2250 All-around Dwarf List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2250 All-around Dwarf List

This is my list after a few play tests and reading this forum up and down. I feel it is well balanced but may be character heavy. Three blocks of troops seems sturdy enough. Three blocks of missile troops and four shooting war machines. The gyrocopter, miners, and rangers afford some great maneauvering and positioning.

Thane (Gen) Oath - 130pts
    RoStriking
    RoIron(2), RoStone

Thane BSB - 145pts
    RoSpeed
    RoStone
    RoSpite

Thane - 122pts
    RoFire
    RoStone
    MRoChallenge, RoBrotherhood (Miners)

Runesmith GW, Sh - 131pts
    RoStone
    RoSpellbreaking(2)

2x Dwarf Warriors(19) Sh - 392pts
    Full Command

Thunderers(10) Sh - 155pts
    Musician

Quarellers(10) Sh - 125pts
    Musician

Quareller Rangers(10) GW - 145pts
    Musician

Hammerers(19) Sh - 277pts
    Full Command

Miners(9) - 104pts
    Musician

Cannon - 105pts
    Engineer

Bolt Thrower - 90pts
    Engineer
    RoPenetrating, RoBurning

Bolt Thrower - 65pts
    Engineer
    RoBurning

Organ Gun - 120pts

Gyrocopter - 140pts

Total is 2246pts
    Not really worried about the 4pts...

The general goes with a unit of warriors for a flank anchor. I think the BSB will go with a unit of warriors and the Runesmith with the Hammerers. Obviously, the other thane comes in with the unit of miners.

As usual, please comment with some constructive ideas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

nice list, few changes i would suggest, drop the quarreler rangers unit and the gen on oath stone, and take a dwarf lord, throw him into the unit of hammerers and it's a god.

if you have, or can make shieldbearers take it.

if not put him in by himself,

example build i use (not on shield bearer)

Lord, with shield, MRoSwift, RoFury, RoResistance, RoS, MRoSpite.
    273 points,
    gives him 5 attacks, ASF, 2+ rerollable armor save and a 4+ ward, put him with the hammerers which become ItF, stubborn, damn good unit.

otherwise it looks good,

ooh, another one, if you do go with that lord, drop a couple miners or something to scrounge up the points to give the hammerer's the Rune of Slowness, having your opponent fail a charge, so you can get the charge with your hammers = 1 happy dwarf unit.
    Painting: 20 quarrelers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I went with the lord and dropped the rangers don't you think I would loose options (since I am going for an all-around)? Are the quarreller rangers not effective? Could I make them more effective?

I went against taking a lord in this list, especially putting him in that hammerer unit for a few reasons. 1) We're talking about a 600+ point unit, roughly a quarter of the army. 2) A quarter of my army is in a tiny bundle with M3. 3) I can get 2 thanes for one lord and they are good in their own right.

Though I do not argue, that unit is boss. I originally wanted the rune of slowness on my hammerers but cut it. Does that banner really come into play that often?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

problem with quarreler rangers is you can only deploy them out of LoS of your oponent and at the required distance, now this means that to fire you have to spend a turn moving to get into a position to fire, then as your usualy close your getting charged rather quickly.

I use RoS, and it helps so much, against anything but calvary charging at max distance if you roll 1/2 decent you get the charge. eg, against humans and orcs and such, they can charge 8, so if they were out of your charge from last turn that means you need to roll a 2+ to prevent a charge, against skaven and other mv5, you may need a 5+ assuming they were at min range. most people know dwarfs and our fail movemnt so will stop the previous turn at around the 7"" charge distance, reason behind this is if you spend your movement turn moving backwards they will be out of range of the charge. if however their charging you from max range, then all you need is a 1 and you get the charge (it's still a failed charge so they move forward and unless their calv+ (move 7+) their within your charge range for next turn.
    Painting: 20 quarrelers

JJB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonebeard View Post
    This is my list after a few play tests and reading this forum up and down. I feel it is well balanced but may be character heavy. Three blocks of troops seems sturdy enough. Three blocks of missile troops and four shooting war machines. The gyrocopter, miners, and rangers afford some great maneauvering and positioning.

Thane (Gen) Oath - 130pts
    RoStriking
    RoIron(2), RoStone
    Give this guy a shield and r o preservation... the 5+ ward save wont save your 'general'

Thane BSB - 145pts
    RoSpeed
    RoStone
    RoSpite
    Instead of m r o spite just take m r o gromril, and a r o preservation. this will probably do fine

Thane - 122pts
    RoFire
    RoStone
    MRoChallenge, RoBrotherhood (Miners)

Runesmith GW, Sh - 131pts
    RoStone
    RoSpellbreaking(2)

Almost all of your cahracters are thanes. As I've read above i understand that you dont want a lord, but then you should really consider taking r o courage on you unit hammerers. this has the exact same effect as putting a lord in there.
    Also you lack on anti magic. 5 dispel dice simply isn't enough in a 2,250 game. i'd say drop on r o spellbreaking, and take m r o balance instead. ofcourse you'll have to take off another 25 pts somewhere else, but its worth it.

2x Dwarf Warriors(19) Sh - 392pts
    Full Command

Thunderers(10 Sh - 155pts
    Musician
    drop the musician, they dont need it at all...

Quarellers(10 Sh - 125pts
    Musician
    drop the musician...

Quareller Rangers(10 GW - 145pts
    Musician
    I'd say drop the whole unit, or downgrade them to normal quarrelers. You can use them as a flanking unit. they are quiet cool with strength 5...

Hammerers(19) Sh - 277pts
    Full Command
    Like i said, you really want r o courage. (or go with a lord, but you dont want that so...)

Miners(9) - 104pts
    Musician
    dont need a musician, go with a prospector and a steam drill

Cannon - 105pts
    Engineer

Bolt Thrower - 90pts
    Engineer
    RoPenetrating, RoBurning

Bolt Thrower - 65pts
    Engineer
    RoBurning
    I personally dont think you need 2 BT's with r o burning, but otherwise they look fine.

Organ Gun - 120pts

Gyrocopter - 140pts

Total is 2246pts
    Not really worried about the 4pts...

The general goes with a unit of warriors for a flank anchor. I think the BSB will go with a unit of warriors and the Runesmith with the Hammerers. Obviously, the other thane comes in with the unit of miners.

As usual, please comment with some constructive ideas.
    I hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is killing blow and or poison really such a concern for a model with 2 wounds? I know the BSB and General need to be kept alive - lots of VPs - but I also want to keep their points minimal. (I did give the Gen a shield, forgot to note it) MRoGromril was pretty tempting. I chose the ward save instead.

RoCourage would be good in the Hammerers since that's the only way an enemy will break this unit with that BSB around. I should try and squeeze that in.

I was told and have felt that 5DD and 2 Scrolls is better than 6DD and 1 scroll. Whats the concensus on that?

Concerning the bolt throwers, I'm going to cut one in favor of upgrading a unit of warriors to longbeards. Keeping the one with RoPen and RoBurning. Then I can throw RoBurning on the cannon.

Don't most people put a musician on their missile troops?

I think prospector and steam drill is a lot of points for a reroll. Do you really feel that's worth 35 points? They work well coming in on turn 3 anyway.

Awe, nobody likes the unit of quarreller rangers? I think putting them in a wood off to a flank and making someone deal with them is a good option. I need something to contest table quarters. Also, if someone charges, I flee, they get stuck in a wood... the suckers!
    I could give em throwing axes to cut points... *sniffle* Please?

I'll post a new list shortly.

JJB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

killink blow will really hurt you, because it just kills the model instantly.

If you like 5 DD and 2 scrolls better, then you should do that. But 6 DD (remember you are also taking away one die from the opponents pool, so you actually catch up 2 DD) is better than 2 scrolls IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to go against the grain here and say the rangers at least to me make sense. Sure you have to hide them but i dont think they are ment to be firing first turn like normal quarrellers, these boys (before I start, I imagine you have thought this through already, but for everyone else, not saying you havent but just thought I should put it down on paper) are there to denie lanes of advance, slow down your oppent, to disrupt him, or go after his machines etc.

Sure they can be run over without much pause, but you angle them deceptively towards say the forest they had to hide behind you can take out a unit from being effective from much the game. Frenzied units just can't get enough of doing this. The thane could be of use in here aswell but it depends on what you see as more ... bait in a loose sense of the word. (miners being more of a table quarters kind of bunch IMO).

If they chose to ignore them, just use them as a another march blocker, get them to follow a unit (or two) and the gyro can then go and do its own thing (or keep march blocking another unit) or even get a rear charge. remmeber we dont care how close they are we can still march. so a block of infantry could eventually get charged in the rear by a Unit of rangers ( M4,5 against March 6... we would get there in the end.) Again why I think the thane could be better suited here but thats just me.

Anyway this is how I imagine I would use them, and rereading this makes more sense for warrior Rangers (cheaper and but no crossbows...guess its how you plan to use them) just some food for thought.

or I could be crazy. The prince.
    Last edited by Prince666; October 29th, 2009 at 14:06.

+ Reply to Thread