The Runic Archive - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

The Runic Archive

The librarium online Dwarf forum is proud to present the community runic archive.

Runic weapons

"-of pain"
    Master rune of swiftness
    rune of cleaving
    rune of fury (optional)
    45-70 points

the "of pain" rune weapon dates back to the days before the current edition. an ideal weapon for lords,thanes and slayers alike it allows you to preserve great weapon weilding dwarves from enemy charges by killing them first.

-submitted by Arklite

The Beast Slayer
    great weapon
    master rune of kragg the grimm
    rune of might
    rune of snorri
    70 points (runes only)

the most effective way to get a S10 dwarf the beast slayer combo is inscribed on a great weapon. ideal for taking on anything with T5+ the combo hits at worst on 3's and most of the time on 2's. nothing matches the look on an opponents face when you hack the mount from under their dragon/griffon/hippogriff/wyvern/carnosaur riding lord in the second round of combat.

- submitted by Arklite

Grunt bane
    great weapon
    master rune of kragg the grim
    rune of fury
    rune of snorri
    70 points (runes only)

the most effective combo for smashing rank and file troops the grunt Bane can clear the enemies front rank with ease then go back for seconds.

- submitted by Arklite

Steel blight
    master rune of alric the mad
    rune of fury
    rune of snorri

a solid choice for dealing with pesky knights the steel blight combo is effective against heavily armoured T3-4 foes such as chaos warriors, bretonian knights and black knights.

- submitted by Arklite

Dorain (trans~red slayer)
    Master rune of swiftness
    rune of cleaving
    rune of cleaving

the red slayer combo is ideal against pretty much anything. its only flaw is its vulnerability against enemies also with ASF where dwarven inititive will cause them to loose the following I comparison.

- submitted by Ginger Ninja

The Challanger's Axe:
    Master Rune of Smiting
    Rune of Might
    Rune of Cleaving

This rune is made to kill high toughness enemy characters and large Monsters. It will cleave through anything at toughness 5 at strength 9, and then do D6 wounds per unsaved wound. Especially good for slaying those pesky vampire lords or Chaos lords.

Submitted by Stratigo

Runic Armour

72-->1
    shieldbearers
    master rune of steel
    rune of reistance
    rune of stone
    80 points (runes only)

when combined with the master rune of spite the number of S5+ attacks statistically required to wound this dwarf character is 72 (216 to kill)

- submitted by Arklite

Gromril Skin
    Master Rune of Adamant
    Rune of Fortitude
    Rune of Perservation

An armor Rune based around not giving good armor saves, but buffing the LKord's statline to the point where he is hard to take down without armor. Making him toughness 6 with 4 wounds is a nasty combination, and being immune to poison or killing blow is important to defend against those things that would ignor his high amount of wounds and toughness

Submitted by Stratigo

Runic standards

Blitz
    battle standard
    stollaz rune
    rune of guarding
    85 points (runes only)

the absolute must for marching dwarf armies, this allows you to make use of that free move while making sure that the poor thane has some protection.

- submitted by Arklite

Banner of Ancient Pride
    Rune of Battle
    Rune of Stoicism

A good rune Combo which will almost assure a Dwarf unit stands.

Submitted by Stratigo

Runic Talismans

Runic warmachines

Big Brunhilda
    grudge thrower
    rune of accuracy

the games best stone thrower at its most simple form. it has a 5/9 chance of rolling a direct hit thanks to its re-roll.

- submitted by Arklite

Chariot-b-gone
    bolt thrower
    rune of penetraiting

everyone knows this one a S7 bolt thrower, the bane of all chariots in warhammer.

- submitted by Arklite

whats a miss fire?
    Cannon
    rune of forging

a cannon that gets re-rolls on misfires, enough said

- submitted by Arklite

Runic Talismans

Offensive character builds

Defensive character builds

Other character builds

Last edited by Arklite; March 20th, 2008 at 13:48.

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

Right folks. Now that I’ve actually got a good amount of free time again and i can trust my PC once more (had to gut it) i thought i better get the runic challenges going again. However I felt this was kind of unfair as a whole.

Good combo's could be lost and forgotten, clever ideas left to stagnate and we would be cheating ourselves wont we?

So to rectify this I’ve changed the approach. Rather than "contests" for runes I thought it would be a better idea for us to create a runic archive and let everything be shared.

As you can see above the archive is split into 8 headings.

Runic weapons

Runic armour

Runic standards

Runic talismans

Runic war machines

Offensive character builds

Defensive character builds

Other character builds

I’m sure we can all work out what goes where (though to clarify anti-magic builds and BSB's are best put in "other")

i will however ask that you send all combo's/builds in the following format

Combo/build type (please state character type when submitting builds e.g. lord, runesmith, dragon slayer etc)
    Item name/build name
    Mundane items required
    Master runes
    Runes
    Explanation/additional information.
    Points value (no individual rune, character or item prices. just the total value. in turn if it looks like putting down the points for the combo will reveal the points (for example a single rune warmachine) please omit any points values)

Naming each item is highly recommended and the person who submits each combo/build will be given credit on a first come first serve basis, duplicate builds will not be accepted. If you submit a build with a previously unsubmitted piece of armour, runic weapon or talisman I will Endeavour to add it to the list.

I myself have added my favorites so I leave you lot to get creative and fill out the archive.

(please expect up to 12 hour waiting times at the very most between posted and addition to the archive)

----

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

The Beast Slayer
    great weapon
    master rune of kragg the grimm
    rune of might
    rune of snorri
    70 points (runes only)

the most effective way to get a S10 dwarf the beast slayer combo is inscribed on a great weapon. ideal for taking on anything with T5+ the combo hits at worst on 3's and most of the time on 2's. nothing matches the look on an opponents face when you hack the mount from under their dragon/griffon/hippogriff/wyvern/carnosaur riding lord in the second round of combat.

- submitted by Arklite
    This combo doesn't really work. The Slayer ability raises the str equal to the opponet's toughness and includes any special attributes included from the weapon. I believe the example in the book states that a Slayer with GW would still wound a T5 monster on a 4+. Not a 2+. Sorry I don't have the book with me and I wish I had the exact wording. At any rate it's clear that the dwarf doesn't get any bonus to his str other than that granted by the GW.

So in this example lets say our Slayer is squaring off with a Dragon. He would count as being STR 6 (2 from the GW and 1 from RoM), get no bonus from the "slayer" ability, get +1 to hit, and strike last.

If a Slayer with a different Rune Combo was fighting the same dragon. He would still be Str 6 due to the Slayer abilty and can use his rune points allowance elsewhere. So IMO You should take something that increases the number of attacks/likeliness to hit/or initiative because it's too expensive to increase a dwarves Str to wound on better than 4's.

It is however a nice combo if your the type that perscribes to the "It's all legal untill I get caught" camp. I don't0: but I know people that do. After all someone would need to know the Dwarf book pretty well to stop mid game and say that it's wrong.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

kbolster12345 - I do not think he is saying it is to be used as a slayer character build, but rather has named it as "the Beast Slayer". On a normal character - say a lord - it will work exactly as described and make him S10.

You are however correct on the usage of it on a slayer character, they will never be able to wound on anything better than a 4+ if their special slayer skill is utilised.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by King Ulrik Flamebeard View Post
    kbolster12345 - I do not think he is saying it is to be used as a slayer character build, but rather has named it as "the Beast Slayer". On a normal character - say a lord - it will work exactly as described and make him S10.

You are however correct on the usage of it on a slayer character, they will never be able to wound on anything better than a 4+ if their special slayer skill is utilised.

Kuffy
    How so? Lord is STR4. Double that I get 8. +1 for RoM makes 9. Very nice but??? No Str bonus for using a GW since it has runes. If it did get a bonus for GW that would make 11 anyways.
    Last edited by kbolster12345; February 29th, 2008 at 16:36.

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

Note the use of the rune of Kragg the Grimm on the "beast slayer", which allows the use of a runed great weapon which still retains it GW profile.

Arklite is pretty slick on the rules...thats not to say it isn't good to double check him, (I do all the time) but in Arklites case when I find an error I double check the wording and my own math before calling it.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Undead Bonzi View Post
    Note the use of the rune of Kragg the Grimm on the "beast slayer", which allows the use of a runed great weapon which still retains it GW profile.

Arklite is pretty slick on the rules...thats not to say it isn't good to double check him, (I do all the time) but in Arklites case when I find an error I double check the wording and my own math before calling it.

Yup my bad. I thought Snori did somthing it doesn't. It's my bad!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do we post said rune combos. i beleive I have a few good ideas.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

451 (x8)

feel free to post them in here. i will in due course add them to the origonal post under the correct heading.

----

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weapon (Lord)
    The Challanger's Axe:
    Master Rune of Smiting
    Rune of Might
    Rune of Cleaving

This rune is made to kill high toughness enemy characters and large Monsters. It will cleave through anything at toughness 5 at strength 9, and then do D6 wounds per unsaved wound. Especially good for slaying those pesky vampire lords or Chaos lords.

Armor (Lord)
    Gromril Skin
    Master Rune of Adamant
    Rune of Fortitude
    Rune of Perservation

An armor Rune based around not giving good armor saves, but buffing the LKord's statline to the point where he is hard to take down without armor. Making him toughness 6 with 4 wounds is a nasty combination, and being immune to poison or killing blow is important to defend against those things that would ignor his high amount of wounds and toughness

Talisman (Runelord)
    Mage Burner Amulate
    Master Rune of Balance
    2 Spelleater Runes

This combitnation is made to burn the spells out of a wizard's mind, while draining him of magic. Once again you can get a chuckle when you eat 2 invocations of Nehek.

Banner (For units)
    Banner of Ancient Pride
    Rune of Battle
    Rune of Stoicism

A good rune Combo which will almost assure a Dwarf unit stands.
    Last edited by Stratigo; March 19th, 2008 at 21:30.
    May the Emperor forgive you, for his servants cannot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast