hammerers with shields - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

hammerers with shields

while reading the Dwarf armylist section I stumbled across the option to give shields to hammerers. But..? Models with great-weapons can't use a shield right? Hammerers do have handweapons in their standard kit, si when does the shield benefit them? Does it give a 4+ save against shooting? Can they switch their hammers for shield and handweapon for CC or something? Do they basically become Longbeards without the old grumblers rule and with that stubborn-rule?

whats up with hammerers + shields

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

when a combat begins in WFB you get to choose what weapons your unit is using before it starts. for example with hammerers they have great weapons and hand weapons on their profile. giving the hammerers shields means that if you choose to use the hand weapons in place of the great weapons you can use the shield to provide a better save.

having shields also provides you with a little more protection from shooting. just think of it as the hammerers slinging the shields/great weapons over their backs while they don't use them.

remember however that you can't use great weapons and shields at the same time. so its either a 5+ armour save with great weapons or a 3+ save in combat without

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That extra +1 save against shooting is priceless, and there will be many circumstances where you want to limit damage more than inflict it (fighting undead or low toughness creatures). the s4 of the hammerers is good enough, so having the option is really useful. I always equip them with shields, and its worth it.
    Oi! Get off me beard!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

When fighting against skellingtons or other undead, I usually end up keeping the shields up and fighting with hand weapons. Pretty much anything will take down a skellington, so I'll take the improved save and greatly reduce the risk of losing models to undead and auto-breaking.

That's a rare case, though, because I usually have my Hammerers slamming into whatever is biggest.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

+ Reply to Thread