<2000 Throne of skulls army help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

Throne of skulls army help

i am thinking about attending the nottingham april 2011 throne of skulls for warhammer. since the points limit is 2000 this means that i am taking my dwarfs, the problem is i do not have a clue what sort of units are good for a balanced dwarf list.
    so far i have got way more losses than wins and this does not bother me but i feel that if i make the effort to go to a tournament then i need to figure out whihc dwarf units are good and which are not so bad.

so far i have though about doing a no war machine list or even no ranged weapons, though i think that this might be a mistake, so far i have this:

rune lord runic armour and talisman, great weapon
    rune smith runic talisman and shield
    thane (BSB runic armour and weapon

20 warrirors full command shields
    20 warriors full command great weapons
    20 longbeards full command runic banner- rune of grungni

15 miners full command and steam drill
    20 iron breakers full command

Thanks in adavance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might want to be a little more specific with the runes... also those longbeards definitely want shields (unsure if you intended to put it on there). Also for a combat army I would go with hammerers over ironbreakers as you really need something that can dish out punishment instead of just take it.
    Dwarfs 24/12/2

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    i am thinking about attending the nottingham april 2011 throne of skulls for warhammer. since the points limit is 2000 this means that i am taking my dwarfs, the problem is i do not have a clue what sort of units are good for a balanced dwarf list.
    so far i have got way more losses than wins and this does not bother me but i feel that if i make the effort to go to a tournament then i need to figure out whihc dwarf units are good and which are not so bad.

so far i have though about doing a no war machine list or even no ranged weapons, though i think that this might be a mistake, so far i have this:

rune lord runic armour and talisman, great weapon
    thane (BSB runic armour and weapon

20 warrirors full command shields
    20 warriors full command great weapons
    20 longbeards full command runic banner- rune of grungni

15 miners full command and steam drill
    20 iron breakers full command

Thanks in adavance.
    I think you are putting a lot of points into anti-magic. I can understand why, but without actual details it is hard to tell exactly what you are doing with them. For example, if you are taking a runelord, there is little point not taking the anvil. Boosts your anti-magic and gives you some good 'spells' from the anvil's runes.

Your core is good, maybe consider adding an extra five warriors/longbeards to each unit to bulk them up.

I don't rate miners amazingly, especially in a big unit. I personally, if I was taking them, use them as war machine hunters. Take the unit down to ten with the champion. Even if they don't kill anything, they will keep the enemy busy for a short while. You can also use the anvil for a magic charge.

One thing I think you need is war machines and missile units. These are the true power of dwarfs. Combat units will do very well, but dwarfs lack the ability to scythe ranks off opponents like a true combat army can and should do. Dwarfs rely on their shooting to weaken the enemy, then engage the weakened units with strong and tough combat units in hand to hand. I think you are handicapping yourself by not taking missile units or war machines.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

silly me i know i forgot something, yeah i was going for mostly anti-magic
    rune lord gets master rune of balance and a rune of spell breaking and the master rune of gromil
    rune smiths get runes of spell breaking
    the longbeards do have shields.
    about the war machines, yes i am aware of how much better we are with them, i think the only reason i was not thinking of taking them is i keep forgetting the rules, in the last two games i had with my dwarfs i forgot to roll the artillary dice when using the grundethrower, instead i was using 2D6.

in my useually 3000 point list i do tend to run a tooled up runelord and dwarf lord as well as two thanes and a rune smith, very good fun but again i was trying to rely more on the rank and file to do the work. i can see that i need to seriously reconsider the list. the miners usually act as bodyguard for a thane who is solely there to add hitting power so i could drop the miners and add hammers as well as iron breakers and take a few cannons...

cheers for the advice!

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Those are decent rune choices for the characters, though the runelord I would consider just a RoStone. The BSB really needs the MRoGromril to protect him, I think so anyhow. I would still consider the anvil for the runelord, it is really the only reason to take him.

With the war machines, write a cheat sheet. These are basically reminders for you to help with your gaming. Just make a note of how to fire each machine, a bullet point for each step. The more you play, the less you'll need them.

Miners as bodyguard? Personally I think that is a waste of points. The only reason to take miners is for their ability to appear on other table edges. Unless you take the RoBrotherhood you are wasting their potential. I would say you are much better off with hammerers. Their stubborn ability gives your force a nice strong anchor to hold and support.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

again sorry i forgot to say, the thane does have the rune of brotherhood and he is just there to give the miners some bulk, i actually take the rune lord for the +2 to dispel and the increase in rune allowance, with the BSB i useually run hime the MRo Valya witch from reading other posts people consider to either be a waste of points or suicide as the BSB as no protection.
    thanks for the advice about the cheat sheet, i really dont play enough i useually can get in one good game a week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest i wouldn't bother putting the bsb in the miners if you are tunnelling as the 12" re roll becomes a bit pointless if you end up on the other side of the board not near enough to your other units. If you raelly want the miners though i'd just take a small unit for warmachine hunting and keep your bsb with the bulk of your army. Also if you're going to take warmachines organ guns are great. Characters wise you don't need 2 runesmiths and a runelord just have a lord and a smith.

+ Reply to Thread