Dwarf 2000 Pts Newbie List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dwarf 2000 Pts Newbie List

This is my first real go at a solid dwarf list, I've pondered over the army many a time but after reading a good few helpful articles and advice (much of it from on here) I sat down to try hammer out a proper list to start collecting to.

So here it goes:

Characters:

Dwarf Lord - Shieldbreakers, Rune of Stone, Great Weapon.
    181 Pts

Thane - BSB, Maser Rune of Gromril, Rune of Striking
    125 Pts

Runesmith - 3 Spellbreaker Runes, Great Weapon, Shield
    151 Pts

Core:

19 Longbeards - Shields, Full Command, Rune of Courage
    283 Pts

20 Warriors - Shields, Full Command
    205 Pts

19 Warriors - Shields, Full Command

10 Thunderers
    140 Pts

Special:

18 Hammerers - Shields, Full Command
    264 Points

15 Slayers - 3 Giant Slayers
    210 Pts

Cannon - Rune of Forging

Rare:

Organ Gun

Total: 2000 Pts

I tried to go for a good solid ammount of combat troops with a half decent fire base to back them up. A huge gun line isn't really my style but I wouldn't mind trying to fit in a Bolt Thrower or Grudge Thrower, might add them in for a 2250 list. I'm not exactly sure how to configure the Slayers, but 15 seemed like a decent number, I wasn't sure how many Giant Slayers would work well (if any) but I thought 3 would add some good punch to the unit. I nearly dropped 1 for a standard bearer but I thought overall kills count more with slayers then combat rez. I couldn't decide whether or not to give a unit of Warriors Great Weapons, but I opted shields simply because they are cheaper and seem to keep with the idea of lots of hard blocks of infantry.

I play more 40k then Fantasy but with this army I'd like to get into Fantasy properlly. My other army is Chaos and I've never had too much success with it, too many "all eggs in one basket troops", and they seem to be like Marines in 40k where everyone knows your army better then you do. Dwarfs seem like an awesome army to collect, I love the character and overall feel of them and they seem much more versatile and better against a variety of opponents.

Last edited by lankycheese; January 31st, 2007 at 09:19.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

This looks like an excellent list

There are things I would change but that only reflects on me as a player rather than anything wrong with this list. Good luck!

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

Greetings oh cheese of lankyness pull up an ale and lets have a looky at this list...

Overall it’s a damn nice list. There are of course a few things I would alter myself but that’s due to my play style....

However you may be happy to know that giant slayers may in fact be standard bearers and musicians inside slayer units. a very effective and handy option

You might want to look at expanding your warrior units in the future however. 25 strong is the optimal number at the moment but 20 will perform just as well for 2 or so turns of combat.

Overall a great starting list :yes:

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks fellas, I look forward to getting it together. I got a lot of ideas to really help round off the list from this forum so cheers for that.

And good point about the warriors, I think I'll aim for this size for now but definatly put them to 25 man in bigger games. I've pondered dropping the Lord for more points but I just love the idea of a big dwarf king hacking away on a giant shield just too awesome to pass up. In more serious games I'll probably drop to 2 characters and increase the warriors size.

Thanks again, and good gaming.

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehambey View Post
    This looks like an excellent list

There are things I would change but that only reflects on me as a player rather than anything wrong with this list.
    As mentioned before, this is a powerful and solid list, and changes reflect personal preference rather than effectiveness. However, I'm gonna go ahead and mention some personal preferences, and you can take them as you will.

As you play dwarves, you may find yourself bored during the movement phase. To spice this up, I like to add a gyrocopter. It's fun for assaulting skirmishers, fast cav, stray characters, and war machines. It can also be used for march blocking, and the steam gun is fun on low T enemies. If you don't want to drop anything to get it, you might consider its inclusion as you expand your army.

If you plan on dropping a character for serious games, I'd probably upgrade the Runesmith to a Lord and drop your shieldbearer lord. You still get the magic items to dispel and be fairly resistant to close combat, and you don't give up magic defense.

Koosh
    Last edited by kooshlord; February 1st, 2007 at 19:35.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

451 (x8)

If you plan on dropping a character for serious games, I'd probably upgrade the Runesmith to a Lord and drop your shieldbearer lord. You still get the magic items to dispel and be fairly resistant to close combat, and you don't give up magic defense.
    Hmm I’d have to disagree with this. More often than not a runelord tends to be a waste of points when 2 runesmiths can do the same job. The runelord is more expensive than the lord and packs about the same combat power of a thane. For the same price you could get 2 runesmiths with full kit, which together will perform just as well if not better.

The runelord is really only good for the anvil if you want to bring it. Otherwise he just lacks anything special :hmm:

----

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Arklite View Post
    Hmm I’d have to disagree with this. More often than not a runelord tends to be a waste of points when 2 runesmiths can do the same job. The runelord is more expensive than the lord and packs about the same combat power of a thane. For the same price you could get 2 runesmiths with full kit, which together will perform just as well if not better.

The runelord is really only good for the anvil if you want to bring it. Otherwise he just lacks anything special :hmm:
    good point. Do you think 2 runesmiths would be necessary for the army? or could he just drop the Lord altogether for more dwarves and maybe some war machine goodies?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

451 (x8)

Well in a serious 2000 point list i go for nothing more than a BSB thane and a runie with 2 dispel runes. Its a matter of taste really. I like to have more points spent on the army than on the characters (though i am running a dwarf lord as well at the moment.)

----

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After seeing all of your positive reception of this list cheese, i must admit i am a little scared for my poor Orc Boyz.

'Opefully Gork is ina gud mood on da day ov ba'tle

or is it a bad mood i want him in? ohh forget it, just bring ya stumpy boyz along for a good choppin'

Inquisitorial Aspirant librisrouge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

The only opinion I'd have is that A)Dwarves are slow, you gun line is small, and C) your enemy probably won't come to you. Personally, (I can't stress this enough) I would ditch the Slayers or Hammerers for more artillery or Quarellers/Thunderers.

Wood Elves, other Dwarves, Empire, High Elves, Gobbo's, and some other armies are going to have all the time in the world to whittle you down before actually facing you in melee. Besides outgunning them (making them come to you) I like the Anvil of Doom. The Rune of Oath and Honor can make you get to them faster.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast