Favorite way to use Slayers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favorite way to use Slayers

Just wondering how people tend to use slayers, personally I take 1 dragon slayer duck him behind some hard cover and laugh as the enemy steers as far away from this menacing looking dwarf as possible. Always brings a smile to my face

We will remain, until the battle is won: BROTHERS OF METAL!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do the same thing... I run a cheap dragon slayer with no runes. People tend to focus a whole lot of attention on the little bugger...

Coyote

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love running a dragonslayer, no runes, as my 50 point speedbump. Put him near my war machines or on my flanks.
    I love it when my opponent commits some big points unit to deal with him, cut him to pieces and i can go 'wow, a whole 50 points you just got there'
    Dire Avengers got better Armor Saves than Guardians cause' they wear bigger hats & loincloths?God help us if Orks discover Sombrero/Poncho Technology!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I field one last week (just for fun, with couple of runes), because I read similar idea on Bugman's forum and here (a month or so ago).

The psychological impact on the opponent's was quite unexpected.
    I hide him behind my right flank infantry block and moved forward. For an unknown reason my opponents (VC, HE, Empire), prefered to face the hard units (Longbreards, Ironbreakers, Warriors with Thane of Doom*) , than the simple warrior unit with the slayer behind them.

For sure I'm going to playtest the whole concept idea because I might found the solution to hold a flank without sacrificing units, that can be used on the centre.

*I named him like that because of the rune combo he has. Very cheap but deadly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its hard to say exactly what is so scary about them.. But it just seems like your opponents look at them and even if they know they are easily killed just believe they have some kinda trick up their sleeves when in reality they usually don't.

I face 99% of the time Ogres, High Elves and Empire. I like to load him with the master rune of swiftness and a couple runes of striking then rush him in with great weapon so he has 5 powerfull attacks. We generally play with set lists its funny how he can turn off so many squads by just sitting there and menacing behind rocks!
    We will remain, until the battle is won: BROTHERS OF METAL!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i finally tried running the naked slayer in a list against daemons and ogre. for some reason the unit of khorne hounds wasted a turn in front of my gunline so that it wouldnt have to charge the slayer, and a unit of yhetis kept trying to flee till i caught them in combat. in the end he was killed by magic, but not bad for 50 points. i think ill try him more often now.
    Oi! Get off me beard!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

The psychological impact of the Slayer is entirely in their reputation as big-thing-killers. Whether or not that reputation is warranted is more or less moot, but that's how they're perceived.

Additionally, there's the notion that if a Dwarf player is going to field something that has no armor at all, it must hit like an truck and should be kept away from anything valuable.

My preference for Slayers is a unit of ten of them, in two ranks of five, with two Dragonslayers in the front rank. I use them as a flanking unit mostly and also as an intercepting unit. If they can hold up a charge from Chaos Knights for even a single turn, then they have done their job.

I use them as sacrificial troops. After all, if they didn't want to die, they would put on some clothes.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HAHA just yesterday i had a dragon slayer in a 1500 point game he was out on the left flank and my friend was playing VC he used some gaze thing that did 2D6 Str 4 hits for two turns than he got to close with his general and the slayer well slayed him. All hi stuff had to take the leadership tests after that... game won
    He won the game haha just about 120 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stuff on Slayer magic allowance

Quote Originally Posted by Finn Grudgefist View Post
    I like to load him with the master rune of swiftness and a couple runes of striking then rush him in with great weapon so he has 5 powerfull attacks.
    Except this doesn't work, as without a maruKragg it's just a handweapon. Magic weapons means no slayer axes rule, so neither greatweapons nor five attacks. Sorry.

Better question: can you use Armour runes on slayer characters?

edit- ah!, sunova b*ch.. Under the point listing it clearly states they can take weapon runes only. That means no ward saves, and worse yet no maruChallange. How unfair.
    Last edited by Serephina; October 17th, 2008 at 07:11.

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Aye the first slayer I built had the rune of spite (is that it? the 4+ ward save) as I thought it would be cool to paint some protective tats on him. After I found out he could only use weapon runes I either run him naked or with the ASF rune
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

+ Reply to Thread