<2000 Dwarf Gunline 2250 - Friendly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dwarf Gunline 2250 - Friendly

Ok, so I've been playing dwarfs for a few months now with a 1k gunline. In my experience of using this army I've discovered that using a gunline can either go fantastically well or completely terribly, I've not had much in the way of drawn games so far

I wrote this 2250 list a while ago to sum up what I'd eventually like to achieve with my Dwarf army. Reading through it now, having had the experience of playing several games with my smaller list, I'm slightly dubious about how effective a gunline would really be in larger games. Hence why I'm posting the list! C&C welcome as always

Lord - 301
    Shieldbearers
    Great Weapon
    MRO Spite
    MRO Adamant
    RO Resistance
    RO Stone
    RO Furnace

Thane - 144
    Great Weapon
    MRO Kragg
    RO Snorri
    RO Fury
    RO Stone

Runesmith - 127
    Shield
    RO Spellbreaking
    RO Spellbreaking
    RO Stone

19 Warriors - 196
    Shields
    FC

19 Longbeards - 253
    Shields
    FC

10 Thunderers - 150
    Shields

10 Thunderers - 150
    Shields

10 Quarrellers - 120
    Shields

18 Hammerers - 264
    Shields
    FC

Cannon - 125
    RO Forging

Bolt Thrower - 85
    Engineer
    RO Penetrating

Bolt Thrower - 90
    Engineer
    RO Penetrating
    RO Burning

Organ Gun - 120

Organ Gun - 120

Total: 2245 points

I'll start from the top, shall I?

Character-wise, I really like the whole Brick-Lord build I've got here. T6 with a re-rollable 1+ save and a 4+ ward means he's far from easy to kill, and considering he's not too shabby at being hitty on top of that then I think he's well worth the points. The Rune of the Furnace was just thrown in to make up points/make him ever so slightly less killable As for the Thane, there's something bugging me about him. After revising this list for the first time in a few months it feels like I've invested a lot of points into something that's far from outstanding. Four S6 attacks with +1 to hit and a 3+ save is nice, but is it worth 70 points in weapon runes? I'm quite tempted to downgrade him to a simpler and cheaper Great weapon wielder with MRO Gromril. I've considered a BSB but that would mean investing a lot more points in him. Need comments on this one especially people! The Runesmith is fairly straightforward, could maybe lose one of those RO Spellbreaking if I needed the points.

Cores are quite simple as well, I figure the Runesmith will sit in the 19 Warriors and the Thane will go with the Longbeards. The two units of thunderers have proved solid in 1k, so I see no reason to change that. I almost got rid of the unit of quarrelers in favour of another unit of warriors, as from my smaller battle experience it's started to dawn on me that 3 CC units may not be enough in several cases. I figure I should keep the quarrelers for the sake of variety now but I'm still not sure, any thoughts?

For specials, standard cannon set-up and chariot instagibbing bolt throwers. The only thing really worthy of note out of the special choices is the Hammerers. As you guessed, imma stick the Lord in that unit and they'll more than likely be my central CC unit. I went with Hammerers over Ironbreakers to carry my lord because I thought Stubborn LD10 and ignore fear/terror outweighed the 2+ save in combat. If there are any people rooting for Ironbreakers I'd like to hear why

Rares, 2 Organ Guns. Simple as. It's a gunline, course I wasn't gonna take a Gyrocopter!

So there you have it, apologies for the lengthy post :L I seldom post on here anymore so I did get a liiittle carried away. Anyways, as I said, C&C!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off let me start by saying I'm not a gunline player but I'll tell you what I've learned from my marching army.

Characters :

Ok first starting with your lord. Personally i think your dropping way to many points on defense there. If i saw that guy coming i would just kill the unit to win combats. Eventually you'll roll a 10+ on dice (lord with hammer's is only suborn 9, the lord doesn't have stubborn so you don't end up with stubborn 10). Usually all he needs for defense is a nice armor with rune of stone and resist. That gives you a 1+ re-rollable that most people would be hard pressed to get through. I usually spend a good amount of points on his weapon because i like the combat res to brake units. Just giving him a gw is fine, But i like to one up that with a MRo Kragg The Grimm and two runes of furry. So i usually end up with 100 points of magic items on him and he tears people a new one.

With the Thane i have a few opinions there as well. I'm a big fan of S5 characters with 4 Attacks. I really suggest you drop his weapon to something like a hand weapon with Rune Of Fury, and Rune of Cleaving. I sometimes get tricky with it and give him rune of swiftness as well (helps keep more of your guys alive because the enemy front rank lost a few guys). If you do something like that and you drop rune of stone and a shield on the dude he has a 2+ armor save.

RuneSmith is fine, can't really go wrong with a scroll caddy if your expecting a lot of magic.

Your have one more hero slot and depending on your opponent and need i really suggest bringing a Master engineer with nothing but your standard brace of pistols. He go great with a cannon if your expecting big monsters. With G.W. Giving people a lot of these now a days you could be hard pressed to find something to shoot with a d6 wounds cannon.

Onto Core:

Ok this is were my info for this type of army gets a bit iffy but i have some solid ideas you can defiantly try out.

OK with the 19 warriors, I'm not seeing them doing to much in a gun line. I would suggest you drop them for another unit of quarrellers.

With the Thunderers i've been coming to the idea there really just ok. If you win the first turn they can't shoot and i think that really hurts them because you need to get to the killing rather fast. The Armor Pen and +1 to hit are really nice but i think the extra range is just worth it. Also with quarrellers you can provide them with great weapons, which i find to be rather nice. If the enemy gets to your main block you can hold them and charge a unit of quarrellers into the flank which is pretty sweet.

Specials:

Ok the specials are all pretty solid, there nothing much to say for an all comers list. If you know who your playing though you should always tool to that. I don't see most people take chariots against dwarfs anymore (i think they've learned better by now). I usually just bring two standard bolt throwers with Engineers as that usually gets the job done and frees up extra points.

Rares:

I love organ guns don't get me wrong. I just think there too sporadic, while yes you can assume there going to do massive damage but if you keep rolling 2 there not doing much. The reroll is always risky because it could just end up not firing that turn. I find my self enjoying the Flame Cannon a lot on T3 armies. It wrecks infantry blocks. Organ Guns are great but i do suggest you try out the flame cannon as i think you would like it.

So over all these are just my suggestions from what I've seen working. If you give it a try let me know how it worked out for you.

+ Reply to Thread