500 point army against ogres - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500 point army against ogres

I am starting up Warhammer and my brother, who has already played before, is going to play wth me and help me along. He said he is going to be ogres and we are going to start at 500 point games. I am wondering what the best army for me to get is. Some ideas would be great.

Thank You.

As a wise man once said, "Beards are great as doggie bags."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if you want to start, but am not really sure what to buy, I say get the Battle for Skull pass set. You get 2 different armies, both at over 500 points, a rule book, and all the dice and templates you need. You will get to try out a dwarf army, and a goblin army. All this for $60! Once you decide which of the two armies you like, you just have to pick up the codex book for that army and your all set. I never counted the points on the goblin end, because i went dwarfs, but i know skull pass was at least 500 points, and with a runed up lord, you could push it to like 750-1000 points.

I hope that helped.
    Brogan Ironbrow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i will probably be getting Battle for Skull Pass for christmas and i like the dwarves, so i'll have those guys. Im just not sure if i should get more thunderers/quarllerers and defeat my brother, who will play ogres, from a range stand point or if i should get some ironbeards, slayers, and more warriors to just fight brute force with brute force.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Butterz View Post
    I am starting up Warhammer and my brother, who has already played before, is going to play wth me and help me along. He said he is going to be ogres and we are going to start at 500 point games. I am wondering what the best army for me to get is. Some ideas would be great.

Thank You.

As we all know warhammer isnt a cheap hobby. Read all the army lores, look over all the models and really put some of your own thought into what army you really want to play. They are all a blast (If you do choose Orcs and Goblins Or dwarfs the battle for skull pass is a great starter like stated up)
    Vampire Counts-4000 Points
    Empire-2250 Points
    Black Templars-2000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the Battle for Skull Pass, is the cannon also usable as an organ gun? If so, if i were to play against an army of Ogres, should i use it as a cannon or an organ gun? What is more effective?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both are fine for the costs, but the OG is notoriously good and frankly, nobody ever regrets taking one.
    About proxies, it's fully up to your opponent. If you want to use the goblins to fill your ranks, and arbitrarily turn the cannon into any other war machine, go ahead, but make sure your friend is 100% cool with it first as a lot of ppl frown on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so i should use the cannon as an OG and then maybe buy some slayers and ironbeards to help destroy the ogres if they come into charging range and i should also get maybe some thunderers/quarrelers to weaken the massive guys before they get to my "melee team"?

Tak
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    114 (x2)

If by Ironbeards, you mean Ironbreakers then no.

They're far too expensive to been throwing around in such a small game and if are testing the Dwarven waters I'd highly recommend sticking with plastics until you're dead set upon taking the army to 2,000/2,250.

To that ends; A Thane, 15 Warriors with Shields, 10 Thunderers and your Organ Gun should come to about 500 points and would only require you to buy a box of Warriors in addition to the Skull Pass models. If you're friend will let you proxy until you've made your mind up you can even fill the Warriors' ranks out with Miners and play just with Skull Pass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for that idea, i might do just that. Also i am wondering how many ogres my brother can have in a 500 point game. 2-4? that may be too low. Do you know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Butterz View Post
    i am wondering how many ogres my brother can have in a 500 point game. 2-4? that may be too low. Do you know?

I suspect more than that, they are expensive but i'm no ogre player so i wouldn't know completely.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast