Building a 2000 Point Dwarf Army, advice requested - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Inquisitorial Aspirant librisrouge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Building a 2000 Point Dwarf Army, advice requested

I just started getting into fantasy (40k Vet) and I decided on Dwarves as my starting army. I trying to come up with 2000 point list to aim for until I just start collecting. This is what I'm wanting so far.

Dwarf Lord - Great Weapon, Armor: Rune of Gromril
    Runesmith - Rune of Balance, Rune of Spellbreaking, Shield
    Master Engineer - Pistol and Rune of Stone

20 Dwarf Warriors - Great Weapons, Full Command
    20 Longbeards x2 - Shields, Full Command
    10 Thunderers x2 - Shields

Cannon - Rune of Forging
    Cannon - Rune of Forging, Rune of Burning
    Organ Gun

This leaves about 170 points left that I don't know how I want to spend. Basically, I'm looking for recommendations. Keep in mind that I'm not against Dogs of War (seriously considering heavy calvary) or a second organ gun (I love those things)

Last edited by librisrouge; April 12th, 2007 at 06:08.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about dropping one of the Longbeards for a unit of Ironbreakers? It's 25 more points and you got another special slot anyways so... Now since this will be leaving you with another 140 (or so) points you can get yourself some more shooting. I don't recommend it though cause i usually play in battlefields with lots of terrain pieces which makes it difficult to put so much shooting in use, so it depends on your friends playing "style" a bit. A Gyrocopter could be perfect solution though as it doesnt need room to deploy and LOS wont bother you and ofc it's the only thing in the army with a movement value > 3

Other than that the armylist is pretty much solid. If you dont wont the xtra unit with 140 points go for a Thane BSB and/or some beefing on your units standards and/or Dwarf Lord. Last thing, drop the Master Rune of Gromril, use shieldbearers and a rune of stone. It's 5 more points total and you get the same Armor Save +2 attacks of the bearers.
    Last edited by Forin; April 12th, 2007 at 14:47.
    "Farewell friend, for I was a thousand times more evil than though..." -=Michael Moorcock "Stormbringer"=-

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Threat Analysis: your characters are vulnerable to killing blow, why not put your lord on shieldbearers. Then he becomes a unit strength 3 model (check the shieldbearer rules) and thus immune to killing blow (check the killing blow rules).

You are vulnerable to fear, especially outnumbering fear-causing units. Banners or hammerers can help with this.

You are a little weak against ranged attacks. IE your cannons are the only things with better than a 24" range. Some enemies may be tempted to sit back and snipe at your cannon crew and avoid your other ranged and CC troops. WE and Empire especially come to mind.

I think you have too many points in longbeards, you'd be better off diversifying to hammerers or ironbreakers. Or just more warriors. Keep in mind that you can convert hammerers from normal warriors by simply replacing great axes with hammer tops.

Hope it helps!
    -Koosh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm really considering the shieldbearers and rune of stone. Hammerers look nice and I've considered them. I really like the Longbeards they're there to eliminate the BSB Thane (not the biggest fane w/o runic standard) Gyocopter would be fantastic, but what are you guy's opinions on Dogs of War?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally don't like the idea of mercs (Dwarfs wouldn't share their gold with anyone! ) and your Rare units are a lot better than just "playable". But that's just me. Anyway, if you are to field some mercs one of the best choices would be Ogres of some kind, that's the thing most dwarfs with mercs tend to use. Not only they are a strong unit to fight but the "combo" of lots of shooting thinning the enemy lines and a solid Fear Causing Ogre unit winning and outnumbering can get very effective. Not to mention their 6 movement value which gives your army maneuverability beyond any dwarfs wildest dreams
    "Farewell friend, for I was a thousand times more evil than though..." -=Michael Moorcock "Stormbringer"=-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I decided to go with the Gyrocopter and a Lord with Shieldbearers, Rune of Stone, Rune of Resistance (re-roll armor), and Great Weapon. Thanks for the advice, but I just like the Longbeards too much (kinda like a BSB without paying for one model.)

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by librisrouge View Post
    I just like the Longbeards too much (kinda like a BSB without paying for one model.)
    Just want to make sure you are clear on the distinction between longbeards and the BSB.

Longbeards let you reroll panic tests (and are immune to panic themselves). A BSB lets you reroll break tests. Longbeards morale ability is useful outside of CC, the BSB is useful to those in CC.

Both the longbeards and the BSB can take banner runes. If this is all you'd field a BSB for, then the longbeards are an acceptable substitute for low point banners.

-Koosh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For fear causing enemies like Koosh said, give your longbeards a banner with rune of battle and rune of stoicisim..

double unit strength (so you outnumber giving you plus one combat res) AND another plus one combat res...

that's two for the magic banner, one just for having a banner, three for ranks...

you're at CR 6 before your longbeards even start to destroy the enemy. Stick a BSB in the unit and you're at CR 7!!!!

You can usually expect to kill at least 2 enemy models with that unit per round, so that's CR 9 - enough to break most units you come up against in one round of combat....

Personally I'd drop a canon, downgrade one longbeard unit to warriors, change one thunderers unit to quarellers and use all the extra points to make my CC units larger.
    Last edited by TolkeinElf; April 17th, 2007 at 19:09.
    Recovering High Elf player.

+ Reply to Thread