Questions for a new Dwarf Thane - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions for a new Dwarf Thane

Hey guys, I've recently decided to start a Dwarf army and basically I've got a few questions for you all. By the way, I've only ever done one army ever before, the Ogre Kingdoms, which is part of the reason why I decided to take up the Dwarfen hammer, as it's quite different on the battlefield. ecause of this I don't have much experience with artillery or even armour!

My firt question is actually about the armour. I've heard on these forums that Ironbreakers have as standard 2+ armour save, but from what I can see in the book, they have gromril armour for 4+ and a shield which boosts it to 3+. I've also seen that dwarf warriors can have 3+, but from what I can see, to do this they would need heavy armour and shield, giving them 4+. This is assuming that shields only give a single point of armour, as the only way armoured it from what I can see is if they give 2 points of armour.

Also, I'm not quite sure about how Rune magic works. In order to have Rune weapons/armour/artillery/talismans/penguins/etc, do I need to field a Runesmith? If not, what do Runesmiths actually do in battle besides from bring dispel dice?

I've seen on these forums people that say they have eg. 4 units of longbeards and 1 warriors. But I thought that you had to have more units of warriors than longbeards. Could somebody explain that please?

Though at the moment I'm not planning on using them, where can I find the stats for the Quarrelers crossbows?

Are the rules for bringing on Miners the same for Gorgers? From what I can see they are.

Aside from questions abour the actual rules I would like to know a few things about the effectiveness of certain units.

A friend fom my local GW (a high elf player) told me that the Dwarf's best artillery was the bolt thrower and that the elves was better because it has multi shot. Is that true? Because I was planning on not bringing any and focusing my artillery on Cannons.

I was planning on bringing Ironbreakers and Hammerers as well. I heard that there was a Rune which gives the Hammerers a 12" charge range, but I couldn't find it in the book. Is it actually a real Rune and if so, what is it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

My firt question is actually about the armour. I've heard on these forums that Ironbreakers have as standard 2+ armour save, but from what I can see in the book, they have gromril armour for 4+ and a shield which boosts it to 3+. I've also seen that dwarf warriors can have 3+, but from what I can see, to do this they would need heavy armour and shield, giving them 4+. This is assuming that shields only give a single point of armour, as the only way armoured it from what I can see is if they give 2 points of armour.
    if equipped with a hand weapon and shield you receive a further +1 when engaging enemy to the front. the parry bonus.

page 56 of the rules book under hand weapon and shield

Also, I'm not quite sure about how Rune magic works. In order to have Rune weapons/armour/artillery/talismans/penguins/etc, do I need to field a Runesmith? If not, what do Runesmiths actually do in battle besides from bring dispel dice?
    runes are essentially magic items and as such not magic. The exceptions to normal magic item rules are found on page 43 of the dwarf army book. rune smiths are used for magic defence. because we don't get mages to counter enemy magic we depend on rune smiths who have access to our anti magic talisman runes.

I've seen on these forums people that say they have eg. 4 units of longbeards and 1 warriors. But I thought that you had to have more units of warriors than longbeards. Could somebody explain that please?
    it can be done if you use bugman in your army for an extra unit of rangers. When longbeards get given the ranger upgrade they no longer count as longbeards in regards to the longbeard/warrior limit. You also get an extra unit if you have a dwarf lord leading the army. So 1 due to warriors, 2 due to being rangers and having bugman, 1 thanks to the dwarf lord. Seriously however this would make a rather poor army and isn’t a good idea

Though at the moment I'm not planning on using them, where can I find the stats for the Quarrelers crossbows?
    Quarrellers use the same crossbows as everyone else found on page 57 of the rules book.

Are the rules for bringing on Miners the same for Gorgers? From what I can see they are.
    the miners underground advance is very much like the gorgers version. you will have to double-check the wording in both army books to see if there are any differences.
    A friend fom my local GW (a high elf player) told me that the Dwarf's best artillery was the bolt thrower and that the elves was better because it has multi shot. Is that true? Because I was planning on not bringing any and focusing my artillery on Cannons.
    typical elves, ignore them. dwarf artillery is the best in the game I’ll have you know . the bolt thrower is probably about 3rd in line for our best war machine, after the organ gun and the grudge thrower with a rune of accuracy. Elves will always claim superiority but believe me, the repeater bolt thrower is NOTHING compared to a dwarf bolt thrower with an engineer and rune of penetrating, not to mention ours are cheaper even when upgraded with runes.

I was planning on bringing Ironbreakers and Hammerers as well. I heard that there was a Rune which gives the Hammerers a 12" charge range, but I couldn't find it in the book. Is it actually a real Rune and if so, what is it?
    its one of the anvil of dooms powers.

best thing to do is get the army book and have a read start to finish and over again. there is a lot of stuff you won't get from rumour and hearsay.

good luck in your dwarfy exploits, Arklite.

:C

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, that was really informative, helped a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Anakha View Post
    Ha! I'm a High Elf player and I'm happy to admit that the dwarf bolt thrower is far better. The High Elf one is slightly more versatile than an dwarf bolt thrower without upgrades due to the multishot, but the dwarf one is far cheaper and is customisable with some pretty effective runes. Your friend is a bit too biased.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much is the elf one? (I know you're not allowed to say exactly so in comparison to the dwarf one.) Is the bolt thrower worth going for then, to support cannon?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

The bolt thrower is the middle ground weapon of the dwarf army as far as war machines go. The jack of all trades if you will. grudge throwers are better at killing multiple models at once for example thanks to their template, but they are vulnerable to misfire and can be quite inaccurate. Cannons are the opposite, very precise assuming you can guess but they don't have the same punch as a grudge thrower.

Sort of a hammer vs. scalpel sort of thing. Grudge throwers crush while cannons cut (rather accurately)

The bolt thrower is pretty good in both these roles being cheap thanks to having 2 per option and being a fairly reliable war machine you can target pretty much anything with fair success and the right runes.

Might I suggest you follow the links in my signature to the dwarf articles I’ve written in the past? They tend to contain a much more thought out brief on most things. the first (art of dawi) is tactics while the second is an analysis of the units in the dwarf army.

----

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

How much is the elf one? (I know you're not allowed to say exactly so in comparison to the dwarf one.) Is the bolt thrower worth going for then, to support cannon?
    I can't remember exactly how many points the dwarf one is, but the high elf one is ooo...around 30points more? I think anyway. I dont actually have the dwarf book.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It varys much on what army you're facing, but I includa a single bolt thrower in every army I field, its just too useful. against goblins + skaven - flame cannon- bolt thrower, against heavy cav armies - organ gun bolt thrower, etc. I usually have 1 cannon on top of this in a 2000.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam / I'll either find a way or make one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice one guys, this is helping loads. @ Arklite - I read those two articles and I've just got to say wow. I've got another question about one ofthe Runes, the Master Rune of Kragg the Grim. From what I can see, it has no actual advantages other than the weapon becoming magical. So it seems like a pretty useless Rune, especially considering it's a Master Rune. Does it actually have any advantages worth the points?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

451 (x8)

Remember that you are able to put further runes on a great weapon with the master rune of kragg the grim. for example, a great weapon with kragg the grim and a rune of cleaving would make you S7. with a rune of fury you get an extra attack as well as the strength boost from the great weapon.

my personal favourite is kragg the grim + rune of snorri + rune of fury. 5 attacks hitting on 2's at great weapon strength... yes please ^_^

----

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast