The Motley Matelots - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Motley Matelots

Hi all

Just thought I would run my intended list on the forum for comments. A couple of years ago I started a pirate DoW army which never really reached fruition... until now. I have around 1500pts [including a couple of hundred points of proxies], but I am looking to have it up to 2000pts over the next month or two.

My intended list will look something like this [only a general list so points not included this time around]: Red items are units to be bought/converted

General/Pirate Captain

Captain/1st Mate

Paymaster/The Bosun

Wizard/Voodoo Priestess

10 Duelists, musician, pistols

23 Pikemen, Full command, Heavy armour [to be used in 6 files of 4 ranks + General - can be increased by 1 rank]

5 Scurvy dogs [fast cav, using Mordheim hounds, notify opponent prior to game of the units rules]

24 Bosun's lads [paymasters bodyguard], Full command, Heavy armour, War Banner

20 Drunken Scum [Norse marauders] musician standard

3 Leadbelchers

1 Maneater

2 Cannon + crew

Any comments?

On another note, I am thinking of having two general lists. One with the standard common magic items and one with the Italian GW DoW Campaign items from the 2005 campaign infopack [Brace of pistols from Sartosa, Pike of Remas, Bright Helm of Myrmidia, etc] for when opponents allow them. I think the give a more colourful feel to the generally lacklustre common item list and most of the items are well balanced, except for maybe the Pike of Remas and the Steel banner?? Other armies have far more unbalanced items than these , so I don't see a major issue on their inclusion.

What are peoples thoughts on these items?

Looking forward to your comments.

Last edited by motley_matelot; February 25th, 2007 at 23:04. Reason: Poor grammar/late night - Hope I got it all!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

What role is your voodoo priestess going to serve? It she just a scroll caddy?

Having played ogres, I'd strongly suggest a musician for the leadbelchers if you can find the points.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Initially she will be a scroll caddy.... I might end up with a voodoo/Inca contingent to the pirate force eventually and the magic phase might take a greater part in the army, but the pirates will suffice at the moment.

Thanks for the tip with the Leadbelchers, I'm sure I can scrounge up the points for a musician. With my dicerolling I partially expect to see some of my units turn and flee. In fact that is what I want my duelists to do, luring ranked units into difficult terrain.

Cheers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Playing against DoW, that's my experience. They run a lot, similar to Empire. Heck, I take musicians with my elves. They run plenty enough as it is!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could just use the standard light cav unit for your Scurvy dogs. That way the list will be fully "legal". I like the idea of Norse as "Drunken scum"!
    Cheers,
    Spon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry... my mistake. I should have noted that I use the light cav rules for the mordheim hounds... it was late when I posted the original. The notifying bit was to let an opponent know that the hounds are 'DoW Light Cavalry' and will have two attacks each [= horse and rider].

I have only played one game with them so far - a massacre against a Savage Orc army. I decimated them, mainly due to my duelists hugging woods and fleeing charges or running up on flanks, out of the charge arc, peppering the unit. one unit of 10 duelists accounted for 4 Savage orc boys in one shooting turn alone.

One of my duelist units voluntary fled, but didn't rally - even with a musician and being within 12" of the General as they scarpered off the table(

My voodoo priestess had her head blown off when she cast her first spell, dang magic.

I had two units of drunken scum [norse marauders], but they both lost their frenzy and one unit was run down by the remnants of the savage boar boys. Thats why I have decided to drop one unit to allow the maneater and leadbelchers to step in @ 2000pts.

The Drunken Scum are fun to convert. I have used some zombie legs on some of them to give a shambling walk. Another one is waving a bar stool over his head, one is wielding an anchor, another an oar and the musician is carrying a barrel on his shoulder. I have made about a dozen so far, with more on the way, with proxies filling the gaps.

Cheers for the comments.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

I'd love to see some pics sometime.

Yeah, Savage Orcs are too easy. I just sit in front of difficult terrain and let the chariots charge in. Even if I fail to flee, they usually destroy themselves in the terrain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't got a digital camera, but I think I could borrow one for a bit. I will take some pics before and after painting, as my paining isn't that great. I much prefer the actual converting... I will have to team up with a decent painter.

Back to the main topic - are there any thoughts on the composition of my 2000pts-ish. My main concern is how brittle DoW can be without some of the tougher units available - dwarfs, heavy cav etc. These don't really fit in with the feel of the army so won't be making an appearance.

Cheers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

Does the Paymaster serve as a battle standard bearer? I think that'd be really important for your list.

I asked about the priestess because I don't see one wizard being that useful. You'll end up with three dispel dice and apparently no scrolls. In that case, I'd take her as a lvl 1 user and give her two scrolls for just defense.

Otherwise I'd find a way to add a second priest/priestess. They could be a pair (husband and wife in their weird, voodoo way).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah the paymaster will be the BSB, as well as being in a unit of 25 paymasters bodyguards with the Warbanner. That will give me a static CR of 6 (7 with outnumber), coupled with Stubborn and hopefully a wound or two with the S4 attacks. Its an expensive unit, but I wanted to protect the paymaster as well as ranking up the static CR. In addition I will be assigning a unit of duelists as a screen and to offer support fire if any nasties get too close.

I am also thinking of using the maneater to act as flank protection, but still working out the overall mechanics of the ogre units in the 2000 pointer.

The voodoo priestess will have two dispell scrolls, I didn't add any magic items to the list when I first posted as I hadn't fully arrived at a definite setup. I might add another wizid and drop the captain... in fact I was thinking of getting the Vamp countess from Mordheim as she looks like a Pirate wench.

I will post the full list later in the week when I have had a chance to try out a few combinations of magic items.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast