Ask a Longbeard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ask a Longbeard

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Ask a Longbeard

“Gather around, gather around, young un’s.” the deep voice was muffled slightly by the puff of smoke that used the chance to escape from the dwarfs mouth. The scuffing of chairs echoed in the tavern as the large group of young beardlings eager for the wised words of the two longbeards warming their feet by the fire. Arklite, unusual for a dwarf, as his clan has chosen to forgo the traditional axe or hammer and instead have taken a likening for large swords. And skirts. A short pair of hair covered legs poked out from beneath the long, plaid cloth known as a “kilt”. His morose brown beard hung low, well past his belt, with numerous charms and adornments binding it into a number of plaits. Sat opposite him was a more traditional view of a dwarf. King Ulrik Flamebeard has forgone his armour for the visit, but his ever trusty axe was lent against his chair and behind him were two loyal retainers, hammerers of his royal clan. Whilst his companion had a dark beard, King Ulrik, Kuffy to his friends, sported a fine, fiery beard of the brightest red. Golden ringlets caught the fire’s glow, the silver and golden banding shone as bright as the sun at midday. Slowly drinking the pair regarded the group of eager young ones.

“So, you want to know how to become a true dwarf, do you?” Arklite threw the question at the crowd. It was greeted with a number of enthusiastic nods, including one dwarf who fell of his chair, the strong ale gone to his head already. Together the longbearded dwarfs shook their head in dismay at the lightweight. It was Kuffy who broke the silence; “Ok, so. What do you want to know?”

To all you dwarf lords, thanes or beardlings. This thread is designed to be a helpful guide where you request help from two venerable longbeards (Arklite and myself), as well as others for all dwarfish help.

Cannot understand the ruling of a rune or how one creates an item? We’ll help.
    Wondering about one of the lost holds? We know some find loremasters.
    Cannot defeat that backstabbing elgi? We can give you ideas and options.

Any question you have upon the dwarfs, we shall try to answer. Of course, as the forum is a community, other members are also more than welcome to put their input of their experiences and help out the young beardlings. Remember, a dwarf army is like a chainmail shirt. If there is a broken link, then it fails. Lets make sure there are no broken links here.

Kuffy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I have a question, venerable longbeards.

I have three infantry units, longbeards, warriors, and hammerers supported by a BSB.

The longbeards have the rune of battle and rune of sanctuary. The latter is good because opponents try them once with magic and then pick on the warriors, which is okay.

The hammerers have the rune of battle and rune of stoicism.

The BSB has no runic standard. He has been very useful in adding combat res to the warriors, which he joins, and should've abandoned last night as his unit was magicked to death (that's another story). He has two runes of cleaving and a rune of striking and the master rune of gromril.

My questions:
    1. I'm thinking of swapping the rune of stoicism on the hammerers with the rune of sanctuary. After all, hammerers are already immune to fear and terror so that benefit of stocism is lost. Plus they're stubborn so losing outnumbering is less of a concern. The longbeards, on the other hand, could use the benefit against fear causers and the extra pip of combat res they would almost always get.

And the hammerers would get the magic resistance.

2. How about the BSB? His killing power has been really great for the warriors who otherwise don't accomplish a lot. And he's hard to hit much of the time at WS 7 and I just love having a BSB with a 1+ armor save and str 6 attacks (as opposed to a T3 elf with some fuzzy talisman that might or might not work).

3. I proxied a gyrocopter last night for the first time. It was a big help (of course, it was against dark elves...they're a pushover). Do you recommend taking these?

4. I'm new to being a dwarf. How do I wash my beard?
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

1. I'm thinking of swapping the rune of stoicism on the hammerers with the rune of sanctuary. After all, hammerers are already immune to fear and terror so that benefit of stoicism is lost. Plus they're stubborn so losing outnumbering is less of a concern. The longbeards, on the other hand, could use the benefit against fear causers and the extra pip of combat res they would almost always get.
    I personally don't run any runes on my hammerers and my longbeards sport a master rune of grungi. This plan however, seems sound. Hammerers are able to run with a Dwarf lord and work at peak efficacy, only runes of battle will improve their combat performance (or the rune of determination if you want to be nasty). The longbeards will receive much more benefit from the rune of stoicism (I’ve started to run it on my BSB who leads the unit).

One thing the dwarf army is able to do is generate magic resistance. while other armies can generate more dispel dice (lizardmen/khornate chaos) NO ONE can throw around magic resistance like we can.

as such its worth exploiting, and magic resistance on the hammerers is a worth while Endeavour to say the least, it not only protects them but acts as a deterrent. Keeping the lord and his bodyguard alive is always a worthwhile Endeavour.

i say, go for it but don't be afraid to move those points elsewhere in the list.

How about the BSB? His killing power has been really great for the warriors who otherwise don't accomplish a lot. And he's hard to hit much of the time at WS 7 and I just love having a BSB with a 1+ armor save and str 6 attacks (as opposed to a T3 elf with some fuzzy talisman that might or might not work).
    way I see it, the battle standard bearer is best used as a defensive tool in order to maximize the staying power of your troops in combat. while tooling them for combat is VERY fun, I find its very expensive for something that earns its points back through just existing.

Might I suggest you loose the two runes of cleaving and shift his position to the longbeards? Dwarf warriors role is most often a means to pin enemy units and protect your elite hard hitters and war machines. As such they rarely kill things, but their role is pivotal in most dwarf armies (in my opinion). Having the battle standard lead the longbeards would provide a serious anchor for your army, with your panic and break test re-rolls focused at the centre of your army. Nothing to turn your nose up at ;Y

I proxied a gyrocopter last night for the first time. It was a big help (of course, it was against dark elves...they're a pushover). Do you recommend taking these?
    i think it depends on the army. I personally don't include my gyro very often because my army is blitzing across the table anyways. In a more defense oriented force however the gyro is golden. With it March blocking you get to make a powerful influence on the battle. i would however only choose it AFTER choosing one of the other rare war machines. The organ gun and flame cannon are far too good to pass over in my opinion. One of them first, then a gyro.

4. I'm new to being a dwarf. How do I wash my beard?
    L’Oreal, because we're bloody damn worth it!

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Longbeards, I play mostly 2500, and run a blitz army, and just wanted to know if 30 Quarrelers, 2 Bolt Throwers, and a Grudge Thrower is too much shooting?

And thanks for this thread, it's a great way to read up when starting or expanding an army.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nay thats a nice amount of shooting there wat runes do you use on these warmachines and how do you set the quarrellers out?
    Im always 2 steps a head and one step behind you!

Your mind is a maze and only you have the map. (I lost mine years ago.)

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Dear Longbeards, just curious as to who would win in an honourable fight between Arky and Kuffy?

And now for some seriousness, great idea for a thread, wonder if we could get one everywhere... mind if i steal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Dear Longbeards, just curious as to who would win in an honourable fight between Arky and Kuffy?

And now for some seriousness, great idea for a thread, wonder if we could get one everywhere... mind if i steal?
    Me of course.

No. You may not. Dwarf only. =p You won't beat our introduction.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

In the direction of an introduction

Quote Originally Posted by King Ulrik Flamebeard View Post
    You won't beat our introduction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    And thus it begins, younglings. Now do you witness two mighty warriors Dwarfen warriors raise their axes in mutual combat.

In this corner, Arklite the Steadfastly Sober. In the opposite corner, King Ulrik Flamebeard, Ale Slayer.

Between them, they shall drink many a pint and spin many a yarn. Perhaps along the way, they shall treat us younglings to their sage, hard-fought advice. Now and again, they may grow foul and clash their weapons about, but never you mind. They are well-intentioned grouches.
    Last edited by DavidWC09; April 4th, 2008 at 04:01.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1372 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04 View Post
    And thus it begins, younglings. Now do you witness two mighty warriors Dwarfen warriors raise their axes in mutual combat.

In this corner, Arklite the Steadfastly Sober. In the opposite corner, King Ulrik Flamebeard, Ale Slayer.

Between them, they shall drink many a pint and spin many a yarn. Perhaps along the way, they shall treat us younglings to their sage, hard-fought advice. Now and again, they may grow fowl and clash their weapons about, but never you mind. They are well-intentioned grouches.
    You sir. Are you calling me a drunkard?!

*giggles at David being a younglin'* hehe Fowl? We turn into poultry? O_o I don't wanna. =p

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello all! I'm an aspiring dwarf player and was wondering where to start off in buying models wise. Is it well worth it to buy the battalion or army deals from GW?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast