First 2000pt list in 5 years - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First 2000pt list in 5 years

I have decided to get back into fantasy after spending a long time not playing. After many months drifting between which army I should play I decided to go back to my old dwarf army which hasn't seen the light of day in maybe 5 years.

After spending the last few days saving what models I could I picked up the new army book (well newish it is a bit dated now i guess!) and came up with this army list. Keep in mind I am a little rusty on the rules. I think everything is nice and legal but if it isn't please tell me.

Anyways the list

Dwarf Lord
    Rune axe with:
    Master rune of swiftness
    Rune of Cleaving
    Rune of Fury
    Rune armor with:
    Rune of Resistance
    Rune of Stone

Thane
    Battle Standard
    Rune of Sanctuary

Runesmith
    Master Rune of Balance
    Rune of Stone
    Rune of Striking

Runesmith
    Master Rune of Spellbinding
    Rune of Stone

20 warrios
    sheilds
    great weapons
    full command

20 longbeards
    great weapons
    sheilds
    full command
    Rune of Slowness

10 Thunders

10 Thunders

Cannon
    Rune of reloading

Bolt Thrower
    Engineer
    Rune of Burning
    Rune of Penetrating

10 Miners
    Full Command
    Steamdrill

10 ironbreakers
    full command

And that comes to 2000pts

The people who I would play against most play elves so lots of magic hence all that magic defense.

Also I know the longbeards are an expensive unit but I have the old metal models which I love and I am dying to use them again. The lord will travel with them and I think they will be able to hold their own against most other elite units.

"Never underestimate the value of doing nothing"
    -Winny the Pooh

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x1)

Well, first things first, welcome back to the Iron Halls!

For someone that's just picking it up after five years, that's a pretty good start you've got there.

I'll give you some comments on how to tailor the list to make it a fun all-round list but it'd be useful to know if you have any specific styles of play in mind you'd like the army to function as (e.g. heavy combat, anti-magic, shooty death, shieldwall, etc.) so we can give further extensive advice.

Right, onto the list:

Lord - this guy is pretty good and will stand up for himself but the general consensus (no pun intended) is that your general should be mounted on shieldbearers. For their points, he gets 2 extra longbeard-equivalent attacks, +2 to his armour Save, and become Immune to Killing Blow (which more and more armies have access to and will throw at him if they see him without shieldbearers). They don't go towards your Rune Point Limit so they're an absolute bargain.

BSB - He's a must for a dwarf army but the Sanctuary Rune is a bit of a waste with all your anti-magic and Dwarfs high toughness against magic missiles. Give him RoGuarding for a bit of security as he'll need to stay alive as long as possible.

Runesmiths - I LOVE the dwarves' acccess to heavy anti-magic, and I like what you're doing here. RoStone is definitely worth it but a favourite configuration instead of buying Runic weapons is to buy them a shield and a great weapon each (remeberhe already comes with a hand weapon) to give you options in combat. If you need extra armour, he can fight with shield and hand weapon which, combined with his gromril armour and the Rune of Stone will give him a 1+ AS in combat. If you can afford the lesser armour save, the great weapon gives him S6 which is not to be sneezed at. Make sure they're not going against anything that will mince them. Then give each 50pts worth of Runes (1 with MRoBalance and 1 with 2 RoSpellbreaking)

Warriors - Nice unit size although great weapons should go. Warriors win through attrition and static combat resolution (i.e. starting unit size, ranks, banners, etc.).

Longbeards - NICE. Arguably the best point-for-point infantry we have. Arguably. Work well with Warriors nearby too.

Thunderers - these guys are great although I'd rather see one unit of 10, and one unit of 10 Quarrellers for their extra range. Remember, if you get first turn, your Thunderers are wasted because your opponent will be out of range, and if you move, you cant fire. Also, give these guys shields because in combat they get a 4+ armour save which is a nasty surprise for the stuff that usually gets sent to hunt shooters like skirmishers and flyers.

Cannon - MUST MUST MUST have RoForging. Why they don't come as standard I'll never know, but the ability to reroll misfires on both rolls is a godsend. Maybe consider RoBurning as well as its cheap but it negates Regeneration Saves which are abundant in the current meta.

Bolt Thrower - Perfect.

Miners - Interesting choice and very good for hunting war machines on your opponents back line. I'd drop them down to 8 max and leave the steamdrill behind though. General consensus is its not worth it.

Ironbreakers - Nice little unit this one. Not big enough for your main battle lines but stick them on a flank and they'll be a hindrance if nothing else. I'd be tempted to give them RoCourage as a LOT of the best armies feature fear-causing flankers. If you can, bump them to two ranks of seven for increased flank catchment area.

Overall, I've suggested a lot of additions, you'll have to trim and cut accordingly to find the points but these are your initial steps towards crafting a cool list.

Hope that helps.

Q
    Last edited by Quannum; June 24th, 2009 at 23:12.
    Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Quannum for the in depth advice. The help with what runes to get on which units is awesome I am still getting familiar with the different rules and its hard when the last time you played was with the old army book!

Yes i probably going a bit over board with the magic defense on the thane, i still have nightmares about my friends magic heavy dark elf army from way back, and i will change that.

At an club i used to play at one of the veteran dwarf players used to swear by having a small unit of miners. They are great for taking out warmachines like you said and your right about reducing them warmachine crews are rarely over 4 models.

I have wanted to buy the shield bearer model for ages so thanks for the excuse!!

Also I am thinking of replacing the cannon with a grudge thrower. What are your thoughts on that?
    Last edited by chuckles; June 25th, 2009 at 01:52. Reason: Spelling etc
    "Never underestimate the value of doing nothing"
    -Winny the Pooh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x1)

Cannon or Grudge Thrower....

...now there's a choice that most Dwarf players never want to have to make.

Most will say, take BOTH. A Cannon with the RoForging is the most reliable Warmachine not only available to us, but in the entire game. A grudge Thrower with the RoPenetrating (and if possible the Rune of Accuracy) can be completely devestating. Cannons are best against big targets and multi-wound models, Grudge Throwers are great against big blocks.

I'd genuinely think about taking both. I do. Just to give you an example of an experienced player's list, here's my balanced all-round 2000 point list for deliberation:

Dwarf Lord – 281 pts.
    Shieldbearers/GW/MRoSteel/RoResistance/RoStone/MRoChallenge

BSB Thane – 145 pts.
    BSB/RoBattle/RoGuarding

Runesmith – 131 pts.
    GW/Shield/RoSpellbreaking/RoSpellbreaking/RoStone

10 Quarrellers - 120 pts.
    Shields

20 Warriors - 205 pts.
    Full Command/Shields

18 Longbeards – 266 pts.
    Full Command/Shields/RoBattle

18 Hammerers – 314 pts.
    Full Command/Shields/RoBattle/RoStoicism

14 Slayers – X pts.

1 Cannon – 130 pts.
    RoForging/RoBurning

1 Grudge Thrower - 130 pts.
    RoPenetrating/RoAccuracy

1 Organ Gun - X pts.

TOTAL: 1996 pts.
    DP: 5 + 2 Runes

Q
    Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, first of all i have agree with Quannam - you have made a surprisingly solid start to your army list after 5 years . As for all the suggestions, i have to agree with all of them to . With the Grudge thrower/cannon debate, here is my view. I never take cannons. In every list i make there is always one grudge thrower, sometimes even two. IMO they do more damage than cannons and cost around the same. Of course they need the right runes as Quannam pointed out (penetrating and accuracy), and with a ME they become costly but can re-roll both the scatter die and the artillery die. This make them very reliable combined with good guesses. If i know im going to be vsing some armies where cannons would be useful, i just cut it down to 1 GT and then add a couple of BT's with runes of penetrating/burning (and engineers of course). They do pretty much the same job but are cheaper. Just my view on cannons and GT and i know cannons can be very useful, but for some reason i have just always disliked them . That ends my rant i think.

+ Reply to Thread