<1000 500 pt friendly vs. Lizardmen - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500 pt friendly vs. Lizardmen

My freind and I are going to play our first warhammer games in a few months when he comes to visit, his lizardmen against my dwarfs. We're going to play a few games of different points values, so this 500 will only be my first list. I'm looking for some suggestions as to changes, as well as things to be prepared for and to watch out for against the lizards. Here we go:

Thane
    Great weapon
    Rune of stone
    74 points

20 dwarf warriors ( thane goes here)
    Full command
    Shields
    205 points

10 quarrelers
    Shields
    Great weapons
    Musician
    Champion
    155 points

Bolt thrower
    Engineer
    Brace of pistols
    65 points

The plan is to have the quarrelers and warriors deployed close together, the quarrelers a but behind, with the bolt thrower off to the side. The ranged attack will thin the ranks as the enemy advances. When they reach my line, the warriors will probably be charged. The quarrelers will then counter-charge, theirs and the thane's great weapons providing some killing power. The engineer is given pistols to stand and shoot is case of a charge, as well as get some additional attacks in combat if he gets into it.

Let me know what you think, thanks for reading!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Hi,

Good news against lizardmen in this case is ;1) he wont have a slann, and 2) his Saurus are the same Initiative as your Dwarfs (I2). The down side it that his Saurus have 2 attacks each, at S4 compared with your S3, and your both T4. You are a higher WS so you hit him on 3s and he hits you on 4s but generaly this doesnt make a masive difference. So your wounding him on 5s, and he's wounding you on 4s. That combined with the extra attacks means in a block on block fight, chances are you would get munched. Suarus do cost more though so it likely you will have more models than him, assuming he goes for a Saurus block. He could also take Spears, so if you can imagen him setting up a block of 18 Saurus 6 wide by 3 deep, he could produce 25 S4 attacks (with unit champion).

The only magic Lore he will be able to take is Heavens unless he takes an item from the BSB i think might allow you to take fire, but i wouldnt expect that so just look up the Heavens Lore to see what he can do. He may be pure dirt and mount him on a stegadon but im not sure he can afford it in the Heros points allocation at 500pts (in fact i know he cannot with only 125pts for heroes to spend).
    The decision is do you go for the anvil like you suggest with your warriors, or bare the brunt and go for GWs so you can hit him at S5. If you do go Anvil i suggest dropping shields on your quarrelers as well as the champion. You could get 2 more guys in that unit for that cost (just about), and the shields would only benifit you with a 5+ against shooting anyway. Keep the musician though.

Unless he is taking a Stegadon im 50/50 on taking a bolt thrower. As much as i love using pistols against people and then getting effectivly 2 attacks for duel wielding, i would look to see if they are points you could better spend elswhere. Again i'm 50/50 on an engineer at this points level as it could get you another dwarf elsewhere, but having an exra guy on your war machine (making it 4 guys) is always useful, and its an improvement to your BS aswell isnt it? I would love for you to take an Organ Gun as this would be the game breaker for you but it would cost you elsewhere in the list, and if you blow up early on then you could strugle. I say Organ Gun only because he may have (and is likely to have) some Skink Skirmishers, if not scouts to try and flank your war machines and units.

Another thing to watch out for will be salamanders. He wont have more than 2 in a unit but he may have 2 individualy and these guys can make a mess of you with thier breath weapon (flame thrower rules i think so not like a dragon). and then once in combat they are not too shabby with 2 WS3 S5 attacks. Dont expect Razadons unless he has a fancy for them as Salamanders are better offensively.

So looking at your list with my suggestions your looking at (off the top of my head as im doing this at work);

Thane = 74pts
    Ro Stone + GW

20 Warriors = 205
    Shield + FC

12 Quarrlers = 161
    GW + Musician

Bolt Thrower = 60
    Engineer

for bang on 500pts.

Now i was a little fuzzy on the cost of an individual Quarreler and Engineer but i think i dragged out the correct points, but pls check it over first if you want to use my varriant of you list.

I think those 2 extra guys with crossbows and GWs with help alot more than shields and a champion as you get 2 extra bolts and an extra attack. Obviously field them 6 wide.

Hope this helps.

-Saltrock-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saltrock36 View Post
    Hi,

Good news against lizardmen in this case is ;1) he wont have a slann, and 2) his Saurus are the same Initiative as your Dwarfs (I2). The down side it that his Saurus have 2 attacks each, at S4 compared with your S3, and your both T4. You are a higher WS so you hit him on 3s and he hits you on 4s but generaly this doesnt make a masive difference. So your wounding him on 5s, and he's wounding you on 4s. That combined with the extra attacks means in a block on block fight, chances are you would get munched. Suarus do cost more though so it likely you will have more models than him, assuming he goes for a Saurus block. He could also take Spears, so if you can imagen him setting up a block of 18 Saurus 6 wide by 3 deep, he could produce 25 S4 attacks (with unit champion).

The only magic Lore he will be able to take is Heavens unless he takes an item from the BSB i think might allow you to take fire, but i wouldnt expect that so just look up the Heavens Lore to see what he can do. He may be pure dirt and mount him on a stegadon but im not sure he can afford it in the Heros points allocation at 500pts (in fact i know he cannot with only 125pts for heroes to spend).
    The decision is do you go for the anvil like you suggest with your warriors, or bare the brunt and go for GWs so you can hit him at S5. If you do go Anvil i suggest dropping shields on your quarrelers as well as the champion. You could get 2 more guys in that unit for that cost (just about), and the shields would only benifit you with a 5+ against shooting anyway. Keep the musician though.

Unless he is taking a Stegadon im 50/50 on taking a bolt thrower. As much as i love using pistols against people and then getting effectivly 2 attacks for duel wielding, i would look to see if they are points you could better spend elswhere. Again i'm 50/50 on an engineer at this points level as it could get you another dwarf elsewhere, but having an exra guy on your war machine (making it 4 guys) is always useful, and its an improvement to your BS aswell isnt it? I would love for you to take an Organ Gun as this would be the game breaker for you but it would cost you elsewhere in the list, and if you blow up early on then you could strugle. I say Organ Gun only because he may have (and is likely to have) some Skink Skirmishers, if not scouts to try and flank your war machines and units.

Another thing to watch out for will be salamanders. He wont have more than 2 in a unit but he may have 2 individualy and these guys can make a mess of you with thier breath weapon (flame thrower rules i think so not like a dragon). and then once in combat they are not too shabby with 2 WS3 S5 attacks. Dont expect Razadons unless he has a fancy for them as Salamanders are better offensively.

So looking at your list with my suggestions your looking at (off the top of my head as im doing this at work);

Thane = 74pts
    Ro Stone + GW

20 Warriors = 205
    Shield + FC

12 Quarrlers = 161
    GW + Musician

Bolt Thrower = 60
    Engineer

for bang on 500pts.

Now i was a little fuzzy on the cost of an individual Quarreler and Engineer but i think i dragged out the correct points, but pls check it over first if you want to use my varriant of you list.

I think those 2 extra guys with crossbows and GWs with help alot more than shields and a champion as you get 2 extra bolts and an extra attack. Obviously field them 6 wide.

Hope this helps.

-Saltrock-
    Thanks for the awesome reply! Rep given!

Anyways, You've pretty much read my mind on the Organ gun option. I was considering one, but the points cost and chance of destruction on turn 1 combined (something that makes the bolt throwers more reliable) made me opt out. The engineer is there for increasing BS as well as to increase numbers, and I agree that the pistol points are better used to beef out the quarrelers.

For the quarrelers I took a champion for a cheaper close combat attack than another model, but didn't take into account that another model would get me an additional shot as well. It makes more sense, as well as dropping the sheilds.

Thanks for the great advice!

+ Reply to Thread