How regularly do you use slayers? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How often do you use slayers

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • I never go to war without them!

12 32.43%
  • Fairly Regularly

7 18.92%
  • Not often

9 24.32%
  • Never! Unarmoured Lunatics!

9 24.32%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How regularly do you use slayers?

In conversation with Kristian over in the dwarven army lists section talking over his list I ended up having a wee chat to him about how his slayers tended to do in an army, and realised I have never used our deathwish bound flame haired brethren in an army, always prefering to spend the points on other cc such as hammerers or ironbreakers, or on more quarellers or thunderers in a defensive army.

That got me on to wondering, how often do the rest of you tend to use slayers in your army?

How do you tend to find yourself using them, what sort of sized units, as I've never used them I am fairly oblivious to their tactical use?

And finally how much success do you tend to find you have with them, do they do the job you assign them to or die horribly under hails of missile fire?

The last thing I could find that was slayer related was a while back so thought it warranted a new post.

Personally I have always left Slayers out, usually in favour of more heavily armoured units often hammerers, I always view dwarves as an indomitable wall of armour, and I guess their vulnerability in this sense has always put me off, however after talking to Kristian I was pondering trying them out when i start battling again.

Last edited by Nachtjager; November 28th, 2007 at 16:05.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam / I'll either find a way or make one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

I love slayers, and will always take a unit of them, although i think that for the points there are probably more arguements against taking other special choices instead- i mostly like the models and the fluff!

I have found that keeping them close to the runic standard that gives a ward save against missile attacks (i forget which rune it is now) does wonders for their durability on the long march towards the enemy- and the resultant combination of a slayer unit working in tandem with an elite infantry choice carrying said standard (invariably Ironbreakers in my army) is pretty tasty- if you can get them into CC the slayer axes rule combined with their stat line makes them beasts in hand to hand
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, the Rune of Grungri I think it's called? Anyway, the 5+ keeps them alive, even against triggerhappy helblasters. What I like about them is that they can afford to lose a lot and still justify their point cost in stalling a moderate dangerous unit, so that said unit doesn't try a flank attack. But I guess they work good in my army, which usually is in CC in the second round

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

I bring a unit every game, and bring a lone slayer character every game as well. Both do what they need to do. If your shooting my slayers they get the 5+ ward from the Grungi and your not shooting my ironbreakers or hammers, the lone slayer guard the warmachines well. I play a mostly infantry army, with 2 bolt throwers.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

personally I only have my lone dragon slayer, but damn has he got himself a reputation. I will admit I often tool this little guy depending on who I’m fighting but it’s always worth it. Besides... when the local wood elf player uses 2 treemen how could you NOT give him a master rune of smiting and a rune of fire (Every wound becomes d6 wounds and they are burning attacks, ergo d6X2 wounds per successful wound). I need to get my hands on a unit of slayers, only unit in the dwarf army i don't have ^_^

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually didn't know that the lone slayer was that widespread in use. I've used him twice, in addition to a 14 strong slayer unit. Works brilliantly. Even if the dragonslayer was splattered to the winds by five outriders, it was worth it. They usually take out a slayer unit of their own, so its much better they are limited to the 50 pts ( and they barely got him because of his -1 to hit and 5T )

Do you have any experiences concerning the type of unit that the slayers and/or the dragonslayer works best against?

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Oh i forgot to say that i usually take 3 or 4 Giant Slayers with the unit (points permitting) as this gives you what amounts to several unit champions in one unit, giving you a real edge in CC- as if they need it!
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heya guys, thanks for your feedback so far, keep it coming.

I may have to try out using a solo slayer character next time I play and see how he does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

288 (x6)

I have fielded slayers a few times (without buying the models, wiht proxies) but didn't like them. I found that Ironbreakers, Longbeards or even warriors hold longer then them! This is due to a larger unit size and great dwarven armour (how many times have you seen a dwarf unit fail a break test? The times are few. The risk of being wiped out is much greater.).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kroxigor01 View Post
    I have fielded slayers a few times (without buying the models, wiht proxies) but didn't like them. I found that Ironbreakers, Longbeards or even warriors hold longer then them! This is due to a larger unit size and great dwarven armour (how many times have you seen a dwarf unit fail a break test? The times are few. The risk of being wiped out is much greater.).
    Yeah, as I said in my OP, this has always been my approach, leaving the slayers out to provide points for more anvil units.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast