore. Blame my 2nd grade teacher and those stupid good behavior stickers. I'm just conditioned. I'm the Pavlov's Dog of stars.
    -
    You win with VP, NOT with kills
    -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

I would go with either just a noble, or a noble and a sorceress. I try to keep it at about 2 characters at 1000 points, but it also depends on how much heros cost, for goblins you might aswell max out since there so cheap, but your not goblins, so lets ignore that last part.

A Noble for leadership and some extra hitting power, an the sorceress for some magic defense, and a bit of offense if you like. I would decide wethere you want magic to play a part in your army or not, if not keep her at lvl 1 and us whatever spell you get when you have a chance, she might do something every now and again, and take a dispel scroll with her or 2. Your noble depending on you army either mount him, or have him in a block unit, with some good offensive magic items so he can add in some kills for CR.

Other than that there isn't much else, but I would tend not to go with an assassin, they are a bit pricey for what they do, and haveing more than 2 characters in 1000 point DE list will hurt your army since you won't have much left to spend on troops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by BustaCaps View Post
    I would go with either just a noble, or a noble and a sorceress. I try to keep it at about 2 characters at 1000 points, but it also depends on how much heros cost, for goblins you might aswell max out since there so cheap, but your not goblins, so lets ignore that last part.

A Noble for leadership and some extra hitting power, an the sorceress for some magic defense, and a bit of offense if you like. I would decide wethere you want magic to play a part in your army or not, if not keep her at lvl 1 and us whatever spell you get when you have a chance, she might do something every now and again, and take a dispel scroll with her or 2. Your noble depending on you army either mount him, or have him in a block unit, with some good offensive magic items so he can add in some kills for CR.

Other than that there isn't much else, but I would tend not to go with an assassin, they are a bit pricey for what they do, and haveing more than 2 characters in 1000 point DE list will hurt your army since you won't have much left to spend on troops.
    I have to disagree with this.

One Sorc is going to be basically worthless. From a magic defense standpoint, he can take Seal of Ghrond and at worse be missing out on a scroll. And at 1k he's not going to face more then 6-7 dice against him at the min/maxed extreme (and I can't imagine how pitful the army would look of someone that crammed in two L2 casters and a +1 power dice item into a 1k list, hence why I only list it as an option for DEs not a recommendation).

In an offensive view best he's looking at with 1 Sorc is 5 dice, with +1's. With the most he can throw per spell being 3. So that's 3d6+1 on 1 spell, 2d6+1 for another. That means even a foe with NO antimagic will be able to stop 1/2 his spells a turn on most turns (throwing their 2d6 vs your 2d6+1, and sometimes you'll fail your target number). A foe that takes a caster of their own, or has anti magic items, can easily leave him casting just one puny spell a turn for sure. And what happens if you roll crappy on your spells? You're only getting 2 of the 6, and you only have control over 1, and even then that's a spell that's not useful against all armies offensively.

Even compared to the Assassin to make a Sorc a viable offensive option ends up costing you the same or more, with gear and L2, then an Assassin fully kitted. And the Assassin is pretty much guarenteed point return.

With casters you've got to go 2 or none at 1k, unless your army has no other anti-magic for defense. Dark Elves get Seal of Ghrond so the only reason to take casters at 1k is offense, and for that, you need at least two.

Unless I knew ahead of time that the majority of my foes at 1k were going to be magic heavy lists... a very unlikely posability... I couldn't justify any combination of heroes that involved just 1 Sorc.
    -
    -
    Give a Rep Star if you like what someone said. Especially Me. I'm an unabashed Star whore. Blame my 2nd grade teacher and those stupid good behavior stickers. I'm just conditioned. I'm the Pavlov's Dog of stars.
    -
    -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

1 Noble with Seal of Ghrond + whatever else.

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Manu_Forti View Post
    1 Noble with Seal of Ghrond + whatever else.

Cheers
    K got to ask you Manu... kind of in follow up to what we talked about in PMs, and because I do think you know the army well enough to make statements like this...

How are you validating Whatever Else when it encompasses the Sorc. specifically?

Not saying you're wrong, just curious why you think that's right and won't just be countered for it's points into uselessness.
    -
    -
    -
    -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Eh.. I think I quickly replied to this one at work and intended to edit it later, but never did.

'+ whatever else' meant whichever other magic items you want on him (which I cant advise on because it depends on a lot of things, hence 'whatever'). Not + whatever other characters, that would be rather vague.

I basically agree with most of your original post, so I didnt want to repeat it.
    I think the rest of what you said was mostly how to make the most of a bad choice (as in 'if you arent going to just take 1 Noble.. then do this').
    So I just wanted to reinforce that 1 Noble is still the best way to go.

The reason I say put a Seal of Ghrond on him - Because I agree that magic is too expensive to take an effective amount at 1k, without making the rest of your army suffer badly.
    Also, enemies usually wont have enough magic themselves to warrant using 14% of your points on a lvl-1 scroll caddie just for defense.
    However you dont want to leave yourself with just the basic 2 DD. 3 isnt much either, but its enough to dispel 1 spell per turn comfortably.
    I think thats the most cost-effecient choice. Then you still have plenty of points left to spend on units. While still having a handy Noble & some dispel power.

happy?
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

damn 'net..

Sorry, Im trying to edit that post to explain why but it wont let me (. I'll try again tomorrow
    W L D
    21 5 5

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Could try a naked BSB. Sits there in a unit giving +1 CR, re-roll break tests and a few more attacks. Not bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Manu,
    Ah okay... BIG difference there! I see what you're saying now with you meant any ITEM not any other HERO. Makes alot more sense.
    Seal of Ghrond is just so useful because if you face VC, TK, or OnG (the 3 armies that can make magic work at 1k) it's all the benes of a caster w/ none of the drawbacks. And two of those three require you to have as good of melee characters as you can get.

Stone,
    I agree but a unit champ would be a must in that unit if it was otherwise a naked BSB... so if you faced an enemy unit with a tough character in it they couldn't just challenge you.
    -
    -
    -
    -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast