Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I'd like to hear some of your best and worst dwarf moments. Sometimes we rock and sometimes we are just doing awfull, as does every army.
I had a 500 pts battle today for a campaign in my local store, and had an awful and awesome moment. I had 20 warriors and a thane with a dozen ironbreakers ( campaign rules, only 1+ core unit needed. ) He had 10 archers placed on the hill, 10 white lions with noble and 15 spearmen.
He sets up archers on the hill in the middle of his deploymentzone, white lions on the left ( from my point of view ) and spearmen on the right. I put my 2 units next to eachother, Ironbreakers left, warriors right. moveing turns, got shot at, horrible savingrolls, a few dead. We get into combat, IB's against White lions, warriors vs spearmen. The combats last a few turns.
The 1's machine
On the left I had a thane who hit on 2's and wound on 2's. First round.. this is just ridiculous... 2 1's to hit and to wound another 1, so only 1 kill. The second round I threw 3 1's to hit!!! 0.o Thats just impossible.. :p But somehow I managed to make the lions flee. He rolls 4 inches. Me happy, I can run him down.. what do I roll? You could've guessed.. 2 1's! 0.o
Revenge of the dwarfwarriors who appeared totally screwed
The white lions rallied and then broke and overran my remaining few IB's and thane. On the right my warriors had been battling those spearmen for about 3 turns now. The white lions overrun into a position somewhere behind my warriors ( not directly behind, but from there hey could charge my rear. ) and they turn around so they could charge my warriors in the rear. That round my warriors break and flee, but outrun the spearmen. I rally and turn around. In front of me are the spearmen, directly left of me are the lions who stood in a way he didn't have LOS to me and I didn' have LOS to him.
I appeared to be screwed so thought 'what the heck, just charge those spears'. And this is where the weird part starts:
- I charge the spears
- beat 'em in combat
- they flee
- I overrun
Then the 3 white lions with noble charge me in the rear, but my warriors won against the lions and the broke and fled, but were overrun by my warriors 0.0
After that my 12 remaining warriors marched towards the archers on the hill, fought and broke them. I did not overrun and he rallied. Immediately charged again and won again, the broke and ran almost off the table. The next turn they didn't rally and ran away.
So my Ironbreakers with the omg thane who hits and wounds on 2+ ( who threw 6 1's in 2 turns..... Omg?! ) hardly did anything and even failed to overrun a unit who ran 4 inches ( I rolled 2 1's 0.o 0.o 0.o!!!!! ) but my screwed looking warriorunit who was outnumbered, outflanked, outgunned and outmatched killed all 3 of the elf units?!
HHEEEEEEEELLL YEAH!! Those warriors will take a place of honour in my army!
Now, have you guys got any terrific or terrible moments with dwarfs?
I was playing Dark elves and was charged by a war hydra. It took out 5 longbeards so I had 20 left I broke it and it was run down. this has been named as "Dwarf Syndrome". where some big scary beast charges a unit of dwarfs kills a bunch then flees and is run down. this has happened against stegadons, and even a dark elf dread lord on a manticore.
One of my worst dwarf moments were in a game I had last week. Following things occured:
- My Bolt Thrower got 3 shoots. The two first times I had to hit on 4's. I rolled 3's both times. The third time I got a hit. Now, I only had to wound on a 2+. I roll 1. That was...ye, nevermind After that, the crew got charged by a gorgor but they actually surprised. Those little sturdy bastards was able to hold up the gorgor for 3 turns
- When the enemy got within range of my Organ Gun. I roll to see how many gets hit. Missfire! Yay...ehmm..I roll a 3, and the turn they're finally able to fire, they get charged.
- My Miners decided not to show up untill turn 5. And were able to do zero, nada, zippo ^^
- The enemy decided to cast the spell, were the target unit has to take a panic test. With my Lord on Sheildbeares as the target, I decide not to dispell it. And what do I roll? 11 ^^ They run, into a unit of bulls, who are fighting a unit of my warriors, and are killed because they fleed into non-fleeing enemies.
It was an extremly funny game, because I had never played against Ogres before, and, on some occations, he werent lucky either.
Last edited by King Alriks Bodyguard; December 13th, 2008 at 10:10.
Pff, my boltthrower almost never hits, ever :p
always 3's or 2's and when I hit the chance of throwing a 1 increases fifthfold :p I never rely on boltthrowers now xD But if they do hit and kill the first guy, the usually go through the entire row.
We did a 3-way game of 'just-kill-eachother'. To my left were lizzies and to my right Vampire counts ( we were in a triangle, with a hill in the middle ). the VC player sends his 3 fell bats to a spot about directly next to my line where my blocks couldn't see them and had to turn ( and those bats would've flown away already ) so I let all my blocks go forward about 3" and then my organgun, in the middle of the line had sight to the bats. Pretty nice move I'd say Then misfire, 1, boom. :p Well, that got some laughing ( mostly me, luckily )
O, and against some beasts of chaos a unit of 15 bestigors ( whatever those are, the elite anyway ) with his hero charge my 20 strong warriorunit. Suprisingly I manage to take all of the blows and even kill one. So I win. He flee's, 4". Me yay, I roll below 4
And after that the unit gets ripped apart by a beastherd in the back and running into those just-rallied elites
When I sold them, by a coincidence, the guy I sold them to is a member of the local gaming club. When I faced him a couple of times, his rolls with it were just as bad as mine.
You aren't all using Games Workshop dice when you get these duff dice rolls are you? A friend of mine who plays brought my attention to an article on the Dakka Dakka website about how GW's dice are badly weighted so that you're more likely to roll 1's. It certainly explains the number of occasionally hilarious instances of well 'ard units doing squat that we've had
Mmm.. seems likely xD Today I had a game against lizards I massacred, I had some great moments:
- 5 thunderers shot at a unit of 5 cold one riders ( unit of 10 thunderers, but they weren't on a hill ) and killed 2, both my boltthrowers shot and they killed 2 more. The cold one rider champion didn't run away and charged my boltthrower crew, with whom he fought about 3 turns xD
- Organgun shoots at skinks, I throw 10 on the artillerydice and kill 9. Too bad they passed their paniccheck ( hero in unit )
- A lizardhero of about 150 pts on his fast shoes runs out of the above skink unit onto my artillery hill, kills a boltthrower crew and overruns to behind my lines. My other boltthrower pivots, shoots, hits, wounds and throws 5 for D3 wounds His expensive general instantly dead ^^
- 4 kroxigors attack my 20 strong warrior-unit with runesmith. Almost every attack is 1, 2 or 3 0.0 2 hit and only 1 dwarf dies. After that my runesmith does 2 wounds so he has 1 combat res and I have ( 3 ranks, outnumber, banner, 2 wounds ) 7.
- Saurus unit attacks my longbeards, about 50% misses, few wound, most saved, 1 dead. Return fire: 6 dead saurus. He has 2 ranks ( I shot 1 Saurus with my boltthrower int he first turn and that cost him a rank xD ) , banner, kill = 4. I have 2 ranks, banner, rune of battle, outnumber, 6 kills = 11. Needless to say the lizzies ran.
- O, and not forgetting this one: My ironbreakers charge some skinks, he ( obviously ) chose a flee reaction and I fail to catch them ( obviously ) . But the turn after the skinks don't rally and they run off the table :p I only had to charge them to kill them xD
- he had 2 skins wizards, one of which level 2, but he didn;t get off 1 spell the entire game.
Best moment: Garagrim Ironfist cause 26 points of combat resolution against a keeper of secrets. Wich was part of a combat involving 1 slaneshi chariots, 1 slaneshi cavalry unit and a unit of daemonettes. Suffice to say I racked up alot of points as they all blew up back to the nether.
Worst moment: Blew up my organ gun and cannon with rune of forging on turn 1. also had an anvil misfire and blow on on turn 2. I did not go for an ancient power either.
Best moment (in my verrrrryyyy short fantasy experiance so far)
My friend has a 13 unit of black orcs chargeing my 10 man thunderers. (with out sheilds) I stand and shoot and kill 6 orcs and then hold off the orcs for 3 turns bringing them down to 4 orcs befor the thunderers flee.
Same game my warriors unit ended up on the other side of the feild in just 2 turns Charge, Run, They regroupe, i charge again. (a first for me anyway)
Tyranids 2000pts, Chaos 2500, Eldar 2000pts, Necrons 750pts