New to dwarfs ... need help designing - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to dwarfs ... need help designing

Hi, I just started playing whfb, I have played Wh40k before, but never fantasy.

My question is how to make the army i have most effective

I currently have:

8 Miners (standard,musician, leader)

1 Cannon (3 crew)

12 Warriors (standard,musician, leader) shields and hand weapons

Thane (shown with an axe and shield)

Dragon Slayer (shown with two axes)

10 Thunderers (standard,musician, leader)

I have also a box set that allows me to build the following:

Set of 16 warriors/longbeards

Another set of 16 warriors/longbeards

16 Thunderers or quarellers

1 Cannon or Organ Gun

10 Slayers

Grudge Thrower

Runelord

Master Engineer

Thane with Standard

Lord

What is the best way to put these guys together? Should I chose quarellers or thunderers? (guns seem better, but am I missing something?)

1 squad of longbeards (can these guys even have great weapons) and 1 squad of warriors with great weapons? Or should I stick with shields and hand weapons for the warriors?

Organ Gun or another cannon? I think organ gun seems to be a better choice?

Can anyone suggest an army layout or items?

Should I attach the engineer to a cannon or thrower? Does he do anything for organ guns?

Basically I feel clueless and overwhelmed I would welcome any suggestions on how to compose a decent army based on what I have and tactics with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you =)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

You already have a very broad base to start playing dwarf, you could go 2000 pts with this actually

About the longbeards/warriors. The models are basically the same, except longbeards are older and to show this people often paint their beards grey ( standard for longbeard units really. ) . Longbeards are in the game pretty much te same as warriors, only a lot better at what they do. Their strength and weapon skill are higher and they do not panic and run away.

It depends on your personal preference but most people take warriors and longbeards with handweapons & shields. This way they have a 4+ save agaist missile fire and 3+ in combat, something only elites of other races can match. Great weapons are also good for the strenght bonus, but that leaves them very vulnerable to missile fire with only a 5+ save ( also 5+ in combat ). The high save makes them very, very durable and also allows you to flank the enemy when they are locked in combat.

I would build both with handweapon & shield, and make 20 longbeards & 12 warriors ( because you already have 12 from the skull pass box, that makes a nice 24 strong unit. )

You already have a cannon, so build an organ gun. Its utterly briliant! Every dwarf army should have one and 1000+ just about every army will have one. It hits automatically and thats just awesome, because against pesky skimishers, units hiding in forest and stuff about 15" away you get penalties for shooting at them. But becase you hit automatically, you don't need to worry about that. And with str 5 and -3 to armoursave it can wipe out units of scouts, flyers and pesky knights in 1 turn! But if you are unlucky.. it explodes

There is a difference between quarrelers and thunderers. On first glance, thunderers would look better, because they dish out more damage and get +1 for shooting. But their range is limited and they are costly. Quarrelers are a lot cheaper and have more range, but don't have the same firingpower and accuracy. I would suggest building a unit of 12 quarrelers and the others thunderers so you can swap. Personally I think thunderers are better, once the enemy gets within the 24" range, you can start blowing things away. Though quarrelers are great to force the enemy to come to you and not stay within the deployement zone.

I have never used the master engineer before ( bit of a pointssink in my scale games ) , but I think he does nothing for the organgun. I'm pretty sure he does something for the cannon. ( at least.. the normal engineer does. )

I hope this would help you a bit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the very informative response, this helps out immensely!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

You've also got a grudge thrower, missed that. The master engineer is awesome with the grudge thrower. Best stone thrower combo in the game:

Grudge thrower with the rune of accuracy ( you may reroll the scatterdice )
    + Master engineer ( you may reroll the artillery dice, and in the armybook it doens't specify wether you can or can't reroll misfires xD Awesome! )

Someone on Librarium calculated the propability of hitting dead on with this combo: I believe it was 5/9? Little over half chance to squash an enemy regiment.

And next to that, if they want to take out your grudge thrower, the master engineer has an ability called "entrenchment" . He may entrench 1 warmachine in the army ( he doens't have to be with that warmachine, he can choose 1 in the army. ) and that warmachine counts as being behind hard cover. Which means enemies get -2 to shoot at them. Most enemies will need 5's to hit you at that range anyway ( BS 3 = 4's. Long range = 5's ), so with another -2 penalty you are safe from missile fire. And the engineer is quite hard in close combat too! You will not have to worry about fast cavalry coming 'round the flank attacking your warmachine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are good rune combos for the lords/thanes/engineers and regiment/army banners?

Which ones do ppl commonly take?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

585 (x8)

Regiments usually take no or only 1 rune. It depends a bit on what you want but I always find handy these:
    "Master rune of grungni ( 5+ wardsave against all kinds of missile fire and magic missiles ) "
    "Rune of battle, ( +1 combatresolution, always handy ) "
    "Rune of sanctuary ( 1 magic resistance , when the enemy casts a spell on the unit , for every magic resistance ( you can take multiple of these runes, up to 3. ) you have, you get an extra dice to dispell the spell. ) "

In the dwarfforum there is a stickied thread above, the runic archive, there you can find dozens of rune combo's.

I myself usually take:
    Thane
    shield
    rune of snorri spangelhelm ( +1 to hit to a max of 2+ )
    rune of fury ( +1 attack )
    rune of cleaving ( +1 strenght )
    rune of stone ( +1 armoursave, now you have a 1+ save in close combat )

this thane can strike 4 times and against normal rank and file models he will hit on 2+ , wound on 2+ ( or 3+ if your enemy has toughness 4 ), so if you don't throw any 1's, you will chop up 4 enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find Ironbreakers to be a good buy as they can weather a rediculous amount of damage
    We will remain, until the battle is won: BROTHERS OF METAL!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your first 'Elite' unit

I'm with Finn on the Ironbreakers. They will both attract lots of fire, but can weather it fairly well w/ S4 and AS 3+. Becomes even better in close combat with save 2+. I take them with Runic standard (Runes of Battle and Stoicism). I'll add my Lord and an Army Standard bearer (MR Valaya) and make them incredibly tough. If nothing else, it's fun to listen to the cursing of your enemies as they try to kill them...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

585 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by bnrweimann View Post
    I'm with Finn on the Ironbreakers. They will both attract lots of fire, but can weather it fairly well w/ S4 and AS 3+. Becomes even better in close combat with save 2+. I take them with Runic standard (Runes of Battle and Stoicism). I'll add my Lord and an Army Standard bearer (MR Valaya) and make them incredibly tough. If nothing else, it's fun to listen to the cursing of your enemies as they try to kill them...
    Thank GW for screwing us over once more. Chaos ( mortals or daemons, I don't know which one, I think mortals ) has a new nice little spell. Models get swallowd by swampy slime or something. Every model in the unit first has to take a initiative test. And our initiative is enormously high ( 2... ) so you will fail about 2/3 if you are lucky (!) . After that, you have to take an armoursave. If you pass the armoursave, the model is stone dead. It represents the models trying to jump away, and the more armour and less I, the easier they sink.

Thank you so very much GW! first pass an I test with our I2, and then you must fail an AS with our 2+/3+ save. There goes your block. Luckily I fail every armoursave anyway so I'm fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would two units of 13 thunderers be a good idea, or should I make 10 quarrelers and 16 thunderers?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast