<1000 1750 Tourney Advice? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1750 Tourney Advice?

Thane - 142
    -Rune of Stone
    -Shield
    -Rune of Snorri
    -Rune of Fury
    -Rune of Cleaving

Runesmith - 95
    -Rune of Spellbreaking

Runesmith - 120
    -Rune of Spellbreaking
    -Rune of Spellbreaking

16 Warriors - 169
    -HW
    -Shields
    -FC

12 Warriors – 133
    -HW
    -Shields
    -FC

19 Longbeards – 272
    -Rune of Stoicism
    -Rune of Determination
    -GW
    -FC

12 Quarrelers - 144
    -Shields

10 Quarrelers – 120
    -Ranger

12 Thunderers – 168

8 Miners – 138
    -Steam Drill
    -FC

Cannon - 100
    -Rune of Reloading

Grudge Thrower - 105
    -Rune of Accuracy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks good for me but I'll cut at list one runesmith you don't need them that much.. get some engineers instead.
    why do you have so many small units I mean 12 and 16 wariors.
    what is a main plan for that army???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm new to Dwarfs and I was going for versatility, but if the small units are going to hurt me I can change them.

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Advice

The main body of the list looks decent, but there are some things that really need some changing, or they will be an enormous liability in a tourney.
    First the places where you can save points:
    • As Wisnia said, 1 runesmith is enough. You can put some magic resistance runes here and there to get a bit more protection. Drop the one with the 2 runes of spellbreaking.
    • Drop the 12 warriors, we can buff up the other unit.
    • Drop the full command on the miners, it's a waste of the points as the unit is small, and the banner gives 100 VP away. The drill isn't really a necessity, and rather expensive. 35 pts for a prospector with drill!
    • The rangers might be usefull, but I won't bet on it. It will take them a bunch of turns to get out of the spot you deploy them in, and all the while they can't use their crossbows. In the forest they will move 1.5" each turn, so not really worth the effort. You've already got miners, that's a unit in enemy territory enough already. Remove theranger upgrade
    • Drop the GW's on the Longbeards, they just don't function with those things. Shields is what they need. You forgot to add the cost of the runes on the banner btw.

That's 351 pts.
    351 - 45 ( the banner runes you forgot to add ) = 306 pts.
    This howmany points you have saved with this: 306 pts.

And now we can get to spend it all! hihi!
    • Give the runesmith a shield, and rune of stone. Very cheap, and he will have a 1+ save in combat! Ws5 and str4, so he can go in a unit and add some punch.
    • Give the runesmith a rune of warding. Very cheap, and gives him and his unit some magic resistance.
    • Add 4 warriors to the 16 strong unit. 20 is a good number, although 25 better. 20 Is good enough though.
    • Add 1 more longbeard and give the longbeards shields.
    • Replace the rune of stoicism with a rune of battle. Getting the outnumbering bonus is fun, but I'd rather have an extra point of combat resolution guaranteed. Otherwise take a rune of battle and stoicism and drop determination. However, my own army longbeards have a rune of courage, it is hearthbreaking to see your 300 pts unit run away because of a silly failed fear or terror test. This decision is up to you. In points ( below ) I will count replacing the rune of stoicism for battle, but there should be enough points left to change it as you please.
    • Give the 10 quarrelers whose ranger upgrade we just removed some shields, can't leave home without 'em.
    • Give the 12 thunderers shields, can't leave home without em, ever ever! They grant a 4+ save in combat, so if an enemy manages to charge you after weathering your fire and fighting your units you still have a very good chance to beat them, as all dwarfs are excellent fighters with Ws4 and T4.
    • Rune of Forging on the cannon. Rerolling misfires? Yes please.
    • Rune of penetrating on the grudge thrower. A str5 template is nothing to sniff at.

That's 181 pts.
    That leaves a whopping 125 pts to use.

I strongly advise you use this money on another hero, on a bolt thrower, or an organ gun. It's enough to build a nice BSB with.
    Thane, army battle standard, master rune of gromril: 115 pts.

My 1500 pts list has similarities to yours. I will put it here, you might draw some inspiration from it, as it works just incredible and is capable of annihilating nearly anything. It has plenty of shooting, backed up by good combat as well, and a BSB with a powerfull trick up his sleeve.

It might be handy:

Thane
    pistol
    shield
    rune of stone
    rune of fury
    rune of snorri
    rune of cleaving

Thane
    army battle standard
    rune of cleaving
    rune of might ( THIS ROCKS. Look in my signature, a small summary of the things I have killed with it, and I haven't been using it for that long. )
    Master rune of gromril

Runesmith
    rune of stone
    shield
    great weapon ( so you can choose what you want to use. 2 great weapon attacks are very handy. )

20 warriors
    shields, full command

20 longbeards
    shields, full command, rune of courage

10 thunderers
    shields

10 quarrelers
    shields

cannon
    rune of forging

bolt thrower
    rune of penetrating
    rune of burning
    engineer
    brace of pistols ( this is ooooh so handy! You can always stand and shoot with them, might give an extra kill, you can shoot at flyers that land next to your warmachine, and they count as additional hand weapons, so an extra attack if the crew does get attacked. )

organ gun ( lovely, knight killer, and the psychological effect it has on the enemy is immense. Most people who play against me try to shoot/magic it down as quikly as possible, and focus all their efforts on it to get rid of it in the first turn, and even if the organ gun hardly does any real damage during the game. With T4 your crewmembers are actually able to survive most arrow volleys after they've randomised, and return some fire. )

The above is 1498 pts. I think your list would work better if you modeled it after mine, and added 250 pts.
    With those 250 pts you can add miners, a rune of determination to the longbeard banner, a rune of spellbreaking to the runesmith and a grudge thrower with rune of accuracy.

I hope my walls of text and towering lists are helpfull, this list has given me victory time and time and again, and especially the BSB with the rune of might has managed to destroy tough enemy bosses and monsters in one or two rounds ( like steamtanks, I don't fear these things anymore, hihi. )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my suggestion is:
    Thane Gen- 121
    Gromril Armour,shield, Great weapon
    Rune of Stone
    Master Rune of Spite

Thane BSB - 220
    Master Rune of Stromni Redbeard
    Rune of Guarding

Master Engineer- 75
    Rune of Stone

18 Longbeards - 291
    Full CG,Shield
    Runic baner
    Master Rune of Grungini

25 Wariors - 250
    Full CG, shield

10 Quarrelers - 110

10 Quarrelers - 110

10 Thunderers - 140

Grudge Thrower - 130
    Rune of Accuracy
    Rune of Penetrating

Cannon - 90

Organ cannon - 120

5 Miners- 90
    Prospector - Steam drill

Total 1747

So u have 2 strong units for a combat, plenty of shooting.

Setup both Thanes with Longbeards - this unit will give you ward in 6 inches on 5+ against shooting in addition both of characters are well protected and you have +1 CR in 12 inches.
    Setup an Engineer with Cannon.
    Wait for your enemy and win a game!!!!
    When u r shooting from cannon and Grudge Thrower you must guess range so get some practice at home before tunament.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah even no runesmith there is not a lots of magic under 2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thane - 142
    -Rune of Stone
    -Shield
    -Rune of Snorri
    -Rune of Fury
    -Rune of Cleaving

Runesmith – 117
    -Rune of Spellbreaking
    -Rune of Stone
    -Rune of warding
    -Shield

Thane - 165
    -BSB
    -Master Rune of Gromril
    -Master Rune of Grungni
    -Rune of Cleaving
    -Rune of Might

20 Warriors - 205
    -HW
    -Shields
    -FC

20 Longbeards – 310
    -Rune of Stoicism
    -Rune of Battle
    -GW
    -FC

12 Quarrelers - 144
    -Shields

10 Quarrelers – 110
    -Shields

11 Thunderers – 180
    -Shields

8 Miners – 88

Cannon - 125
    -Rune of Forging

Grudge Thrower - 130
    -Rune of Accuracy
    -Rune of penetrating

This is what I've come up with so far, But I'm still tweaking it. I'm considering fielding both Thanes with the Longbeards, and the Runesmith with the Warriors. I'm kinda 50/50 on whether the Longbeards should trade the GW's for Shields, I understand the reasoning but I just like how hard-hitting they can be. My Longbeards and fear causing units has been a real issue lately because they kee ending up toe to toe with my friends phoenix guard, I just can't see how to fit it in. I'd really like to field one of my Organ Guns but I can't seem to find the points, it looks like it comes down to a unit of Quarrelers/Thunderers vs Organ Gun, I don't know if it's worth it.
    "T'dr'duzk b'hazg t't!" WHFB: Dwarfs, Orcs & Mostly Goblins, Empire, Lizardmen, and Skaven. 40k: Tyranids

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Thane - 165
    -BSB
    -Master Rune of Gromril
    -Master Rune of Grungni
    -Rune of Cleaving
    -Rune of Might
    The masterrune of grungni is in his equipment, but not in his point cost?
    Also the BSB cannot have runic armour and weapon if he has a runic banner.

If your longbeards tend to go toe to toe with phoenix guard than you should definately take the shields. It's str4 against T3 anyway, so str6 is a bit of overkill. And high elves always strike first, so with only heavy armour the phoenix guard's halberds will bring you down to a 6+ save, Only your champion will be able to fight back, unless the elfs roll terrible.

Shields are cheaper and better. They help them stand up to missile fire and give an awesome 3+ armoursave in close combat. Str4 is good enough. Dwarf units aren't really depended on making kills to win, but more on refusing to die. Making a lot of kills suits armies with units that have 2 or more attacks, we only have 1.

An organ gun can be unpredictable, but str5, -3 armoursave and automatic hits? Yes please. If you compare the effectiveness of 10 quarrelers ( those cost 120 with the shields btw, not 110 as in your list. And the 11 thunderers cost 165 ) to an organ gun, then it is much more effective. Quarrelers will need to hit ( most of the time on 5's ) and wound ( usually 3's ) and the enemy has most of his armoursave left. An organ gun hits automatically, even skirmishers in forests, wounds ( usually on 2's ) and only units with a 3+ save will have that useless 6+ left. Knights are doomed when they get into range of this thing. When removing the 10 quarrelers you still have 23 missiletroops, and that is more than enough. I've got 20 myself.
    Last edited by The bearded one; March 14th, 2010 at 14:31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, that was embarassing. Let me try this one more time. Here goes:
    Thane - 142
    -Rune of Stone
    -Shield
    -Rune of Snorri
    -Rune of Fury
    -Rune of Cleaving

Runesmith – 117
    -Rune of Spellbreaking
    -Rune of Stone
    -Rune of warding
    -Shield

Thane - 165
    -BSB
    -Master Rune of Gromril
    -Rune of Cleaving
    -Rune of Might

25 Warriors - 250
    -HW
    -Shields
    -FC

20 Longbeards – 290
    -Rune of Stoicism
    -Rune of Battle
    -Shields
    -HW
    -FC

13 Quarrelers - 144
    -Shields

11 Thunderers – 165
    -Shields

8 Miners – 88

Cannon - 125
    -Rune of Forging

Grudge Thrower - 130
    -Rune of Accuracy
    -Rune of penetrating

Organ Gun – 120

*Holds Breath*
    "T'dr'duzk b'hazg t't!" WHFB: Dwarfs, Orcs & Mostly Goblins, Empire, Lizardmen, and Skaven. 40k: Tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've play tested the above army list and have found my point might be better spent on a pair of BT's than the Miners. Nobody really seems threatened by a little slow-moving unit showing up at a table edge.

Thane - 142
    -Rune of Stone
    -Shield
    -Rune of Snorri
    -Rune of Fury
    -Rune of Cleaving

Runesmith – 112
    -Rune of Spellbreaking
    -Rune of warding
    -Shield

Thane - 165
    -BSB
    -Master Rune of Gromril
    -Rune of Cleaving
    -Rune of Might

25 Warriors - 250
    -HW
    -Shields
    -FC

20 Longbeards – 290
    -Rune of Stoicism
    -Rune of Battle
    -Shields
    -HW
    -FC

10 Quarrelers - 108
    -Shields

10 Thunderers – 150
    -Shields

Cannon - 125
    -Rune of Forging

Grudge Thrower - 130
    -Rune of Accuracy
    -Rune of penetrating

Bolt Thrower - 85
    -Engineer
    -Rune of Penetration

Bolt Thrower - 60
    -Engineer
    Organ Gun – 120

Last edited by AGnemmi; March 19th, 2010 at 08:03.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast