Do all the core units make good meatshields? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do all the core units make good meatshields?

I want to make a ranged theme army with lots of siege weapons. I chose two units of 16 quarrelers with shields, standard bearers, musicians and a unit of 10 thunderers with a veteran. That's my core. The difference between warriors and quarrelers is that warriors would have a 3+ SV in CC I think, while the quarrelers have a 4+ SV. However, the quarrelers can shoot some while they wait on the charge where the warriors can't do anything except march closer.

I was wondering if any of you have personal experience with quarrelers as meatshields. Is it viable? I don't expect them to withstand everything, but I don't want them to get routed in one turn either by anything. Any advice would be appreciated. I get the impression the main weakness of gunline armies are fast cavalry units, which I don't know how to counter besides get lucky and shoot them to death first before they can reach my gunline.

I posted an army list in the army list section earlier. It shows everything I'm using and how I plan to use it. Never played a game of Fantasy before, so don't know what can happen/make it fail hard.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I took a quick look at your list and here are some quick things that I noticed that you might want to conciser:

drop/reconsider the multitude of runes that you put everywhere - try and keep is practical and minimal - runes are not very cheap.

get another bolt thrower and don't bother putting 2 runes of penetration on each - put 5 pt rune of fire on one with that 1 rune of Penetration and then another bolt thrower with just rune of penetration.

to answer your question - quarrelers aren't the best meatshields - but they are still dwarfs - so they will definitely hold their ground. Don't expect them to hold much though even with the numbers you have them.

I would actually try and put some slayers into your army - people who try and flank you would be very reluctant to charge into your slayers as they will get stuck there for a long time (try and avoid shooting of course)

Warhammer is quite balanced - in my humble opinion you can't really win with just shooting, just magic or just close combat.

Oh and one last thing... don't forget that Master Engineer can entrench a war machine - Incredibly helpful as it denies the charge bonus to those pesky units that are after your machine - and he can entrench any machine.

Hope that helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quarellers have 5+ Save not 4+. They wear light armor (+ shield).
    Edit: They get 4+ from parry rule, when they are in front only, CC.

Regarding the list, gunlines aren't a viable solution any more in Warhammer, even if you get Thorek.
    Too many T4+ fast close combat units around.
    Last edited by Apoll; December 31st, 2008 at 09:41. Reason: It was late and too much shooting was goin on on this thread :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

The Dwarf Army Book doesn't have a throwaway take-up-space unit like Clanrat Slaves. Even basic Dwarfs are well-equipped, highly-skilled and disciplined. You have no choice but to pay for all that, even if you just want them to act as a speed bump before your guns.

To that end, you might as well try and use those expensive units you're being forced to pay for.

Apoll is right, though. Dwarf Gunlines, of both the Thorek and non-Thorek varieties, were significantly abused in the previous edition and much of what has gone into 7th ed. army design has been with a nod towards ensuring that the shiny, new army will not simply be blown to bits while marching toward an old army.

An all-war machine list will be boring to play and boring to play against; and it will also lose more than it wins; getting repeatedly and reliably pasted once your opponents figure out how to crack it.

I'm not trying to force my opinion on you, because I love my Dwarf Cannons as much as anyone, but I think your info on the Dwarfs may be a little out-of-date.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

+ Reply to Thread