new list 2250 -please remark if you see this - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

new list 2250 -please remark if you see this

I'm getting that itch to try my hand at DoW again. For me this is one of the more challenging armies we can play and it let's me mix some odd models and use some models I haven't had a chance to play with in a while. Last time I went with a super magic list, but i don't think that you can get enough dice to make it worth the points. This time, I'm going for more combat.

250 Lvl 3 Wizard Lord 3x scrolls
    104 Captain barded warhorse, sword of might, shld, hvy armor, brace of pistols (general)
    124 Captain Pegasus, shld, hvy armor, brace of pistols, great weapon, lance
    107 Paymaster barded warhorse Heavy Armor, brace of pistols, Enchanted Shield, Biting Blade
    72c Duelists x8 w/ sword & pistol
    95c LtCavalry x5 w/spears, bows w/musician
    95c LtCavalry x5 w/spears, bows w/musician
    80c Crossbowmen x10
    219c Voland’s Venators x6 FC
    335s Beorg & Bearmen x20 FC
    201s Dwarves x19 FC HW/Shld, Heavy Armor
    202s Ironguts x4 musician
    202s Ironguts x4 musician
    170r cannon x2
    the wizrd is for defense mainly, casting an occasional spell or two. He and the PMaster will hang with the ldship 9 dwarves, maybe with the general too. xbows and cannons stay behind, everyone else goes up and surrounds and smacks the enemy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Why a lvl 3 wizard? 5 casting dice isn't going to do much. Is it just for the extra scroll? I guess it's cheaper than two lvl 1 wizards with scrolls.

I think that's about as good a DoW army as you can make.

Have you thought about Golgfag's ogres? They dish out a crap load of attacks, 19 with just four models. They won't hit as hard as Iron Guts, but they'd have 7 more attacks.

I think it's really well balanced and can do well. DoW are tough to make a good army with, but I like that one.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

yeah, basically I was trying to keep him cheap. If I take Beasts or something, then I can hopefully get crow's feast or the bolthrower or the movement spell and throw 4 dice at it (maybe total power) and then still have one left over for bear's anger.

It's so hard to get a decent amount of magic without magic items or bound spells anyway. I figured this way he'll do his job and stay alive. Basically the whole army is leadership 8 except the dwarves. Which is above average, but not great. I've thought about Golfags, but I'm hesitant to put too many banners out there. I usually don't run more than 3 in any of my other lists. Golfags unit ought to beable to take it to the enemy, but I think he'll get targeted more than usual as well. This way I have lots of less noticeable units (beorg's is probably the exception)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Yeah, banners on ogres aren't always the best idea. If you play the list, post how it does. I'm curious as I've never seen DoW well, even with good generals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a solid list. That wizard is ugly as hell though lol. I'd take a lvl 1 with 2 dispells and use lore of the heavens. It will save you 140 points and then you can drop one of the musicians in one of the ogre squads and take two more x8 duellist with pistols. If you did that you'd be 2 points under instead of 6 over and have 16 more bodies. In a tournament you can't even be 1 over.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

yeah, my only reservation about the lvl1 is that I play a bunch of guys, some of whom take 3 spell casters. Only having 3 DD and 2 scrolls won't even get me through the first turn. With the lvl3, at least I have 4 dispel dice and 3 scrolls. I was considering getting the +1 to dispel staff, since that usually helps me dispel all bound items and most TK incantations. I don't ever play in big tournaments, just the local RT and my friend runs them all, and he's more concerned with a nice, fair list than whether the point cost is right on. I actually only have about 3/4 of this list built and painted, so I've still got some work to do, to get it on the field. I know the wizard isn't the best buy as far as bang for the buck, but I'm trying him to see if he can hold the tide of magic that gets thrown around in our Thursday night games.

This may sound silly, but another problem I have is relating to the Movement 4 trooper. I'm used to playing a variety of elves and beastmen and Movement 4 is really slow to me. I get mixed up with guessing ranges all of a sudden, so having a list where I don't have to move a lot of movement 4 guys is useful to me. MOst of the list (except the duelists and Beorg) move faster and I'm used to. I'm actually using Kossars as my bearmen, since I have those models painted and don't get to use them often.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

M4 is very slow. Try switching to dwarfs!

But your ogres and cav will help a lot. And you're a smart player who knows to use terrain to his advantage. You'll be okay, but just be prepared to flee on occasion or absorb some charges.

And keep that paymaster alive. I always go kamikaze against a paymaster and his unit. Easy pickings, but your mount gives him a good armor save.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mean to be rude but if 3 dd and 2 scrolls wouldn't make you through the first turn then it seems kind of pointless to take a wizard thats 140 points more for 1 more dd and another scroll. It sounds like you proved my point for me bro. Take another unit other than the duellists with the extra points.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

that's fine, I'd like to try it. Right now I'm not sold on the duelist idea. A 2D6 str4 spell would kill them easily. If I have to block 2 of those a magic phase, usually with 4 dice, I can stop them, if he rolls high, then I can use a scroll. There are going to be a bunch of spells that I'll have to let go, but I'd like to be able to stop at least 2 of the big ones each turn til I can get into combat. I really don't see how more duellists will help. They'll either be trampled by a real fighting unit or killed by magic before they get into range for the pistols. If anything, maybe some more heavy cavalry might help. They don't wilt at the sight of bowfire or magic missiles (unless it's no armor save mm) If the lvl3 sucks, I'll try a level 1 and see if there's much of a difference. Thanks for replying at least, even if we don't agree.

@dave, I played Chaos dwarves about 3 times and decided to sell all my dwarves. The movement was killing me. That's my favorite phase in the game I figured out and I swore I'd never play M3 again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah you could lose one of the captains and take two level 1s with 2 dispel scrolls each and it'd be 30 pts cheaper than the level 3 still. You'd have the same DD and 1 more scroll. You'd lose a spell and a power dice but you could up one to level 2 with the points. And you could take a heavy cav squad with the points from the captain. Or whatever you wanted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast