1000pts, new player starting Dwarfs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000pts, new player starting Dwarfs

Hey everyone,

I have been playing Imperial Guard for ages in the realm of 40k, and finally have bent to join in Fantasy. My friend who plays Wood Elves and Bretonnians has made a 1000pt Ultramarine army and has obliged me a few games, and now I am returning the favour and joining in with him and his friends to play Fantasy. I have decided, after some deliberation and reading of codexes, to play Dwarfs. Their miniatures appeal to me, and their playstyle is awesome. I am considering this for my 1000pt starting army:

Hero
    Thane with gromril armour, hand weapon, Rune of Stone, Oathstone (90pts)
    Core
    Longbeards (193pts)
    14 Longbeards with heavy armour, hand weapons, shields, full command
    Core
    Warriors (205pts)
    20 Warriors with heavy armour, hand weapons, shields, full command
    Core
    Warriors (205pts)
    20 Warriors with heavy armour, hand weapons, shields, full command
    Core
    Quarrellers (110pts)
    10 Quarrellers with crossbows, light armour, hand weapons
    Core
    Thunderers (140pts)
    10 Thunderers with handguns, light armour, hand weapons
    Special
    Bolt Thrower (45pts)
    1 Bolt Thrower with 3 crewmembers with handweapons

My plan is to deploy the Longbeards and Thane in the centre, with blocks of warriors on the flanks, with the warmachine placed to draw the enemy towards me and the missile troops deployed in between the blocks of warriors and longbeards, to draw them into me. It currently comes to 988pts. What should I change? I am a bit unhappy with the lack of war machines, as the engineering is one of the major fluff draws for me vis a vis Dwarfs. Is my Thane too poorly equipped? Also, should I include Runic Standards? What are your thoughts about this army?

"Not Another Step Back! Death to the Enemies of Man!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there welcome to the dwarves! I've been playing them for about six years now. I think this list is pretty solid but a agree that you dont have many war machines, but i think that bolt throwers are the most effective choice at 1k ( not many rank and file units). If it were me i would drop the unit of quarrlers for an organ gun. you then have 40 pts to play around with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would fiddle around with points to fit in another bolt thrower with Rune of Penetration and Burning. Or use an organ gun after dropping the quarrellers and use the spare points to add models or fit in runes on the THane

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah L. View Post
    Hi there welcome to the dwarves! I've been playing them for about six years now. I think this list is pretty solid but a agree that you dont have many war machines, but i think that bolt throwers are the most effective choice at 1k ( not many rank and file units). If it were me i would drop the unit of quarrlers for an organ gun. you then have 40 pts to play around with.
    40pts? He does?

10 pts left + the 110 of the quarrelers = 120
    120 - cost organgun = ...... ( I can't put the exact cost here :p )

Or do you mean to remove the boltthrower as well?

If you replace the quarrelers with an organgun and remove the boltthrower, with thise 40 pts you could make your Thane a bit harder. A rune of cleaving and rune of snorri spangelhelm work well together. 3 str 5 attacks with +1 to hit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should drop the quarrelers and tool up your thane (GW,MRoKragg the grim, RoFury,MRoGromril), banners aren't necessary but an organ gun is, in these small battles you can decimate units, cause panic tests, bake cakes..... Although you should deploy them with your thunderers so you can wipe out units. Maybe you should equip your thunderers with shields so they have some staying power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

I agree that the Quarrellers can be dropped, since you're already using Thunderers anyway. By giving them a Musician and Shields, they can also be effective as a counter-charging unit.

The artillery piece I would use, though, is a Cannon. If you're good at guessing distances (which you can practice) it has a longer range and can be tremendously more destructive. Additionally, when your enemy closes on you, you can switch it to Grapeshot, which oftentimes people forget they can do.
    But it's just personal preference in either case, the cost is essentially the same.

I would tweak your list thusly:

Thane: Shield, R.Striking, R.Fury, R.Stone

20 Warriors: Shield, Musician
    20 Warriors: Shield, Musician
    14 Longbeards: G.Weapon, Shield, Full Command
    10 Thunderers: Shield, Musician

Cannon: R.Forging

Lots of bodies, lots of hitting power. The Cannon can be swapped for an Organ Gun

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Why the, RoStriking? You're going to hit last, nearly all the time anyway?

Try and squeese in a second thane. He dosent have to be expensive, but hes going to do you good.

Remove the champions in the units where the thane's are going to be in.

And yeah, remove the quarellerrers, as the other have adviced on. You've got a BT anyway so..it should do the trick.

MroGrungni is always helpfull.

Dunno if he sees these posts, since its approx 3 months old

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

Why the, RoStriking? You're going to hit last, nearly all the time anyway?
    remember the rune of striking represents +1 weapon skill. by giving it to the thane you now have a WS7 hero who can make a nice and tidy living of hacking down other heroes and rank and file he comes across (more so considering WS3 now needs 5's to hit him)

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Was just thinking that, when hes fighting rank and file troops, they, most of the time, will hit the troops the thane is going with. And when hes fighting hero's, most have more than WS anyway.
    I would just use it elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread may be getting old but I am also trying to figure out a good 1000 point army. It seems if he is going to take LB with shield and HW why not then take IB? At least from what I understand the reason why anyone would take LB is for GW but I may be wrong.
    "Ah, but the truth is like an expensive whore, Jerek. She comes in many dresses and will bend over for any with the money to pamper her." ~ Konrad von Carstein

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast