1000pt Dwarf Army-Friendly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000pt Dwarf Army-Friendly

Hi everyone,
    It’s been just about a year since I played Warhammer, but I decided it was about time to get back into it. I will be facing Chaos and Ogres for the most part, so I’m hoping this army will do well against them. From what I remember about the tactics of the Chaos player (unless the way he plays has drastically changed) he will use 1-2 squads of chaos warriors, knights and/or a chariot, and marauders/hounds to fill in the rest of the points, and, of course, a hero or two. As for the Ogre player, I have no idea what he will be using, so that’s up in the air at the moment. Any comments and criticisms are more than welcome. I want to make this the best list possible against not only these two armies, but also any army, so lay it on me!

Heroes
    Thane-117pts
    -Shield
    -HW&HA
    -Rune of Stone
    -Master Rune of Swiftness
    -Rune of Cleaving

Core
    16-Dwarf Warriors-169pts
    -HW&HA
    -Shields
    -Full Command

16-Dwarf Warriors-169pts
    -HW&HA
    -Shields
    -Full Command

15-Longbeards-205
    -HW&HA
    -Shields
    -Full Command
    (Thane will go with this unit)

10-Thunderers-150pts
    -Shields

Special

Bolt Thrower-100
    -Engineer
    -Rune of Penetrating
    -Rune of Seeking
    Bolt Thrower-90
    -Engineer
    -Rune of Penetrating
    -Rune of Burning

-1,000/1,000 pts

Now, I’m not too sure about the Bolt Throwers. I was thinking about swapping them out with a Grudge Thrower with a Rune of Penetrating and a Rune of Accuracy, or swapping them out with a Goblin-Hewer, and then using the rest of the points to bolster a unit, like the Thunderers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I reworked my army list with the input from another forum, but I was hoping to get a second opinion here. Like before, any and all tips, criticisms, etc are more than welcome.

Heroes

Thane-76pts
    -Shield & HA
    -GW
    -Rune of Stone

Core

20-Dwarf Warriors-195pts
    -HW&HA
    -Shields
    -Standard Bearer and Musician

20-Dwarf Warriors-195pts
    -HW&HA
    -Shields

19-Longbeards-243
    -HW&HA
    -Shields
    (Thane will go with this unit)

10-Thunderers-150pts
    -Shields

Special

Bolt Thrower-60
    -Engineer

Bolt Thrower-60
    -Engineer

-979/1,000 pts

I have 21pts left over, but I'm not sure what to do with them, so any ideas would be great.
    Last edited by Drain Bamaged; April 29th, 2006 at 19:33.

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

its a pretty solid list, i like the use of Bolt Throwers, particularly as you will be playing against ogres with all those big targets, and a chaos chariot.

I think what you have is pretty good, but its a shame you have no room for some slayers, having an unbreakable unit is always handy and their slayer special rule would come in handy against the Ogres especially
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elites

Bolt Thrower-60
    -Engineer

Bolt Thrower-60
    -Engineer

Hi, from the information above i gather u r putting 2 engineers with your both throwers. A good idea, but you havnt included the engineers in the heroes list. The 15 pts you have added to the bolt throwers only allows the engineer to be with the bolt thrower. You must also pay the appropiate points for the engineer himself, which i think is around 70 pts
    :wacko:

Overall though a nice strong allround army that should be good. GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stu888
    Elites

Bolt Thrower-60
    -Engineer

Bolt Thrower-60
    -Engineer

Hi, from the information above i gather u r putting 2 engineers with your both throwers. A good idea, but you havnt included the engineers in the heroes list. The 15 pts you have added to the bolt throwers only allows the engineer to be with the bolt thrower. You must also pay the appropiate points for the engineer himself, which i think is around 70 pts
    :wacko:

Overall though a nice strong allround army that should be good. GL
    I don't mean to be rude or anything, but I believe you are wrong. The Engineer in the new Dwarf Army Book is considered as a unit leader/veteran, and not a Hero. What was known as an Engineer in the old Dwarf Army Book is now called a Master Engineer, and you do not have to pay any points for him to join a War Machine.

Thanks for the comments, though. I'm still working on the rough edges with this army and hopefully I will have a nice, well-balanced list to use against any opponents in the near future.

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

quite right, engineers are like unit champions and Master engineers are the hero choice

one small thing, in the second list you called the special units 'elites'- dont do that, i hate 40k terminology applied to fantasy lists (like calling the army book the codex) a small thing but what can i say im pedantic!
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, it's an old habit, but I fixed it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

288 (x6)

Here's a Q though!

Since you can take two bolt throwers and only occupy one slot does that mean you can take two Engneers to go with them or just one who has to go with one of the two machines... I would love to take two bolt throwers with an engineer each and only occupy a single slot...

Well can I?:yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zarahemna
    Since you can take two bolt throwers and only occupy one slot does that mean you can take two Engneers to go with them or just one who has to go with one of the two machines... I would love to take two bolt throwers with an engineer each and only occupy a single slot...

Well can I?:yes:
    Mm... That's a good question. The way I've always understood that rule is that you may take 2 Bolt Throwers as a single Special choice, but they act as independent units. So, as far as I see it, you can take an Engineer with both. But, now that you've asked I'm not 100% sure, so maybe someone else can clarify better than I can. :unsure:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Yes that is correct. You can take 2 BTs onto the battlefield and it would still only count as 1 special choice.
    About the list, I think its pretty solid but I like your first Thane more though. With the second dude he is going to strike last and only have a +4 AS...very risky if you ask me.
    I've been wondering what you could drop to make room for the points but it looks pretty complete. An idea could be, dropping a small amount of dwarves in one of the warrior units and use them as flank protecters/holding up other units/counter-charge etc.
    Last edited by King Alriks Bodyguard; May 3rd, 2006 at 09:35.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast