2000 point Stubborn - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 point Stubborn

Comments would be most appreciated. I've learned the value of stubborn units in battles against anything ranging from Brets to VC. I've designed this army around three stubborn units: the Ironbreakers with BSB and Thane, the Hammerers with General and the Slayers with nothing. The Slayers are basically there to hold a flank for three turns or to charge anything with a high toughness.

My battle strategies have thus far been quite simple. I try to hold a line and force the enemy to come at me head-on. In positions where that is impossible (ie open flank) I place one or more stubborn units. I only expect about 2 turns of firing out of my warmachines... long enough to take out chariots and whittle down some ranks on large units. The Slayers who crew the Hewer are quite capable of taking out one or two pegasis riders or the equivalent, so I generally concern myself with protecting my flanks against units large enough to remove my rank bonus and bringing my lads into combat as quickly as possible.

I've met with good success thus far but haven't played chaos yet. I gather that having more shooters is helpful with them. I'd love any advice people have to offer.

Cheers,

Stubborn Army List - 1997 points

Ironbreakers (18 )
    Composition: Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Gromril Armor; Shield

-Thane (Battle Standard Bearer)
    Composition: Gromril Armor; Battle Standard Bearer
    Master Rune of Groth One-Eye

-Thane
    Composition: Gromril Armor
    Master Rune of Swiftness; Rune of Cleaving; Rune of Stone

Hammerers (19#, 463 Pts)
    Composition: Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Heavy Armor
    Rune of Slowness (x1)

-Thane
    Composition: General; Great Weapon; Gromril Armor
    Master Rune of Gromril; Rune of Resistance

Warriors (20#, 205 Pts)
    Composition: Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armor; Shield

Warriors (20#, 205 Pts)
    Composition: Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armor; Shield

Slayers (16#, 194 Pts)
    Composition: Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon;

Thunderers (10#, 140 Pts)
    Composition: Hand Weapon; Dwarf Handgun; Light Armor

Goblin Hewer (10#, 130 Pts)

Cannon
    Composition: Rune of Forging
    Total Cost: 1997

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks good as you said one or two units of tunderers or xbowmen would be good to shoot chaos as they come in to your lines
    auzzie auzzie auzzie oi oi oi

BEER it's whats for dinner

my gyrocopter is better than your gyrocopter

i also play tomb kings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bsb

disregard the above

drop bsb and give ironbreakers rune of courage

or keep it and have 4 stubborn/unbraekable/immune to psycholgy units

i dont like bsb to much he to expensive and can be killed easy in challenges giving opponent free points
    auzzie auzzie auzzie oi oi oi

BEER it's whats for dinner

my gyrocopter is better than your gyrocopter

i also play tomb kings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish the banner made all my units stubborn but I think it only works on the unit using it. I was worried about the BSB being taken out in a challenge too, that's why I have another Thane in that unit with a great armor save and the re-roll. He can take the challenges.

This unit has twice now tied up the largest units in another army (deliberately getting itself flanked) and held them for the entire battle while I set up my own flanks and rear charges. It is an awesome sight to behold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

having 2 caracters in a single unit is risky, and stubborn won<'t stop you from being run down by fear causing units that outnumber.

Also, hammerers aren't too good without he army general, is he with them?

If not, long beards would be a better choice.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep... general is with the Hammers, two thanes in the IronBreakers Unit.

I haven't faced any enemies who have managed to outnumber me with fear-causing units yet. My plan for those armies is to use the fear-causing banner for a large block of troops and to use Slayers.

I realize the risk in putting the two thanes in the IB unit but I really did want to protect the BSB with another thane. Having two stubborn and one unbreakable unit means that I really do have the opportunity to set up flank charges with my other two large blocks of infantry. Almost nothing can stand against that unless they too are stubborn or unbreakable.

I am under the impression that there are armies that this would not work well against. Orks and Goblins, I think are one exception... Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings are other possibilities. But the value of being able to confidently place a unit in front of just about anything and know that it isn't going to run away is very high. Dwarves move so slowly that I have to plan several moves in advance. Knowing that a block of Ironbreakers is going to be right where I left them is very helpful.

+ Reply to Thread