<2000 [2250] First time in 8th ed. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

[2250] First time in 8th ed.

Hail, fellow Thanes,

I finally bit the bullet and bought the 8th edition book. I'm back in an area of the country where most of my WHFB opponents live, so it's time to dust off the old Dwarfs.

I haven't played much (any) 8th edition yet, and I haven't gotten a feel for the metagame yet, but I think I've got a list put together that still covers all the Dwarf bases and adds additional Magic defense.

Thoughts, comments and criticisms are, of course, always welcome.

Lords
    - Lord (General): Shield, Shieldbearers, R.Fury/R.Might/R.Speed, MR.Steel, R.Warding
    - Runelord: Great Weapon, Shield, R.Stone, MR.Balance/R.Spellbreaking(x2)

Heroes
    - Thane: Battle Standard, MR.Gromril

Core
    - Warriors (x24): Shields, Standard, Musician (Deployed with BSB)
    - Longbeards (x19): G.Weapons, Shields, FC, R.Sanctuary (Deployed with Runelord)
    - Thunderers (x10): Musician

Special
    - Hammerers (x18): Shields, FC, MR.Grugni (Deployed with Lord)
    - Slayers (x10): 1 Giantslayer
    - Cannon: R.Forging
    - Cannon: R.Forging, R.Burning
    - Bolt Thrower: Engineer, R.Penetrating

Rare
    - Organ Gun

The idea is to have the three big infantry blocks move upfield supported on the flanks by the Thunderers and Slayers. The Hammerers would be deployed on the side with the Slayers (protecting them from shooting with their banner). The Warriors would go up the middle and the Longbeards would be supported by the Thunderers on the flank.

The Lord is build with killing large things in mind, as his hits on the tougher opponents are resolved at S10 and nothing hits him at more than S5. The Slayers would ensure that the Hammerers don't get flank-charged and leave the Lord doing nothing.

The four war machines aren't there as much for the damage as to give the impression of a more pressing issue. The more turns my opponent spends trying to get around my infantry, the less he or she will be actually attacking the infantry head-on. Plus, units that get around my infantry frontage would be coming one at a time and, thus, open themselves up to being badly mauled by an artillery barrage in the face.

Last edited by Quick; September 8th, 2010 at 03:03.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds pretty solid but there are a few things that could be changed

Lords
    Lord (General): Shield, Shieldbearers, R.Fury/R.Might/R.Speed, MR.Steel, R.Warding
    looks good but what about MroGromril+RoResistance instead of MroSteel for a rerollable 1+ save
    Runelord: Great Weapon, Shield, R.Stone, MR.Balance/R.Spellbreaking(x2)
    okay but i'd take a runesmith with the spellbraeking instaed as Balance won't do as much in new rules

Heroes
    Thane: Battle Standard, MR.Gromril
    BSBs are a must in new rules but replace MroGromril for RoStone

Core
    - Warriors (x24): Shields, Standard, Musician (Deployed with BS
    - Longbeards (x19): G.Weapons, Shields, FC, R.Sanctuary (Deployed with Runelord)
    - Thunderers (x10): Musician
    looks good love the longbeards these guys always do well in my games

Special
    - Hammerers (x1: Shields, FC, MR.Grugni (Deployed with Lord)
    - Slayers (x10): 1 Giantslayer
    - Cannon: R.Forging
    - Cannon: R.Forging, R.Burning
    - Bolt Thrower: Engineer, R.Penetrating
    all good. consider a grudge thrower with 2 RoPenetrating this killed 12 swordmasters in my last game with no partials it is really very good

Rare
    - Organ Gun
    love it organ guns are amazing

hope this helped

Cheers Stunti

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I have a couple of questions, though. Perhaps my reasoning will better explain some of my choices and/or show that I'm completely mis-interpreting something.

Regarding the Grudge Thrower with R.Pen. I agree, it's an excellent machine. I don't have the model, though. That's also why I have two BfSP tinycannons.

Regarding the R.Steel on the Lord, I figure he's going to be facing the biggest creatures and taking the biggest hits. Hence, against the big (T5+) things, he's hitting at S8 at initiative but his opponent is only hitting back at S5. The M.R.Gromril is nice, but with the standard 3+ Lord-grade armor and the two point improvement that the Shieldbearers give him, he's already at 1+ armor. Since he's never taking a hit harder that S5, he never has to roll more than a3+ for his Armor Save.

Having his Armor Save be re-rollable would be nice, but it would cost points I don't have. Does the Lord really need a Ward Save? I could swap the R.Warding for the R.Resistance.

Regarding the Runelord, why isn't the MR.Balance worth it any more in 8th?

Thanks!

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with the rune lord seeing as you have +2 to dispell anyway for being dwarfs and can have as many scrolls as possible. i don't see the point in spending so many points on a runelord unless you are taking an anvil. with the rune of balance it is much less effective as in the old rules one dice meant a lot more but now it doesn't so much with all the extra dice and at 50pts you have better options. i may not be right its just my opinion.

for the dwarf lord your right- sorry . didn't notice the armour additions for shield bearers

stunti
    Last edited by Stunti; September 13th, 2010 at 13:08.

+ Reply to Thread