Birdmen of Catrazza - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Birdmen of Catrazza

Ok, I'm just starting Warhammer for the first time. I'm running an Empire army using DoW. Fluff wise it's an Averland army using Tilean mercs, but pretty much I just don't like being "cookie-cutter" classes in games and want to surprise people a bit when I play Empire.

Pretty much I've been looking at the DoW units and the Birdmen of Catrazza keep getting my attention. So much so that I purchased a box of them (found for a decent price considering they're OOP).

I have two questions:

1.) How are these units? I know they're pricy, but they can fly and shoot while flying without penalty. I'm going to start with a unit of 5 but want to buy 2 more for a 7 unit.

2.) Can OOP Classic models be used in Tournament play?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

1: They aren't too good
    2: As long as it's made by GW and has rules, it's legal.
    Use Light, Beasts, Metal instead of Heavens
    NecroLords: Use at least one Death Mage
    Brets: Use Peasants&Damsels
    Skaven: Don't use Skryre SAD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Birdmen are pretty useless. Although they can move and fire, they
    effctively have normal bows, so can't really hurt armoured units. They are
    pretty puy against misile fire too (low T, no armour).
    Flying is nice, but you usually want to charge things with flyers, and the birdmen
    don't exactly rock in melee.
    Pretty much the worst flyers in WFB (considering how much they cost, and the
    fact they're rare).
    I believe ANY citadel model is legal in a GW tournament as long as it's WSYWYG,
    on the correct sized base and it's obvious to the opponent what it's supposed
    to be. It's always worth checking the rules in the tournament pack, though - I've
    been known to be wrong in the past!

Cheers,
    Spon

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

I think they'd be useful for basically the same things as fast cav, except baiting charges. They can marchblock and fire, they can hunt mages, war machines and other fast-cav. They are a little pricey for these roles, but their skirmishing and mobility may make them survive longer than pistoleers do.

They can reasonably charge human and elf mages, war machine crews (not dwarves) and some scout and expect to do ok. Everything else they should shoot.

I approve of them, neat to see some different models being played! Thanks for reminding me they exist, I'm gonna look into them for my Ogres&Cavalry DOW army.

EDIT: after looking at the rules, specifically the price per model, I wouldn't field them in my army. They are not worth a rare choice, and way too expensive for their capacity. Even as skirmishers, I'd think the enemy would make them a priority target for their wounds/VP ratio. They are similar to fast cav, which usually cost half as much.
    Last edited by kooshlord; August 11th, 2006 at 19:17.

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Birdmen cost a lot (25 points each), can't really shoot anymore, couldn't win combat against a war machine crew let alone a ranked unit, and what they can do – act as march interdictors and stage supporting flank or rear attacks – any light cavalry can do better and cheaper. They don't cause fear; they cause laughter – or tears.

I can't begin to describe how rotten they are in 6th edition. You should not have bought them Dagaron, do not use them if you want to win, just take light cavalry.

Good luck,

LT
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh well, maybe they'll be revamped in 7th. Not really counting on it, but I would have bought them anyway even if I hadn't already. The units are just too cool not to have in my future collection, and who knows, perhaps I'll find a useful tactic to deploy them or some tactic they're strong against?

Thanks for the quick response. I'll probably be asking about a few other DoW considering I'm going to be throwing some in my Empire army.