Starting out Dwarves... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Koosh, any advice?

Koosh, read the last post and gimme' some advice please.

Last edited by TolkeinElf; April 15th, 2007 at 22:36.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh and next on my list is gonna' be 3 cannon and an organ gun to get me up to 1000 points...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

You will not fare very well with this list at 500 points. It wont deal enough damage before the enemy reaches you. The thunderers in small units just cant hold up in melee against much, Dwarfs or not.

I played quite a few succesful games at 500 points with Dwarfs (the real way of spelling the word, Tolkien just liked to be different ^_^). I used mush of what you will want in the end, so my list might be useful to you. I dont have my book handy, but the basics were:

Thane (minimise the cost. He is helpful, but wont win the battle at 500pts. I think the only rune I gave him was the +1 sv bonus on his gromril armour and shield)

15 warriors with shields (there isnt much you need greatweapons for at 500 pts. A block of survivable trrops however is a must. Hence, not two Thunderer units. Also note, the thane went into this unit, making 16 - 4 full ranks last edition. You might cut one for 3 new ranks with the thane.)

10 Thunderers

1 Organ Gun

Like I said, I dont have my book handy, so Im not sure my numbers and points are perfect, and this was last edition last time I played 500 points. At 500 points you need a unit with staying power, and the ability to deal damage at a range. Most enemy units are 10-15 men. An Organ Gun makes short work of most of these. The Thunderers can clean them up. Whatever actually reaches your warriors will be no match for Dwarf warriors with a 3+ save and a Thane.

Try it out. The only thing I add to the models you want at 1k points is the warriors. And trust me, you will want at least one box of them in the long run. You might even have them from the new base boxed set.

Good Luck with the little guys. They are a very rewarding army.

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

I agree with ND above, two small units of thunderers will have a hard time if anything makes it to their lines. Also, you have a max 24" range, and can't move and fire. Enemies with 30" ranges or greater have no incentive to close with you, they'll just sit back and whittle you down.

I started with a more gunline dwarf army, and I got bored of it very quickly. I wouldn't spend too many dollars investing in a gunline. It doesn't move, it doesn't cast spells, it just shoots. Means most of the game you'll be just sitting around, it gets old. You can win with it, especially if your opponent doesn't screen their troops, but it just isn't fun for very long.

units in 7th edition must be fielded 5 wide to get a rank bonus, I assume your thunderers are 2x6. this means you'll have +1 for a standard, +1 for a rank, and whatever kills you can inflict in CC. A big unit of goblins would be a real threat, cause you'll have trouble doing enough damage to panic them, and they'll probably beat you on static CR (3 ranks, standard, outnumber).

Hope this helps!
    -Koosh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm going to the local store tommorow and I've added a unit of longbeards and tweaked the chracters a bit... Any advice/changes?

These are all the models I have, so the only changes would be equipment, etc...

1050 Dwarf Army List

Thane
    Rune of Stone, Rune of Cleaving.

Battle Standard Bearer
    Master Rune of Gromril.

Dragon Slayer
    Master Rune of Swiftness, Rune of Cleaving.

13 Longbeards w/ Command
    Shields. Magic standard w/ Rune of Stoicism

14 Warriors w/ Command
    Shields.

10 Thunderers w/ Command
    Shields.

8 Miners w/ Command
    Blasting charges.

Canon
    Rune of Forging

Well, I'm going to the local store tommorow and I've added a unit of longbeards and tweaked the chracters a bit... Any advice/changes?

These are all the models I have, so the only changes would be equipment, etc...
    Last edited by TolkeinElf; April 15th, 2007 at 22:36.
    Recovering High Elf player.

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by TolkeinElf View Post
    Thane
    Rune of Stone, Rune of Cleaving.

Battle Standard Bearer
    Master Rune of Gromril.

Dragon Slayer
    Master Rune of Swiftness, Rune of Cleaving.

13 Longbeards w/ Command
    Shields. Magic standard w/ Rune of Stoicism

14 Warriors w/ Command
    Shields.

10 Thunderers w/ Command
    Shields.

8 Miners w/ Command
    Blasting charges.

Canon
    Rune of Forging
    Good: BSB, Warriors (assuming a character joins them for 15 strong), Cannon.

Suggestions:
    I'd drop the extra stuff from the slayer, and give more runes to the thane/BSB. The thane wants a shield, and a rune of fury if you can get it. Then the slayer can just run around being expendable. The BSB wouldn't mind some weapon runes either.

The longbeards could get a rune of battle, and if the BSB is in the unit, you get +3 CR just for bannery things!

I'd drop the banner from the miners, they are too small to survive a big charge, and they'll just award VP for the banner in CC. I think you'd be fine with 5 un-upgraded miners.

The thunderers probably don't need command at all; if your opponents are willing to ignore the command models I wouldn't pay for them.

If you can borrow a few dwarves for even units of 20 (once your characters are in them) that'd be great.

I think the list is going to have trouble, basically you don't have enough dwarves, and too many special things. Priorities for future expansion: get both CC units of dwarves up to 20 or 25, and get an organ gun.

Hope it helps! Good luck tonight!
    -Koosh

+ Reply to Thread