3500 PT 'Ard Boyz Possible List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3500 PT 'Ard Boyz Possible List

Hi all - would like some feedback from folks on a 3500 pt list I'm thinking about putting together for a 'Ard Boyz tournament. I'm trying to stay away from the Anvil of Doom, so setting up a pretty good gun line in support, coupled with strong infantry units to form a strong battle line. Anti magic wise - 8 dispel dice with a +3 to dispel. Also utilizing runes on most units + war machines so I'll have magical attacks.

Lord - General. Dwarf Lord. Shield, Shieldbearers, Runic Weapon (+1 Str, Strx2 vs To 5, +1 to hit), Runic Armor (Imm to KB/Posion, Reroll Armor Saves)
    Lord - RuneLord. Shield. Runic Weapon (+1 Str, +1 Attk), Runic Armor (Reroll Armor Saves, +1 Armor Save), Runic Talisman (+1 to Dispel)
    Hero - Thane. BSB with Master Rune Valaya
    Hero - Runesmith. Shield. Runic Weapon (Flaming), Runic Armor (+1 Armor Save), Runic talisman (Master Rune of Balance
    Hero - Thane. Shield. Runic Weapon (+1 Str, +1 Attk, +1 Int), Runic Armor (+1 Armor Save)
    Core - (24) Longbeards w/full command.
    Core - (24) Warriors w/full command.
    Core - (10) Thunderers
    Special - (23) Hammerers w/full command + Runic Standard Master Rune of Grungi
    Special - (24) Ironbreakers w/full command + Runic Standard Rune of Stoicism
    Special - Boltthrower w/Engineer + Rune of Burning
    Special - Boltthrower w/Engineer + Rune of Burning + Rune of Reloading
    Special - Grudge Thrower w/Engineer + Rune of Accuracy + Rune of Burning
    Special - Grduge Thrower w/Engineer + Rune of Accuracy
    Rare - (3) Organ Guns

Last edited by Skarsgard; March 25th, 2008 at 02:21. Reason: Specific rules for items have been posted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

First off, you're not allowed to put down the runes abilities on the forum as its a breach of copyright. Anyway, onto the list...

Remove the RosPerservation. With the shieldbearers the lord counts as having a US3, so immunity to killing blow is done there, and saves you a few points.

I don't see much point to a Runelord without the anvil. He isn't much better than an ordinary runesmith, his main saving feature is basically the anvil. If you insist on taking him, then you really need to give him at least one RoSpellbreaking. This applies overall, you will relying upon die rolls to stop magic, you should include at least one of these runes for safety - those times you really need to stop the spell.

The BSB will die. I am sorry for with only a 4+ save he is extremely vulnerable to death. Ideally he should be the one with the MRoSteel. Runic banners are nice, but much too costly to justify. Especially the MRoValaya.

Runesmith is OK, but I don't see the point in his flaming weapon. Be better to just give him a great weapon and let him actually do damage with his two attacks.

Thane, why +1I? You'd be better off making him a "Thane of Pain": MRoSwiftness, RoCleaving, RoStone. Much better for his points. Or just a great weapon plus some RoStone.

The units in general seem fine, but using the RoBattle on one of the units would be a good choice.

Why RoBurning on the bolt throwers? You'd be better off with RoPenetrating for S7. Also, RoReloading is cannons only I believe.

Grudge throwers are OK, one might have been better off with RoPenetrating for a real high strength attack. But you got the best rune upon there for sure, RoAccuracy.

No one is going to love you for your Organ guns. However, it might be an idea to swap out one for a gyrocopter. That would allow you to slow some units down, giving you more chances to reduce their numbers.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good advice - question though - is the anvil of doom worth taking that much? I can move some options around to make it fit - would taking Thorek be even better?

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

I would avoid Thorek, he is good but you won't be getting any high sportsmanship scores with him in there. As to the anvil, yes it's good. Dwarf armies will struggle to rank high without its help. The main reason for it's goodness is... its used in the shooting phase, thus the only way for it to fail is if you muck the die roll up. It cannot be dispelled. Also, the ability to move your units out of turn, or slow enemy units down is a great asset upon a slow moving army such as dwarfs.

It is admirable that you want to keep the anvil out, and it is not a must have for a dwarf army to work well but in tournament level you might find you'd be wishing for it. Also, it is a good addition in general - though you might find a lot of people will roll their eyes when you place it down on the board. *shrugs* Such is the game we play.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well rereading Thorek's entry (better chances of ancient with a reroll) almost make him seem too good to be true. Plus the nice thing is there aren't any sportsmanship points in this tournament (although probably won't make a habit of using him then). The only thing I'm not crazy about is his rune armor conflicts with my BSB bearer. End result - MRoS for that ward save. Oh well - I'll be extra careful with the BSB. Anyways - ammended list:

Lord - General. Dwarf Lord. Shield, Shieldbearers, Runic Weapon (RoC, RoM, RoSS), Runic Armor (RoR)
    Lord - Thorek Ironbrow.
    Hero - Thane. BSB with Runic Armor (RoR and RoS), Runic Talisman (MRoS)
    Hero - Runesmith. Shield. Runic talisman (MRoB, RoS)
    Hero - Thane. Shield. Runic Weapon MRoS, RoC, RoF), Runic Armor (RoS)
    Core - (10) Quarrellers
    Special - (23) Hammerers w/full command
    Special - (24) Ironbreakers w/full command + RoB
    Special - Boltthrower w/Engineer + RoB, RoP
    Special - Boltthrower w/Engineer + RoP
    Special - Grudge Thrower w/Engineer + RoA, RoB
    Special - Grduge Thrower w/Engineer + RoA
    Rare - (2) Organ Guns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're second list is pretty good as far as I see (Seeing as you took Arklite's advice). Regarding Thorek, well from what I know of the 'Ard Boyz, he'll hardly be the most cheesy thing there. And at over 3000 points he isn't the be all end all game dominater he is in 2000 points.
    May the Emperor forgive you, for his servants cannot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'm thinking now I'm just going to use my VC army in the 'Ard Boyz tournament (throwing together 3500 pts of Dwarves is expensive!). But still liking the way they play and the way the painted ones look!
    Chopping my list down to 2000 pts (starting block to collect with an eventual expansion to 3500 pts), I'm looking at:

Lord - General. Dwarf Lord. Shield, Shieldbearers, Runic Weapon (RoC, RoM), Runic Armor (RoR)
    Hero - Thane. BSB with Runic Armor (MRoG), Runic Weapon (RoFire)
    Hero - Runesmith. Shield. Runic talisman (MRoB, RoS), Great Weapon
    Hero - Thane. Shield. Runic Weapon (MRoS, RoC, RoF), Runic Armor (RoS)
    Core - (19) Longbeards w/full command.
    Core - (19) Warriors w/full command.
    Core - (10) Quarrellers
    Special - (1 Hammerers w/full command
    Special - Boltthrower w/Engineer + RoB, RoP
    Special - Boltthrower w/Engineer + RoB
    Special - Grudge Thrower w/Engineer + RoA, RoB
    Rare - (2) Organ Guns

Allows me to build with a future list in mind - thoughts, comments, concerns:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

anyone know if Dogs Of War are allowed in these tourneys?

BTW List 3 looks good . I echo the sentiments of Thorek not being cheesey at this tourney. Other tournies yes but not this one. to me it sort of the point of this tourney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kbolster12345 View Post
    anyone know if Dogs Of War are allowed in these tourneys?
    Nope. DoW not allowed in the tourny.

+ Reply to Thread