Considering starting Warhammer Fantasy, are Dwarfs for me? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x2)

Considering starting Warhammer Fantasy, are Dwarfs for me?

I've been looking at the Battle for Skull Pass set, and really considering getting some dwarfs and trying them out.
    Any suggestions, words of wisdom, or anything like that from the longbeards around here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My beard's kinda short, just stubble really, but probably most people are going to ask "What do you like to play?" "How do you like to fight?" and other similar questions. So, maybe shooting us some more info will help the longer beards help you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

106 (x2)

Well, right now I only play 40k and have an ork and eldar army. I love orks to death, but I just don't think I have it in me to paint another hundred boys, so fantasy orcs are right out. I love having a solid army that's hard to stop when it gets moving though. Eldar, and I'm guessing, fantasy elves, are quick and nimble to very fragile and unforgiving of small mistakes (at least in my experience).
    Even better, I've always loved dwarfs. They've always been my favorite fantasy race, and the Warhammer dwarves look great. I'm really leaning towards getting an artillery/gun heavy army too.

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Well.. dwarfs are ( you could've guessed, ) kinda slow. Movement 3, we are the slowest in the game.

With that out of the way.. dwarf armies consist of bocks of solid infantry. Our warriors can even hold against the elites of other races. Our own elite troops are very durable and able to take the beating of the enemy charge and strike back hard. Our blocks are backed up by some nice missile troops and a great choice of warmachines. You've got every kind of warmachine in the game in the dwarf army. Bolt throwers, cannons, stone throwers, a-lot-of-shots-cannons ( organgun ) , a firethrowing variant of stone thrower ( flamecannon ) and to top it of a helicopter

Nex to that our heroes are top notch, very hard and resilient.

And last but not least our rune magic; we don't have magic items like other races, but we have runes which we can place on our weapons. 3 runes per item. All kinds of runes. Runes for +1 to hit, +1 attack, +1 strenght, runes for armour, banners, talismans ( magic defense mostly ) and runes for your warmachines.

So in short, dwarf armies won't be manouvering a lot and most of the time on the receiving end of a charge. But all of their troops are very very durable and our toughness 4 ensures we survive a lot of the beating. The durable troops are backed up by the greatest selection of warmachines in the game and formidable characters with very customisable runic items. Dwarf armies on the other hand are relatively small due to high costs and are very slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

106 (x2)

That sounds like my kind of army. ^_^
    Battle for Skull Pass will fill out my first five hundred points for pretty cheap, and I'm going to hang back on buying more until I've finished painting them. Any suggestions as to what would be good to get next? I hear good things about the organ gun, and I'm planning on possibly getting an engineer with a brace of pistols.

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Organgun = ++

an artillerydice worth of hits, which autohit ( yes, you've read right ) with strenght 5 and a -3 armoursave modifier.

But today I've used a unit of 10 slayers for the first time ever, they performed great! Kicked the behinds of a unit of 20 orc boyz with shaman and ran them over, the survivors killed half a unit of night goblins before my opponent rolled some jawdropping wounds.

So slayers are fun, why?
    - Unbreakable, we never run, mwuaha!
    - Slayerskill, if the toughness of the enemy is higher than your slayer's strenght, your strenght is raised to the opponents toughness, so you wound on 4's always, at the least.
    - Slayeraxes, my personal favorite of slayer advantages, they can either use their axes as if they have 2 handweapons, so you have another attack, or they can use their axes as if they have 1 greatweapon, so +2 strenght. I always go for 2 handweapons, awesome!

Other good choices include:
    - a box of warriors / longbeards ( longbeards are the same as warriors but have +1 weaponskill and +1 strenght. )
    - perhaps another warmachines, like a boltthrower, cheap and reliable.
    - the dwarf armybook :- )

+ Reply to Thread