dwarf friendly 2000pt - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    93 (x1)

dwarf friendly 2000pt

here we go!

Dwarf

Lords & Heroes
    Lord (general) w/ Great Weapon w/ Runes of Striking, Speed and Master Rune of Skalf Blackhammer, Shield, Oath stone, Gromril Armour w/ Runes of Stone and Preservation
    294 pts

Thane w/ Army Battle Standard w/ Strollaz’s Rune
    145 pts

Runesmith w/ Great Weapon, Gromril Armour w/ Master Rune of Gromril
    104 pts

Master Engineer w/ Pistol, Great Weapon
    79 pts

Core
    Warrior Squad
    16 x Warriors w/ Shields including a Musician, a Standard and a Veteran
    169 pts

Longbeard Squad
    16 x Longbeards w/ Shields, Great Weapons including a Musician, a Standard w/ Runes of Battle and Stoicism and a Veteran
    299 pts

Thunderer Squad
    16 x Thunderers w/ Shields
    240 pts

Special
    Grudge Thrower w/ Runes of Reloading, Penetrating and Accuracy
    140 pts

Slayer Squad
    10 x Slayers
    110 pts

2 x Bolt Throwers
    90 pts

Rare
    Organ Gun
    120 pts

Dogs Of War
    Heavy Cavalry
    8 x Knights w/Barding including a Musician, a Standard and a Champion
    213 pts

Total = 1998 pts

Comments please.

p.s. do you need to have permisiion to use dogs of war in an aarmy list.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x2)

I can tell you're a 40K player here with the 'squads'. I think that you lord is maxed out too much on runes and stuff and he could be avoided by a wily opponent. You also have many heroes and maybe should drop 1 or 2. The grudge thrower is quite unreliable and you have too many runes on it. And you don't have enough blocks of warriors (only 3). I would suggest just taking less heroes and less runes and spend the extra pts on another unit of warriors. I like the DOW heavy cavalry idea though, don't see that every day.
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

93 (x1)

hey you don't expect a dwarf army to suddenly appear with a unit of heavy cavalry

Also I had a grudge thrower take out an entire skaven army in turn one. Fastest victory ever for me. Made 10 blocks of skaven flee straight off the board. including general by shooting the end block. Shame though, didn't get to use my organ gun or slayers on them. Complete masacure in game turns though
    Last edited by zsssmart; April 27th, 2006 at 10:38.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by zsssmart
    hey you don't expect a dwarf army to suddenly appear with a unit of heavy cavalry

Also I had a grudge thrower take out an entire skaven army in turn one. Fastest victory ever for me. Made 10 blocks of skaven flee straight off the board. including general by shooting the end block. Shame though, didn't get to use my organ gun or slayers on them. Complete masacure in game turns though
    Yeah but thats not going to happen very often, you can't base it on one good performance, there will be days when it does sod all.

In response to your question no you don't need your opponents permission to play dogs of war.

I thought i'd let you know that if you misfire with your organ gun, you will roll a 1 or a 2 on the misfire chart...don't say i didn't warn you

Ciao

Stonehambey

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by zsssmart
    Well done :yes:, but like stonehambey said, this won't happen every day. In a standard battle I actually don't think this grudge thrower will regain it's point cost easily - I'd even out the runes more. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lords & Heroes
    Lord (general) w/ Great Weapon w/ Runes of Striking, Speed and Master Rune of Skalf Blackhammer, Shield, Oath stone, Gromril Armour w/ Runes of Stone and Preservation
    294 pts

Thane w/ Army Battle Standard w/ Strollaz’s Rune
    145 pts

Runesmith w/ Great Weapon, Gromril Armour w/ Master Rune of Gromril
    104 pts

Master Engineer w/ Pistol, Great Weapon
    79 pts

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else, and say you're putting way too many points into your heroes/lords. Remember, battles are not won by Heroes alone, but by the common soldier. Personally, I think the Master Engineer is a waste of points, even though he does have some nifty special rules.

Core
    Warrior Squad
    16 x Warriors w/ Shields including a Musician, a Standard and a Veteran
    169 pts

Longbeard Squad
    16 x Longbeards w/ Shields, Great Weapons including a Musician, a Standard w/ Runes of Battle and Stoicism and a Veteran
    299 pts

Thunderer Squad
    16 x Thunderers w/ Shields
    240 pts

As stated by other people, you need more warm bodies in your army. Dwarf Warriors are your best friends. Point for point they are some of the best Core units out there. Take more units of warriors with hand weapons and shields.

16 Thunderers is a tad much for one unit. I'd say 10-12 and you're good.

Longbeards are a great Core unit. Their specials rules will help out tremendously late in the game (I bet that Skaven player wishes he had something equivalent to Longbeards, huh?)

Special
    Grudge Thrower w/ Runes of Reloading, Penetrating and Accuracy
    140 pts

Slayer Squad
    10 x Slayers
    110 pts

2 x Bolt Throwers
    90 pts

Personally, I don't trust war machines at all and think that they are a potential waste of points (blasphemy, I know.) Though, a Grudge Thrower does have its uses. If you know your opponent will field units to act as screens (cheap, sometimes large units that your opponent will stick in front of his/her army) for your shooting, then a Grudge Thrower is the key to victory as they will be able to shoot right over those screens.

However, I do like Bolt Throwers. They're cheap, and rather effective against armies with large blocks of troops. But, if you know you'll be facing an army with multiple small units (like a cavalry based army), then I'd say drop them and use the points elsewhere.

Rare
    Organ Gun
    120 pts

Dogs Of War
    Heavy Cavalry
    8 x Knights w/Barding including a Musician, a Standard and a Champion
    213 pts

No complaints here. The Organ Gun is rather effective against skirmishing units and lightly armored units.

I like the use of the Cavalry, too. This will throw off most players’ plans, and could possibly win the battle for you before it even starts. Think about it, most people won't plan for a cavalry until it's on the board and by that point it will be too late. The only thing I’d be worried about is having them turned into pincushions. If you were going against an army with a good amount of firepower then I’d rethink them, because I can guarantee that they will be shot at before anything else. Other than that you get a big thumbs up here.

These are just my opinions, and you can take them as you will, but overall I think you have a good start to an army, but you need to tweak here and there to make it a great army. Good luck, and happy gaming.

-DB
    Last edited by Drain Bamaged; April 30th, 2006 at 00:28.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I don't think you're spending too many points on characters at all. 600-700 is perfectly acceptable for 2k points

Also i don't think you should drop the champion in your units as DB suggested, i think full command is well worth paying the extra points for

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehambey

Also i don't think you should drop the champion in your units as DB suggested, i think full command is well worth paying the extra points for

Ciao

Stonehambey
    I knew someone would call me out on that. :lol: Like I said, it's just my opinion. I'd rather spend the extra 10 or so points else where, but that's just me.

-DB

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x2)

I think that you should always spend your pts on a command. I know that you probably don't, but the veteran fights well, and 10pts does not really go very far elsewhere. It is worth the pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I'm not saying that a Veteran is not handy at times. What I'm saying is that by fielding a Veteran in, say, 4 units is 40pts gone for 1 additional attack in each unit when you could use those additional 40pts for a rune, adding another rank to a unit, and so on. But, as I said before, it's my personal opinion, and so I have decided to edit my original post to reflect that by removing the section that states "Drop the Veteran, he is a waste of points". I wasn't trying to offend anyone, or say that they are in the wrong by taking a Veteran, what I was stating is that I personally don't like them, but I should have worded it differently.

-DB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast